“Mixed bag” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 75 hotels in Kamari
Merseyside
“Mixed bag”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a 7 day break.
The staff were very friendly and polite. Cleanliness was of the highest order. Bedrooms were sufficient,couldn't complain. Location was fine, plenty bars and restaurants within a very short walk. Pool bar very enjoyable. now the downside...
The food was simply not good. It was very basic and bland. there wasn't a good selection at either breakfast or dinner. In fact, we paid for half board and ate out 6 nights out of 7.
The dining room was more like a workmans canteen, but it was very clean. My wife slipped on the wet stairs leading to the pool, something to be aware of. This hotel is definitely not a four star, so be careful. although we had a pleasant time there, we wouldn't go back to this hotel

• Stayed June 2013

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Just got back from an amazing holiday in Afroditi Venus hotel celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. We had a lovely room overlooking the pool, everything was clean and newly renovated but we didn’t spend much time in it since there’s so much to see and do in Santorini. The hotel is located on the beach at the center of Kamari so everything is nearby. The staff is friendly and helpful and the girls at the front desk gave us great tips for sightseeing. We also enjoyed our meals at Mesogaia restaurant, great food and service. We can’t wait to go back! We would like to thank you all for making our experience in Santorini one to remember. Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

I get a little fed up of "travellers" writing poor reviews because they didn't like this or that. Like all hotel experiences, I could fault this one, but we were always so well looked after that they deserve full marks across the board - particularly for cleanliness and staff friendliness. There we 3 of us, all early 40's, in Santorini for our friends wedding. We left our wives etc at home and were determined to enjoy ourselves - and we did! The hotel never let us down. Excellent bar staff, cleaners, waiters and the best receptionist I've ever come across. Sure, the breakfast was uninspiring, but so what? Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2013
Brugge, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just returned from a 2 week stay in Afroditi Venus hotel in Kamari, Santorini. The hotel presents itself as a 4 star hotel. I should give it not more than 3 stars. If you are going with this in your mind, you will be very happy there. The hotel is just clean, clean and clean!! And all the people working there are so friendly and helpful. So, that is already a lot. The location of the hotel is top. So close to the beach, the resto's, the beachpromenade, supermarkets and the busstop. The room is simple, but you have all you need, nice towels, towels for the swimmingpool, hairdryer, TV, free safe, hot shower, good toilettries, little fridge, slippers (after asking), a noisy airco, balcony with seats and table...Our room was above the reception of the hotel. It was a big room for 4 persons, but we were only with 2. So,place enough. Downstairs there was a 2 bedroom with bathroom, TV and balcony and upstairs, again a 2 bedroom with bathroom and TV. Good for a family of 4. The location of our room was excellent. We had a view at the mountains, and we had no sun on our balcony in the day, so it was refreshing to sit there, when it was outside 25°C and more, and only in the evening we had the sun and then it was already bearable and fine. The private beach of the hotel is a great plus too. Good loungers and lovely parasols and a lovely view and the refreshing sea breeze.... The area around the swimmingpool is not so big. It was just the start of the season, so now this was not a problem, but in high season, I don't know how they manage it there. So, up to now, I can just recommend the hotel. Why do I give it 3 stars instead of 4 stars? Well, just about the food. I can understand, because it was the start of the season and the hotel had little guests, that a big buffet is not possible. So the first days, we get our dinner at the table.But, please, make that the food is warm...and people don't have to eat cold pasta and cold potatos. And don't wait 3 or 4 days before giving the first fresh fruits and the first yoghourt in the morning (after asking for...)The second week, things were getting better and better. Breakfast was really OK , but for dinner, we found that the choices were repetitive and cheap. But luckily the food was getting warmer and warmer, and the taste was mostly fine. The greek salad was always lovely. It is great to have the possibility to sit outside at the swimmingpool for breakfast and dinner. The hotel has a beautiful spa too. With the local busses you can see a lot of the island. For a boattrip, make a reservation at Kamari Tours, just next to the hotel. You can also make good walks in the hinterland, bring good shoes with you! Santorini is a wonderful part of Greece!

