“Best hotel on the island” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #60 of 75 Hotels in Kamari
Volos, Greece
“Best hotel on the island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2015

Beautiful stay, the staff was amazing, very polite and helpful! The room was clean and the food was excellent! The hotel is perfect for relaxing by the pool! A very nice and peaceful beach is very close to the hotel!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2015

At first i was a bit worried about the bad reviews but luckily i found out that the hotel is exactly as it looks in the pictures! Apart from that the receptionist and the staff made our stay comfortable and so pleasant! They gave all the necessary information for the whole island! The rooms are spacious and our bathroom was renovated so i couldn' t be more satisfied! The all inclusive has a smaller variety that expected but the food was sooooo delicious!!!
Don't hesitate to book this hotel! People there are so nice!!!!!

Room Tip: Standard type rooms are more spacious than economy
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2014

We stayed for a week in this hotel. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The all inclusive is simple, but food is home cooking type food. Local drinks are limited to ouzo, raki, white and red wine, beer, soft drinks, water, soda water and coffee and tea. Meal times 8 - 10 breakfast, 11 - 12 snacks, 13 - 14:30 lunch, 15 - 18 snacks (toasted sandwich)and ice-cream, 19:30 - 21 dinner. Drinks were inluded in the all inclusive option between 10 am and 10 pm. We thought the bar could have been open a bit longer.
Rooms are simple but very clean. Our room was facing the front and pool . Shower cubicles are very tiny - even a normal-sized person has difficulties in taking the shower in them. Hotel is in the northern end of Kamari near to the end of the airport's runway. It personally never disturbed us. This may be a drawback, but I found it facinating to follow the planes landing - planes usually approach from the south over the Kamari and Avis beaches and take off towards north. About 10 min walk to the beach street of Kamari. Wifi was free both in the rooms and in the lobby but very slow. Hotel provided pool towels, tennis and table tennis (our fav) equipment against a refundable deposit, and massage chairs (2€/8 min). There were also two computers for public use.
We hired 3 different types of quad bikes (the 450 4x4 was a fav) ask for special price and shop around. Also car hire. There is an amazing open air cinema that is possible to walk from the hotel.
We would stay again

Room Tip: Ask off pool facing for nicer view
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014

When I was placed in my room the first thing I noticed was that it smelled like bleach, must, a pool and stinky feet, and that there was hardly any natural light. The room looked NOTHING like the pictures online. Then when I took a shower there was no shower curtain or hook to hang the shower head on so the water just went everywhere and my entire bathroom flooded.

When I asked for a new room they said I could get one tomorrow. I specifically stated that I wanted one that looked like what I had booked online and I needed a shower curtain so my bathroom didn't flood. Not asking for anything spectacular, just what I booked.

When I got into the new room it appeared to be like the pics online and even had a shower curtain. Unfortunately the person who built the room forgot to put a drain in the shower! Imagine taking a shower and your feet are just soaking in water that contains on the filth from your day (See attached pic). I asked for another room and they said they were booked. I then asked for a discount and they said it wasn't possible.

Because I refused to soak my feet in filthy water as I showered, I decided to shower OUTSIDE of the shower and ended up falling and slamming my ribs on their porcelain toilette. At this point I was just livid as now I am having issues moving and even coughing because of the fall. It took three days and me having an emotional breakdown in the lobby in front of guests to actually get a new room.

The owner is a crook and cheap because she KNEW the room's shower was faulty yet kept renting it out at full price and refused to work with me. I WILL NEVER GO BACK HERE!

Room Tip: DON'T STAY HERE! Beds are hard as rocks and you'll probably get ripped off.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We have just returned for two weeks at this hotel, and did not know what to expect after reading some negative reviews.
However, we found the place to be great. Staff were friendly, courteous and helpful, rooms and all other areas very clean and well looked after.
In particular I would like to mention Pedros on reception who is knowledgable and helpful, and has a lovely sense of humour, and will fix up anything you want to do. Penelope and Dimitris in the bar and dining room were superb. Lovely people. The cleaners were efficient and friendly. Food is good, better than you'd expect for a two star hotel, but and plenty of it.
Showers are small, but at least here's now her to fall!
It's a 20 minute walk to Kamari centre, always quad bikes,scooters and cars for hire if you need it, ask Pedros, or try Sexy Motors just round the corner.
Wish I was still there!

