“Nicest people ever; comfortable; great value -- can't ask for more” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Ostria

You added Villa Ostria to your Saves list
Villa Ostria
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   Kamari 874 00, Greece   |
Ranked #13 of 43 Specialty Lodging in Kamari
Chicago, IL
“Nicest people ever; comfortable; great value -- can't ask for more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

I stayed here while traveling by myself and happened to get very sick, so I ended up spending a lot of time in my room. It was a large, sunny, immaculate, quiet studio with a small kitchen and private balcony, all for an unbelievable price -- I was almost afraid to book it at first because I thought it must be too good to be true. But even more so than the pretty rooms and the walking distance to Kamari Beach, by far the best part of the villa was Kostas and his family. Warm, kind, happy people. They personally drove me to the airport even though I was coughing uncontrollably, and his wife even poured me half of her own cough medicine to take with me. Would recommend this place to anyone in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Hamarøy,Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

This was our third stay in Villa Ostria. We brought all our 4 grown up children this time and had two appartments. When you enter the gate from Kamaris main street and walk into Villa Ostrias garden, you are in a quiet oasis! The friendly atmosphere,comfortable apartments/studios are so nice. If you miss something in your apartment etc., just tell Kostas and he will fix it for you. He even supplied our boys with a mountainbike! We really enjoy talking to Kostas and Selina and to look at their two children play in the garden. Its so nice to come back to this place and feel almost at home - we sure will come back again! Villa Ostria has a central position perfect for climbing the mountain, going to the beach and away from the noise from the airplanes that can bother you some places in Kamari. Thank you from all of us and see you again another year!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Milano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

My boyfriend and I have just come back from Santorini. We spent one week in Villa Ostria and we were very satisfied with it. It's charming, real greek style location next to shops and restaurants. Whatever you need, is just around the corner from the Villa, and the famous Kamari "black sand beach" is at walking distance. Our apartment was large, full of light and real confortable.The owners are very very nice and easy-going. When we travel we like a cosy, familiar atmosphere, and Villa Ostria really suited us. (Federica, Milano - Italy)

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Bath, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

Just come back from a lovely week in Santorini this summer. Was a bit worried about the heat and crowds - but there was a lovely sea breeze and it was not unpleaseantly busy, particularly away from the key central spots.

Villa Ostria is run and owned by Costa a very friendly local greek and his wife who is from Finland. They are genuinely warm and welcoming throughout the stay. The rooms are mini villas with lovely self catering facilities with comfortable dining room lounge areas as well as very clean bathroom and perfectly spacious bedroom area. The rooms are cool and built of thick stonework in a beautifully artistisic and local style, all white washed interiors. They also have air conditioning and a safe included with the price. The rooms all have outdoor balcony areas facing onto the peacful courtyard garden area which Costas lovingly tends each morning. So I can highly recommend this as a place to stay. You can use the pool in the hotel opposite for free or stroll down to the sea which is only 4 minutes walk away.

We booked with them directly - they dont advertise much - so find thier web site on line - it has about three pages with some photos of the villas facing onto the garden courtyard made up with crazy paving. On it you will find the email and they are quite quick to respond and then you can confirm your reservation directly with them and you just pay when you are there. It is one of the cheapest places - as it does not have its own pool and it is not located on the sea front. Cost about 60 euros a night for two people in their peak season.

Kamari is a nice relaxing and reasonably sophisticated little resort. There are lots of places to eat on the sea front, some specialise in fresh fish, others do nice fresh pasta and some have stone ovens for pizza - so it is pretty clear what they specialise in. We are vegetarian and found lots of the greek food great - particularly the tapas/ appetisers which were large enough for a meal.

Another highlight was the open air cinema which is about a ten minute walk out of Kamari on the main road. It is beautifully designed and a really fun expereince. Get there early and see the silent movies before the film and enjoy their cocktails.

I hope this informaiton is useful. I really enjoyed staying at villa Ostria and know that there is so little information about it on the internet that I thought I would write this to update the previous reviews.

Submittted by a 35 year old couple from Bath, England

• Liked — Beautifully set out, nice space and facilities, value for money, friendly owners
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2007

This review might read like payed for - it is. It was payed for with a genuine experience in one of the most tourist-runover places in the world.
We stayed at the Villa Ostria Hotel in end of season 2006. I know it's a bit late for review, but hey - avrio, as the greeks would say.

We chose the place mainly for a lack of money, and were rewarded with our best location on santorini yet.

