“Great Holiday - a trip is what you make it” 4 of 5 stars

Majestic Spa Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Road, Laganas 29100, Greece   |
Ranked #50 of 81 Hotels in Laganas
London
“Great Holiday - a trip is what you make it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

As with a number of others, we were somewhat concerned after reading some of the reviews on here, however we all had a lovely time and were not at all disappointed.

Hotel: The hotel is located right behind the main strip, yet we could not hear anything from within our hotel room - the only disturbances we had of an evening was fellow residents making a lot of noise coming back from clubbing (staff did try to make them keep quiet).

Bar: Once the bar staff knew I was with my family, they were happy for me to take a drink for each family member - you only need to let them know... some have said the drinks are watered down - so what if they are, you can keep going back up.... The cocktails are a little strong, so you may want to put a little lemonade in :-)

Pool: There is a lovely large pool, however there are a number of tiles coming off - gave my boys a lot of fun collecting them each day. It may also look a little cloudy, but they are battling against the gallons of suntan lotion being worn each day!

Room: Our room was spacious, with an LCD TV, and cool neon lights in the ceiling. The bathroom was a good size too. Aircon was extra, but worth it. As with most hotel rooms in the Med, it was quite basic but comfortable.

Staff: I found all the staff to be fine in the hotel - some may come across a little grumpy, but were fine when you got to know them.

Food: The food did get a little "samey" so we did eat out occasionally - had we not been able to do this we would have been happy to have eaten in each day.

The hotel does have a number of 18-30 guests, and there is not a massive amount for kids to do, but mine found the pool and little play area fine - with the friends they made, they were able to play nicely.

There is also a nightclub connected to the hotel and whilst we were there, you could also make use of the all inclusive band in there for a large number of cocktails.

The beach is just down the road should you want it, and there are a number of restaurants and shops just outside the hotel.

The hotel is a short trip from the airport, so probably cheaper to get a taxi than paying for transfers (was 17 Euro each way).

The hotel also has a gym and spa, but costs extra - and was quite expensive so we did not make use of this at all, so cannot comment on the facilities - they looked good though.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

booked this hotel through reputable travel agent so expected it to be of high standards.staff were rude an unhelpful the food was very repeditive ,tasteless,so lived mostly on salty chips the whole week,was expecting a snack bar but all that was on offer was one half of a sandwhich on stale bread.soft drinks were tasteless squash was two strong as was cocktails all practically undrinkable .our room was at the bk an faced a road and every night reg as clockwork groups of young lads would race up an down beepin there horns an shoutin ,this went on everynight so twice asked 2 move rooms but never happened yet was warned by security 1 night because we we havin a bath ?????? overall no atmosphere whatsoever .on the positive side the hotel was situated central of the strip an within 5 mins of beach and had a free bar till 11.30 outside and drinks were well priced in all other bars.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

I would like to start by stating that this is my first review. I said to myself I would do this when we returned as the reports on this hotel were so varied. To be honest, on the whole, I found them more confusing than helpful. I can only give you our opinion, but I hope it helps someone.

To give it some context, this was the first holiday my partner and myself had had together, and it had been 6 years since either of us had had a beach/pool holiday so we had high hopes and were really looking forward to it. We have an average age of 40 but are both young at heart!

To summarise, The Majestic is more of a 3 star then a 4 star. That said, it suited our needs and we had a fabulous time.

We were drawn by the concept of all inclusive. The main reason for this was it meant that we didn't have any extra costs during the day by the pool. Our intention was always to go and investigate Laganas of an evening and dine out, which we did. We were therefore not let down by the meals on offer at the hotel. In fact the all inclusive wrist band was attached around our wrists as soon as we walked throgh the door, despite it being 7.30am (which meant we could go for much needed breakfast at 8am). There is a filtered water tap on the bar which is self service and much needed in the high temperatures (40 degrees plus). We can only comment on the beer (!) which did not taste watered down. It is local beer, but this is lovely to be honest. There was also barrels of wine, mixed cocktails and soft drinks. All meals were served buffet style and had a good selection (yes, it is the same each day, but you can't expect gourmet). The only poor show were the snacks (only pre prepared cheese and ham sandwiches at the bar) but to be honest there isn't too long to wait between meals.

