“wonderful---wonderful---oscars” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 81 Hotels in Laganas
oxford
“wonderful---wonderful---oscars”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

Just arrived back from Zakynthos today. Oscars was one of the best hotels at a very cheap price we have been to in many a year, and we travel a lot. How do you do it Costa?
The husband and wife team were helpful, friendly, and put in long hours to make our stay 100%

Our room were very clean and you had all you needed for cooking even a TOASTER,
The room had a flat screen T V and a lovely balcony overlooking the amazing pool that was spotless and illuminated at night.

I will be going back again but not with TOM COOK and their old planes with cramped leg room, I travel with Ryanair a lot and you have far more newer planes and more leg room.

I will be booking direct on the Oscar web site next year and getting a cheap flight over with easy jet,or similar budget airline.

I have no hesitation in recomending this hotel---

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Greek first
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

My partner and i booked the oscar as a last min deal, we wer a bit wary after reading some bad reviews.... but we shouldnt have worried. The hotel was very clean and the staff wer very helpful and friendly. We met a lot of nice people whilst we wer there and we will keep in touch with all of them. Kostas, yannis nicoletta thanks (yammas). The hotel is about 30mins to the beach but the hotel runs a bus free of charge, it stops about 15:30 tho. We wanted a relaxing holiday and thats what we got. Dont listen to the bad reviews, go and try it for yourself!!!! We are already speakin about goin back again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

This was a great holiday. The rooms at the oscar were fab, we were on the top floor overlooking the pool and the rooms had everything we needed. The pool was very big and the entertainment provided by Arnie was excellent and there was something on every night. There was not a restaranut at the hotel so every evening we wandered down to the main strip (about a 10 minute stroll) to eat. Oscar appartments are a little out of the way but a nice stroll back after eating was just the ticket. There was a kids club which provided us with a few hours of peace and quiet while our little-un was being entertained by the very friendly reps. We met some lovely people there and really enjoyed our holiday.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Essex, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

We arrived at Oscar’s Hotel in the morning and were pleasantly surprised by the initial view of Oscar’s. The pool was inviting and holiday makers seemed relaxed and happy. Once we got to our hotel room was a reasonable size and clean. The bath room was a wet room and the Greeks have the shower head only half way up the wall. Meaning to have a normal show you have to hold the shower head with your hand !
However the kitchen area was small, so if you have book this hotel to go self catering, then you really were not able to cook much at !
The toilet did not flush at first, and we reported the fault and the next day it was fixed. The sink plugs did not seal, so retaining the water was an issue. Also the water was not always hot, so having showers in the evening was a game of choosing the right day in the day to shower !

Laganas it self is about 30 minute walk away or 30 minutes bristly walking ! !
In Laganas the best restaurant in my opinion is Sirroco, with 10% off your meal every time with a free drink after your meal, also some free garlic bread as way !
You just need to get a complimentary card of the tout out side the restaurant.

Over all the hotel was not bad at all really, just bear in mind the self catering facilities are very limited !

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

Having come back from the Oscar in September, I can understand some people having reservations about the Oscar, but this is nothing to do with the hotel owners. Thomas Cook should accept the blame for advertising this as an 18-30 hotel.
The Oscar has a deserved reputation as an excellent hotel, how many family hotels have been given the Marque of Excellence by a major tour operator.
We have been going to the Oscar for many years and will continue to do so, yes things change but this does not affect the high standard of the hotel. I have noted in some of the comments that staff are described as rude, I have never encountered this. Rooms were described as dirty, in the years we have been going to the Oscar we have never had a problem. The apartments have been cleaned to a high standard and the maids are always polite. We have made many friends over the last decade at the Oscar, people who return year after year. If this was an unfriendly hotel do you think that this would happen.
If you are going to the Oscar next year don't be put off by others uncomplimentary comments, go make your own decision. Costas, Nicoletta and Ellie and all the staff will make you welcome. Looking forward to going next year and having a great two weeks.
If you go into Laganas, try the Sirrocco, great food, also the Paradise 10 minutes from the Oscar

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
hertfordshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

Ok my husband and I arrived at the Oscar Apartments where we were greeted in reception - we were told that our room was not yet ready but would be ready in 10 mins. After 15 mins my husband went back to get the key only to be told it was still not ready. Finally an hour after arrival the room was ready. The room itself was basic and the bathroom was quite grubby and I certainly would not recommend it for those who plan to cook whilst they are staying at this hotel as there was a one ring plug in hob and lack of cooking utensils.

We then decided to wonder down to the pool area. After sitting at the pool for about 15 minutes we were surronded by flies constantly. We moved into the pool bar where the flies were even worse.

We were told that the walk to the beach was 10 mins. Both my husband and I both walk quite quickly and it took 35 minutes from leaving the hotel to arrive at the beach!! Although the hotel lay on a courtesy bus to the beach this only runs between 10.30 and 2.50pm - not great in the evening when you want to go for a meal in Laganas.

There is only one Taverna opposite the hotel (after eating at this taverna both me and my husband suffered with upset stomachs). The nearest taverna thereafter is in Laganas which like I said previously is a good 30 min walk.

In respect of 18-30's being at the hotel, there were a couple of groups of teenagers but they were well behaved and never caused us any problems.

I dont think I would ever return to this hotel due to the location and I wouldnt recommend it for those travelling with children who want to be close to all amenities.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

Pretty mixed views leaning to the good side I would say. We arrived in the middle of the night and were shown to possibly the worst room I've ever been given on holiday. It was in the basement, or lower ground shall we say with a banana tree right in front of it, so no sun hit the sunken balcony! However, when I requested a change, we received possibly the best room in the complex, room 308, poolside view and the sun ALL day!! Much better. Flat screen TV, decent shower in a half bath and a shower curtain (pretty unusual for Greece). Whole hotel was clean and well kept.

Didn't need to pay a 100 Euro Deposit on arrival like some other people mention, and made use of the free bus into Laganas, as it is a 20 minute walk to the top of the strip. Unless you are buying drink in the happy hour, it's not that cheap, and although you would fully expect to pay a little more for imported stuff like Strongbow 3.60 euro for a 275ml bottle is a bit much!!!!

Plenty of sun beds available free of charge around the pool and the pool area was nice.

Not sure I would rush back, but I wouldn't panic if I ended up somewhere similar in the future.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Oscar Hotel? Share your experiences!