A couple of days ago I called the owner, because I've lost the EMail adress, and he remembered us in a second - just by my first name. Alright, we did spend some time with him - we've been taught tavoli, one of the greek backgammon versions, and drowned a couple of souvlakis with a little amount of beer.

No, it's not a party hotel - it's just that famous greek hospitality known as "filoxenia". We've never encountered it that openly, in a beautifully relaxed and quiet place.

The Hotel complex is located right at the foot of the Mesa Vuono, a nice short stroll to the beach. While there is sun during daytime, there's welcomed shade in the the evening, and everything stays nice and cool, even without a/c.
As Kamari is one of the less expensive tourist centers on santorini, not being right at the promenade this is a plus, not a drawback - all hotels right at the beach are right at the promenade as well, lots of them have the pool facing the promenade. The Ostria, on the other hand, has a beautiful atrium-like garden, all of the buidings are traditionally scattered around it, some with their own sundeck, some with a private backyard terrace. It's calm, and a beautiful retreat from the hustle and bustle.

The rooms are spotlessly clean and well kept, have a small kitchenette, some of them sport a sofa and seperate bed with a brick built basis (perfectly comfortable!).

Kostas and Family (His wife and two kids, daughter is 16 months now son is somewehere around 4 years old) are living on the premises and are doing everything themselfes, his father is helping out with the gardening.

Alright, what could some people think of as a drawback? There is no restaurant or breakfast service, which means you have the choice of all nice restaurants in kamari. There is no pool, but you're welcome to use the nicely - set pool of a hotel right opposite of the ostria, and welcome you are. We never once felt like "guests from the other hotel there". The kitchen and bathrooms are older, but absolutely (!) not substandard, and again spotlessly clean.

What I'm about to say is, I love this place. Alright, there's places more luxurious when you're speaking facilities. But never I did encounter a place more lovable. We've spent three nights in athens right before coming to the ostria, in a 5-Star 250 bucks per night marble palace, concierge and everything. Would I have to choose, I'd choose the ostria, gladly. On Santorini, you won't get closer to greece than at the ostria.

We're about to spend our honeymoon there in April 2008 - even my wife, who likes the odd bit of luxury, never questioned our hotel on santorini even once. It's the ostria, full stop.

Other nice things to go to, my recommendation:
Lucky's souvlakis, right on the main road in Thira
Cassanova bar & hotel, Thira as well
Tipi, cycladic jewelery shop, Oia
Dolphin's Restaurant, northern area of kamari promenade

• Liked — The overall feel of genuine hospitality
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
N. Norfolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2006

A handful of well-equipped studios and apartments, beautifully arranged around a lovingly-tended garden, in contrast to the formal, rectangular hotels which predominate in Kamari. A quiet Cycladic oasis, screened from busy Kamari but with fabulous views of the great limestone slab of mountain behind, which itself provides some welcome evening shade.
Very convenient for a good bakery, supermarket, and the well-priced Sellada taverna. Try the walk up the zigzag path (not the zigzag road) to the Zoodohous Piyis church, cave and spring for spectacular views of Kamari.
Run by the very friendly, chatty, enthusiastic Kostas - PS congratulations on your new daughter!
Easy to book online on their website.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2006

Villa Ostria provided us with a peacful haven from the hustle and bustle of Kamari.

In a town where every other shop is a motorbike rental outlet being able to walk without a revving 50cc engine behind you is a must. The gardens of Villa Ostria provide this outlet.

The Villa can be found at the south of Kamari below the mass of Profitas Ilias, the mountain that dominates the skyline behind the town. However, blink and you'll miss the entrance which has a wooden arch bearing the name of the villa.

I do not think that I have seen a better presented garden anywhere in Greece. Kostas, the owner, and his father will be found in the early morning or evening tending to the garden which is one of the major attractions of this apartment complex.

There are only a handful of apartments/studios at Villa Ostria which adds to the intimacy and privacy of the setting. We were lucky enough to have apartment 3 which benfited from having a small patio to the rear by the kitchen, to catch the sun in the morning, access to the garden from the bedroom, to catch the sun the afternoon, and a front patio with table and chairs to catch the last rays of the sun before it disappeared behind the mountain (on it's way to satisfy the queues waiting for a sunset at Oia, no doubt!).

Kostas made us feel very welcome at the Villa, occaisionally leaving some fruit from the garden on the table outside the front door in the morning. I do not think that I have ever heard a Greek laugh so much!

• Liked — Peace and quiet
  • Tips/Secrets — You can use the pool at the Matina Hotel opposite, free of any charge!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Villa Ostria? Share your experiences!