Room Tip: We had rooms facing the sun away from the direction of the airport which is very close, but we did n...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Oulu, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Stayed for a week in this hotel. Very nice and friendly staff - especially in the bar and restaurant. The all inclusive is pretty simple, but food is tasty home cooking type food. Local drinks are limited to ouzo, raki, white and red wine, beer, soft drinks, water, soda water and coffee and tea. Meal times 8 - 10 breakfast, 11 - 12 snacks, 13 - 14:30 lunch, 15 - 18 snacks and ice-cream, 19:30 - 21 dinner. Drinks were inluded in the all inclusive option between 10 am and 10 pm.
Rooms are simple but very clean. Our room was facing the back of the hotel (and the runway). Balconies and terraces are different sized. Shower cubicles are tiny - even a normal-sized person has difficulties in taking the shower in them. If you dropped something on the floor there are very little chances of picking it up without stepping out of the cubicle. Hotel is in the northern end of Kamari near to the end of the airport's runway. This may be a drawback, but I found it facinating to follow the planes landing - planes usually approach from the south over the Kamari and Avis beaches and take off towards north. About 10 min walk to the beach street of Kamari. Fira - Aiport - Monolithos buses stop right outside the hotel entrance approximately once in an hour. Wifi was free both in the rooms and in the lobby but very slow. Hotel provided pool towels, tennis and table tennis equipment against a refundable deposit, and massage chairs (2€/8 min). There were also two computers for public use (10 - 22). Would not hesitate to stay here again if I would ever be back in Kamari.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Trondheim, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed here for a week, and having read the reviews here we decided to go in with low expectations. A lot of the negative posts talks about disturbing noise from the airport, a grumpy waiter and bad food. I would say none of these are completely true. Well, yes, you both see and hear the airplanes, but it's not like the ground shakes and stuff fly around! I actually found it kind of fascinating to watch the planes flying in over our heads when we lay on the beach. I am a light sleeper, and even in the awful bed in our room I was never awaken by a plane flying by. No grumpy waiter was to be found, so either they've fired him, or he's gotten a lot more friendly. All of the staff, and especially the hotel manager will make you feel very welcome. A good thing about the hotel being a pretty small one is that the staff recognize you and I thin that makes the stay more pleasant.

The food is not bad, but it's not gourmet either. The good thing about having all inclusive is that you can get something to eat or drink whenever you like. The bad thing is that you might end up eating at the hotel all the time, and that will put control over your schedule. We paid around $800 to stay here for a week(and that was including our flight), so we didn't have a problem with going out to eat in other restaurants. I totally recommend doing that, as it will give you quite a different tasting experience, and you also get to see the locals dine. There are a lot of good restaurants to choose between in Kamari, and it's not more than a 10-15 minutes pleasant walk there.

The pool area is nice and has a lot of sunbeds. Stay clear of the wooden sunbeds as they are way too hard without a mattress. A lot of the guests gets up early in the morning and place their towel on the sunbed, but then they don't come back for many hours. I know this is a common thing to do in these kind of places, but in my opinion it shouldn't be allowed.

The rooms in the hotel is in my opinion the biggest downside of the hotel. In our first room there was a lot of mouse droppings, and you could clearly see the room was poorly cleaned. We changed to another room, and this was better cleaned. The showers are so small that you have to plan your shower carefully before stepping into it. The bed was awful!! My back ached so much at the end of our stay, that I couldn't believe it. You can literally feel each and every spring against your body as there is no top mattress. This would be a pretty low cost investment for the hotel, so if you read this-please consider it for the welfare of your guests!

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Hotel Makarios? Share your experiences!