We're regular holiday-makers so weekends away are not a rare treat for us. This time we chose Shelley Point, we stayed in one of the houses on the golf course and not at the hotel as we were a fairly large group (6 adults, 4 kids).
From the moment we arrived we didn't feel welcomed. The security didn't even as much as say WELCOME TO SHELLEY POINT or even smile. It's more like a WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE, WHERE ARE YOU STAYING, PLEASE SIGN HERE NOW BUGGER OFF!
After settling we wanted to find out what's available on the country club and resort. With no obvious walkways or signage we used the golf-cart path via the golfcourse to get to the country club to see the pools.
Again, we didn't really feel welcomed by ANYONE. We were told we can only use the one pool at Cattle Baron as that is the pool available to members and we stayed in a member's house we were allowed to use it.
So day two, we head off to the pools. We were then told we can't use the pool as the area is being renovated. THERE WERE NO SIGNS OF RENOVATION ANYWHERE! Maybe they just didn't want us at the pools as non-hotel guests? Anyway, we stayed on because there were other guests at the pool as well.
So heading back to our holiday home, not very far from the hotel we were then told by people on the golf course that we're not allowed to use the path! THERE WERE NO SIGNS SAYING WE CANT WALK THERE!
My number one issue with Shelley Point is lack of proper communication and lack of signage. How in the world are we as visitors to your establishment supposed to know what to do if you don't indicate to us in a proper, decent and well understood manner?
There's no sign to you cant use the golf course path to walk on nor is there any other sign of a walkway to the club house.
There's also no signs leading you to the beach, it took some exploring to find a nice sandy beach.
And if you don't want people using the pools for whatever reason, please clearly indicate so!
My husband and I decided to treat ourselves to some relaxation at the Spa as the cold unfriendly pool area at Cattle Baron wasn't working for us. The Hydro Spa was not really worth R200 for two people. The pool is cold, the shower was cold, the jet shower didn't work so well, the steam room wasn't working. The only thing we enjoyed was the Jacuzzi.
Also, it baffles me that they don't have even one hot pool!
Needless to say Shelley Point won't be seeing us again. There are more than enough friendly and great resorts not too far from them that it's not really worth the drive out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BON Hotel Shelley Point, one of the finest resorts on the West Coast, is just a 90 minute drive from Cape Town. The hotel is set on a private peninsula, surrounded by beautiful sandy beaches and clear, azure waters. Whether you are staying for work or pleasure, quite simply BON Hotel Shelley Point is wonderful getaway and a place for memorable events. There is plenty to do at the resort - a 6 rink bowling green, 2 tennis courts, running trails, beach walks, sunset picnics and a fully equipped gym will keep you occupied. Our hotel boasts 84 spacious and comfortable rooms, each with the emphasis on privacy and comfort. You are spoilt for choice with Standard Rooms, Luxury Rooms and Garden Suites. Our 3 meeting rooms accommodate up to 90 delegates and provide functional, innovative spaces for one-on-one meetings, launches, large and small groups to breakaways. Full day, overnight and half-day conference packages are available. Enjoy spectacular views across the azure waters and golf course over breakfast at Sao Gabrielle, or grab a table for lunch or dinner at Sao Antonio alongside the pool deck that serves mediterranean inspired dishes and the best pizza in town! Our cocktail bar overlooking the 1st tee is witness to some spectacular sunsets. It is the perfect place to end the day and start the evening, with your favourite cocktail. Pamper yourself at our spa, while the kids are entertained at the Crazy Crew Kidz Club. Play tennis, take a splash in the pool, or try your hand at bowling. Golf enthusiasts can enjoy the challenging 9-hole links golf course which winds its way through the lush peninsula. So, whether you are planning your wedding, arranging a conference, organizing a golf tour or just simply want to get away, BON Hotel Shelley Point is the place to be! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Odigeo, Tingo and South African Hotels so you can book your BON Hotel Shelley Point reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shelley Point Hotel, Spa & Country Club Hotel St. Helena Bay
- Shelley Point Hotel, Spa And Country Club