Room Tip: Room at the streetside with mountain view, above the reception area, because of the shadow during t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bolton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We booked the hotel through thomson for our wedding holiday. We upgraded to a jacuzzi room and after several emails about not having the room for the full 2 weeks, we got a mail saying it was "99% certain". Now in my world, thats as good as sorted. We walked into reception to be told we had to move rooms!! We got married on the 3rd October, and were moved out on the 5th, to the room we were shown we had initially booked. The room had half a shower door, and the lock was damaged so we struggled to get in and out. We reported the problems the same day. Response to the shower door being damaged? we will give you more towels to mop up with..... Really? The extra towels never came. Response to the door not opening and closing easily? we will sort it. (This was the friday). On the MONDAY, after nearly bending the key trying to open the door, I went and said again it was broken, and they changed the lock. On the tuesday when checking out, I queried a price of our upgrade. The price was what we had to pay, but I told the manager I wasnt happy about the shower and lock etc, and having to move rooms after their so called 99% certainty to keep it - We could have changed hotel before we went!!! The Manager basically shouted at me and said I was interupting HER! - and heres me thinking I was the customer! Not one apology for the state of the room, and even told me I had only reported the door on the monday - basically making me out to be a liar! I was disgusted at the way I was spoken to. It was end of season, with hardly anyone there. Our other friends and family (32 of them) stayed in other hotels (Bellonias Villas, 28 Boutique, Atalos etc) and were treated better than we were by superb friendly staff (even getting recipes printed for them, free rooms until late flight out etc) - our hotel has us out of our room by 12, and wanted 40 euros for a late check out. the response when I mentioned this? "we are international hotel" etc - but an empty one at that, we had to pack, leave our room, then go into a different room to shower later (so they cleaned our room AND the room we used later - go figure...). The australian girl behind the bar was very friendly and helpful, but the manager was all smiles until we came to leave and mention the problems - and we got a gob full off her! Our friends got married 2 years ago and stayed at the tamarix - they gave them champagne for wedding day, gave them a room in their sister hotel for free for a night and bent over backwards to make their trip memorable. At the Afroditi Venus we didnt feel any different to any other customers. Oh, and dont dare have any fun in any of the pools - cos the other guests shush you - at 3 in the afternoon - so dont take the kids! I dont remember seeing anything about it being a quiet hotel. but other guests seem to thinkyou cant enjoy your holiday. I would stay somewhere else that makes you feel part of the hotel p our friends raved about the bellonias Villas, 28 Boutique, Atalos etc. Shame as we thought the rooms were nice, but having to move and then to a damaged room, when you pay all that money, just isnt good enough!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

This is at best no more than a 2 star hotel by normal standards. Location is excellent as it's right in the centre of Kamari and on the beach. I couldnt get the wifi to work for the duration of my stay despite checking at reception but there is a desktop in the lobby that can be accessed at any time. Staff are friendly but dining room staff are not so welcoming. On my first evening no one bothered to show me where to sit or how the restaurant works, it's basically a free for all. The rooms are basic and I changed as my first room was right at the poolside, very dark and couldnt open the blinds as no privacy. Second room was a bit more spacious but still quite dark. My request to move to a higher floor was ignored. Rooms are cleaned daily and the zircon worked fine.

The biggest letdown for this hotel was the food. Quite frankly it was awful and as I was on half board I had to eat out. Meat dishes were the cheapest cuts of meat and the other hot dishes dried up very quickly. Breakfast choice was varied however it was the same choices day after day. Overall if you need a basic but comfortable hotel this is fine but avoid meals. Spa prices are astronomical but there were some discounts offered to guests. That said, the location can't be beaten and it's only 15 mins to Fira by local bus. I would definitely revisit the island and Kamari but I won't go back to this hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Had a lovely week at this hotel but first the downside - we asked for an upper floor with a pool/sea view and got a view of the roof of the building next door. The receptionist was very good and gave us another room which overlooked the pool - unfortunately it was on the ground floor next to the restaurant so not the best for sitting on the terrace/balcony. The only other compaint I would have is the hotel allowing guests to put towels on the sunbeds and then not use them for several hours. Thankfully for us we prefer to laze on the beach. The hotel is not really suitable for disabled people as there are many steps and no lifts. On the upside the hotel is ideally situated for the beach and the many bars and restaurants Kamari has to offer. The staff are really helpful and friendly. We went on a B/B basis and thought there was enough choice of food to accommodate most palettes. Loved having the yoghurt, fruit and honey. The hotel is constantly cleaned and we had fresh towels everyday. It was nice to stay in a hotel in Greece with a proper bathroom and plenty of hot running water. Would recommend Mythos restaurant and bar if you don't want to walk very far and the beach service was excellent. I cannot recommend any restaurant in particular as every one of the restaurants we tried the food was excellent. We hired a car for the day and visited other parts of the island. You cannot get lost as there's only one main road and it leads you to wherever you wish to visit. Having visited other parts of the island we decided we had made the right choice for us and would definitely choose Kamari again. Prices on the island are a bit more than other parts of Greece but Santorini is their flagship and was expected.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor with a pool view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Afroditi Venus Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!