“I wanted to give a good review but......” 1 of 5 stars

Acqua Vatos Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Street, Kamari 84700, Greece   |
Ranked #21 of 75 hotels in Kamari
swindon
“I wanted to give a good review but......”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I really wanted to give this hotel a good review, but the owner/manager (George) was so rude and arrogant that I can't. The hotel made a mistake with our booking, putting 2 80+ year old ladies for whom we had booked a twin room into a double room. (we had made it absolutely clear that we needed two separate beds, initially booking a triple room but being advised by George that this was not necessary). They claimed that as it had 2 mattresses it was a twin, but the mattresses are on a raised plinth and cannot be separated, and were against a wall on one side meaning that to get out of the bed would require climbing over the other person. The staff were helpful and the resolution meant the ladies were upgraded to the suite - unfortunately we had booked this for 2 days for my daughter + bridesmaids to get ready for the wedding. This meant that the 2 ladies and the father and mother of the bride had to change rooms twice in 3 days. It also meant that the mother and father of the bride had to get ready for the wedding in a room without adequate washing facilities. After the second move the manager informed me that his boss said I should pay extra for the extra (inadequate) room. I said that perhaps I should talk to him as I felt that we should pay less because of the disruption. He turned up 4 days later, 30 mins before we checked out. He stormed in shouted my surname across a crowded reception, then said I am the manager, why have you dragged me down here, why are you wasting my time and why won't you pay your bill. No hello or any introduction, just abuse. I suggested that perhaps we should go somewhere quieter and sit down to discuss it amicably, but he was too busy storming around - telling us he knew everything about running hotels, and what a very important man he was.This went on for about 25 mins, and dragged in several other members of the group, and reduced my wife to tears. At no time did I refuse to pay the bill - in fact the hotel could not even provide me with one - instead scribbling figures on a scrap of paper to try to add up the costs of 5 rooms.
I emailed the hotel on my return to see if any explanation was forthcoming, but the only reply I received was a proper copy of the bill. George is the rudest person I have ever come across, and as he is the over manager and apparently the owner I could never advise anyone to stay in this hotel. Shame really as the rest of the staff were great, the location is terrific, and the hotel very pretty. The rooms are very clean, though small, and there are hotels just as good available for far less money. George however tried very hard to ruin our holiday in the last half hour we were there, and has made no attempt to explain this or apologize. There were at least 10 witnesses to this outburst, which even seemed to embarrass his own staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Eastbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We enjoyed a wonderful stay at this lovely friendly hotel. The staff were so welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. Everything was clean and comfortable both inside and outside the hotel. The pool area was lovely and I enjoyed a swim every morning at 8 a.m. The breakfast was really nice and I am only sorry that I can't eat eggs because otherwise I would have happily eaten all the beautiful pies and cakes which changed on a daily basis. Nevertheless I had plenty of choice from the museli, greek yogurt and various breads, meats and cheese. It is really good that you can get hot drinks 24 hours a day from the machine in the breakfast room and it is all free. The hotel is located only a short walk from the seafront with the many restaurants but it is nice and quiet even though it is close to the busy areas.
If you have booked to stay at this hotel you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
George_Acqua_Vatos, Director of Sales at Acqua Vatos Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing again Acqua Vatos Hotel for your holidays and for taking the time to give us your detailed and most constructive review, which is much appreciated.

We were pleased to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that overall you were satisfied with the services and amenities provided.
Thank you very much and we hope to see you again next summer !
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here on the recommendation of a colleague and were glad we did. Perfect location i.e. close to the beach and local bus stop.

It is basic but spotlessly clean. Just a couple of niggles - the room we had was very small i.e. only a little bit of room to walk round 2 sides of the bed but as this was our first visit to a Greek island, we don't know if that's the standard. Also the shower did not have a door and has approximately a 2 cm dip below the main floor. Therefore when you showered, water did spill out onto the main bathroom floor - our bathmat was constantly sodden as a result and you had to be careful on the wet floor.

The staff are absolutely lovely. Vicky on Reception was really knowledgable and helpful (and seemed to be there 24 hours a day with a smile on her face).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

After staying in two other hotels during our recent trip to Santorini, we found Acqua Vatos quite basic and not meeting our expectations. It is quite a basic hotel with some modern touches, which are not enough to make a difference. The only positive was the staff who we found very friendly and always keen to help. I was disappointed that there was no free Internet access, something that other 2 or 3 star hotels offer for free.

Overall nice place to stay, but I think it is overpriced for what it offers.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

All new staff since our last visit (except house keeping) but happy welcoming smiles and calm confidence just the same. Nothing is too much trouble for the lovely staff. The delightful Marianna serves a wonderful homemade breakfast with fresh pancakes, omelettes and filo pastry pies, she bakes delicious cakes and makes jam all served with a smile.
The large swimming pool and bar are very clean and comfortable. Overall a great place for all ages as rooms also available on ground floor and kamari is much flatter than the rest of the island

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
George_Acqua_Vatos, Director of Sales at Acqua Vatos Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Acqua Vatos Hotel for your stay and for taking time to share your kind comments.
We are constantly all working for your smile! Providing you exquisite hospitality experiences and tailor made services is a primary concern to our team and we are very glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

We thank you again for your review and we are looking forward to welcome you back to Acqua Vatos Hotel.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband and I visited the Acqua Vatos in July to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. it was my 2nd visit, having been the summer before I thought it an ideal location for our celebrations. On our arrival we were met with enthusiasm by manager Thanos and his small team who congratulated us before taking us to our room were candles and champagne awaited us. Our room was a lovely , modern design with perfect attention to detail. The room was cleaned daily and was spacious and comfortable. The hotel itself is very bright and friendly , your every need is catered for. Breakfasts are gorgeous with something new added to the menu each morning. The seating area around the hotel - in and out are very relaxing and the staff so friendly. As if all this wasn't enough, on 2nd to last day Thanos drove us to their sister hotel for the evening - we were given the most amazing suite at 'Dreams' which is situated on the Caldera - pure luxury with the most amzing views. That evening we sat and watched the sunset wondering what we had done to deserve such a perfect end to our holiday. the next morning we were served a breakfast of our choice on the terrace - every detail thought of. it was a truly magical experience. I cannot recommend the Acqau Vatos highly enough - so much so that i am back there for a third visit with girlfriends next June ( 2013) Thank you Thanos and team , see you next year

Room Tip: Rooms at the front and on the right side overlooking the pool area would be my choice
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
George_Acqua_Vatos, Director of Sales at Acqua Vatos Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your amazing review! We are delighted that you stayed with us and had a good time. We look forward to your next visit!
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We have just returned back from our wonderful holiday/wedding in Santorini. The Acqua Vatos hotel is a lovely little hotel. Less than 5 minutes and you are in the heart of Kamari with all the shops/restaurants/beach, however the hotel is quiet and you wouldnt think you were so near. The hotel has recently been renovated and is very clean and contemporary. The pool area is lovely with a pool bar selling drinks and snacks at reasonable prices. There was never a problem with getting a sunbed. The staff are lovely and made our stay at Acqua Vatos lovely, they were very helpful. The breakfast catered for most peoples tastes and changed daily. On our wedding day we returned to find a bottle of champagne chilling & many congratulations from all the staff. Thank you for a wonderful stay, would definately reommend and will hopefully be back!

Dear Guest,

Been to Acqua Vatos Hotel? Share your experiences!