The beach is a ten minute walk down the Strip. Once there the noise disappears and you get a lovely sea breeze. The beach itself isn't that deep so you can sit and dine out within metres of the waves genlty lapping against the shore. We found a couple of fantastic restaurants (Cool Peppers, Horizon) and a couple of great bars to chill in. There are a lot of people enticing you into their bars/restaurant etc, however, as a guests at Majestic, you won't get as much hassle as they clock the red all inclusive wrist band!

We were amazed at how little we could hear from the Strip at the hotel. The only issue with noise we had was internally from the corridors as they are really hard, so sound bounces. However, I would say there is a certain element of luck with this, as it depends who your neighbours are! However, we were pleasantly surprised by the variety of people staying.. families, couples and groups.

The rooms each have balconies. We were on the ground floor away from the pool. Our first thoughts were that we were disappointed. However, as the week went on it became apparent that we had struck lucky as our room stayed surprisingly cool. It's location meant that it didn't get the sun until 6pm ish. Consequently we didn't need the air con once! We decided to pay for a safe (15 euros) but we didn't hear of any issues with security during our stay. Each room has secure shutters (which also help keep them cool). The shower is one of the annoying features as it doesn't have a holder so you have to hold it with one hand. However, due to the temperatures you can rest it on the taps and not feel cold whilst shampooing etc!

On the subject of bathrooms, we had clean towels every day. Our rooms was kept clean, as was the rest of the hotel, and the house keeping/cleaners were very pleasant and efficient, despite reading to the contrary on here. I can only speak as we found. In fact we had a bizarre incident with water from the balcony above one morning, so we mentioned it to reception and it had been dried and sorted by the time we got back to our room a couple of hours later.

The pool is lovely and has a separate childrens area at the one end. We were impressed with the availability of sunbeds. Despite coming to the pool late most days (11/11.30am) there was only one day that we didn't get one. I think a lot of families head to the beach and go on trips during the day, which helps, but there are certainly plenty to go round. Sould you head to the beach, the sunbeds are about 5 euros, but there are several bars which will do them for free if you buy a drink/snack from them.

And finally, a note about taxis. We had booked the hotel and flights independant of one another so had no transfers included. A taxi to or from the airport will set you back 18 euros despite it being approx 5km away (we checked at reception and they confirmed that this is right).

Overall, I would say if you are realistic about what to expect you won't be disappointed at the Majestic.

Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

After booking this holiday THEN reading the reviews I was very worried that wehad wasted our money. I was wrong!
We (Mr partner, 28 and I, 22) booked our holiday with Olympic holidays and flew with Sky Wings. When we arrived in Zante airport we were expecting to get on a shuttle bus to take us to the hotel, but because we were the only two going (my partner and I) we were put in a taxi which was great!

Arrived at the hotel which is on the main strip of laganas but set back slightly. The reception staff were friendly and checked us in very quicky! (Although they didn't want to look at our passports which is different to anyother place I have been!) You do have to pay to use the air conditioning in your room, but this is the same in most, if not all, of the hotels in Zante. It was 35 euros for the week well spent! Although some people did not buy it and managed with out it! We didn't pay for the safe and locked our things in the suitcaase as we were worried from previous reviews. No theft whatsoever! We accidently left 10 euros out when the cleaners came in and we were not there. It was still there when we got back! We didn't hear of any theft when we were at the hotel either.

The hotel room was cleaned everyday. We had a poolside view. We could not hear anything at night - it was very peaceful and slept with ease. The bathroom had a bath in and a shower head that was connected to the taps but no where to hang the shower head up so we held it when we wanted a shower. We could have a bath but the plug didn't hold the water in very well! I have read that the soap dishes were mouldy etc. They weren't! They were tarnished as they look like they are coated with stainless steel rather then being made completely out of it. The rooms had blue LED lights around the ceiling which was a nice effect at night. Friends that we met on holiday had a garden veiw room and i think they are a bit smaller. The bath definitely is as it was half size!

The previous comments of the bar staff being rude weren't true in our case! I can see how some people might think the man was stroppy (he has one of those faces!) but he was very pleasant when we got chatting with him! It does say only 1 drink per person at the bar but I always got at least two. I just don't think they want you to take the mick! A choice of four alcoholic cocktails and numerous spirits, soft drinks and the local Mythos beer were all included in the 'all inclusive'. I definitely don't think the alcoholic drinks were watered down - very strong indeed! It's more like a dash of coke and fill the rest up with vodka! :) Queues were also ok at night, even though there was normally only one person on. Bar snacks incluced snadwhiches (cheese or cheese& tomato or cheese&ham) and icecream.

