“Santorini Kamari in August” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kamari

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
amsterdam
“Santorini Kamari in August”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

We are 61 and 55 years old and we stayed for 2 weeks in Kamari, Rose bay hotel.
It was very busy the first week, very many Italians. The second week was noticeable quieter. Italians start work from 1st of September.
Not a quaint Greek village but very touristy with a kilometre long boulevard full of restaurants. The waiters are a bit pushy to get your custom but after a few days they recognise you and leave you in peace. The food is good and cheap but drinks are sometimes expensive. €3.00 to €4.50 for a 50cl beer and €8.00 for a cocktail is average. Main courses €8.00 to €12.00 but not many vegetables to go with the meal. Greeks are very friendly and even if you don't buy something in their shop it's no problem. Santorini is the most expensive Greek Island and if you visit OIA and FIRA you will find the prices can double. Check the menu before you sit down there.
There are so many restaurants to choose from and the boulevard is car free and flat to walk on. No steps and steep hills as in FIRA and OIA. Kamari is in my opinion the best place on the Island as a basis to visit the rest of the island. We used local buses and excursions from Kamari tours. We didn't need a car as we managed to visit most places this way. There are a couple of English bars in Kamari, The Groove arms plays great music and has live music a couple of times a week. The Liver bird is worth a visit, Wayne and Sheila from Liverpool are the owners. The Arion bay hotel bar has Ilias who is a great barkeeper. Speaks Greek German and English fluently, even tells jokes in those languages. Kamari is not a place for clubbers, hardly any discos. No " Larger louts" and "Chavs" to be seen here, thank god. The water taxi to Perrisa is great experience. We climbed the mountain road to the top of Kamari, takes about an hour up and 45 mins down, worth doing for the great view. We would recommend Kamari to people who like a bit of life at night but also like some peace during the day.

Northeast
“Relaxing Kamari”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

No one goes to Santorini for the beaches but Kamari does try to bill itself as a beach resort which it is if you don't mind nothing more than a band of black pebbles fringing the Aegean Sea. There was a site advertising all the usual watersports - ringos, jet ski's ect but it was closed the whole time we were there.
Kamari is mostly a long beach front promenade with an abundance of bar/cafes, restaurants and gift shops with a few side streets from this with more of the same. There were very few children evident with most visitors seemingly couples of various ages. We did not see a club of any sort though bars and restaurants are open late. There is definately a sedate, laid back feeling about the resort with main pastimes being meanering along the front breezing in and out of gift shops and lazing around in bars and restaurants people watching. There are lots of places to hire a car, quad or moped. We found car hire started at 30E per day including insurance. It is a lovely resort which doesn't benefit from being on the side of the island with the world famous sunsets but none the less it is a beautiful place.

Worcs
“not for me”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Don't get me wrong, Santorini is a beautiful island and I would definitely recommend it. However, Kamari is everything I don't like about a place: It was terribly busy - to be fair, we went bang in the middle of August so I expect it's not always like that. It was really noisy, with semi-clad couples on quads and scooters shooting past every second. I also found the fumes of all the vehicles quite intolerable. The tavernas, bars and restaurants may be the stuff dreams are made of for some, but I just found it all too manufactured and insipid. The prices were quite good though. I hated seeing all the birds in cages; after a glass of (terrible) wine, I was ready to free them all. The beach was OK, with safe and easy access to the sea.

Oia and Fira in the North and places in the South were a world away and felt much more Greek. Even the sea seemed more tranquil in these areas.

I would stay clear of Kamari if you like peace and quiet, but if you like everything on your doorstep, then I'm sure you'll love it.

Bergen
“My favorite place on the greek islands”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

If you want to relax and enjoy lovlely and romantic atmosphere you should visit Santorini, a small greek island in the Cyclades.
Here you also can enjoy sweeming nice clean water.

And did you know that most of the photos from greek islands are shot at Santorinin in the pitoresque small village Oia.

Kamari Santorini Greece
“My favorite restaurant in Kamari”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

Navy's Club....the best restaurant of santorini!...aaa sorry the best in all the greece..maybe the best gnocchi al pesto and linguini salmon that i have never eaten in all my life....hoping all of u r good i wish to see u soon in santorini!

Been to Kamari? Share your experiences!