There is no nighttime entertainment. But, the hotel owns the 'Fishbowl' cocktail bar that is just in front of the hotel. Here you can get cocktails free from 9pm-11:30pm. The list it vast and to anyone not staying in this hotel it costs them 5 euros per drink! They are freshly made in front of you and are very tasty! Even the barman! :P

The food! This was ok. A good choice of salad, spaghetti and chips were always on offer. With the meats changing at lunch and dinner. Lots of bread to have and deserts. The breakfast was a choice of cold and hot foods - what you would expect but with chips on offer again!! The only downside to the food was that they didn't cater for vegetarians very well (myslef being one) but I am used to this when I go abroad. It did get a bit boring after a few days but that is no different to any other all inclusive holiday I have been on. (There are some great restaurants offering some great deals on the strip that we visited a few times in the evening to vary it a little!) There was a microwave that you could heat up your food in, but i never needed it. It was always warm enough. I was there when they first served the food so that could be why.

The pool. People previously complained about the tiles being loose. They were! And lots of them. I think it was a game for the children to see who could collect the most! Even though this sounds a problem, the tiles were tiny mosaic tiles that were plastic and were not sharp so it was harm to anyone. What would you rather, them close the pool to fix it? Or to keep it open? I am sure when they close for the winter that they will repair it. There were plenty of sunbens throughout the day. Never had to get up at 6am to put the towel out! I did not get 'sucked' by the filters or knew anyone else to while on holiday.

I did not use the spa and it did look empty most days. The toilets that you would use if you were by the pool were down by the spa, and are in need of an update as one toilet doesn't have a door on! But you could always go back to you room.

The hotel's guests were mainly families and couples with a few groups. I don't think it is the best hotel for big young groups of people even though it is on the main strip. Not a big number of brits at this hotel, lots of greek, spanish, italian and a few germans.

This hotel is 4* in terms of hotels in Zante. It is not as developed as other countries and 4* in other countries may be better. Whether this is right or wrong is not for me to decide but it is definitely one of the best hotels in Laganas.

Had a fantastic holiay and would reccomend this hotel to friends.

Room Tip: Poolside view - slightly bigger rooms and fullsize bath.
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Myself and my friend went to zante for a week on the 27th july 2011 - the pool was lovely, the room was ok - but i think its bad how you have to pay 50 euros for the air con ( which sends you ill) and the safe. ALL ALCOHOLIC drinks taste of petrol!!!! and the food is always the same and does not taste the best!! ... the staff are very rude and do not try and be cheerful .... the bar staff said " you english are weird" because some one left their drink and he thought it was mine and i didnt want it... very offended!! would recommend if you could pay 400 pound - no more!!! ALSO DO NOT ATTEND ZERO'S BAR CRAWL - THE ORANGE T SHIRT - THEY PUT UP YOUR PRICES FOR YOU DRINK - ( A STAFF MEMBER TOLD US ON THE NIGHT ) PURE CON!!! DONT FALL FOR IT!! but over all zante was amazing.. the strip is brilliant... fish bowl ..linikers...cocktails and dream... pure bliss..amazing week!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Yes unless you're 18--30 and don't really care what your food or drink tastes like avoid at all cost. The food was awful the only meal we could eat was the toast and boiled eggs for breakfast and that was when the toaster was working! The drinks were just as bad, I dont normally have a problem with cheap vodka but I wouldn't even put that vodka in a car engine.
The staff are rude and very unhelpful even when you smiled and tried to be nice. I think the staff must have been sentenced to work there. There is no entertainment at night not even background music. There were tables full of people playing cards at night and the kids were playing on the sunbeds around the pool.
In fairness to the 18-30's staying there I did feel sorry for them. They had booked this holiday expecting fun etc and all they got were us oldies (40ish) complaining about the noise they were making.
We did book a the last minute at a cost of £1,300.00 for just one week but the cost was an awful lot more due to having to eat and drink out. At the end of the day we could have booked a luxuary week away somewhere else. Never again!!!!!!!!!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011 via mobile

Service crap misrible people accept
For the aussi girl pool forling apart
Very noise 18/30 coming back at
5.30am avoid hotel don't go laganas

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Majestic Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!