“Excellent as ever” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Excellent as ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

excellent food and wine. We chose from the special lunch menu simply because we liked the options the most. Both the pork belly and brisket were well cooked and nicely presented. Coffee and handmade chocolates were lovely. it was a sunny day so we walked around and sat out in the garden after lunch. it was good to see the kitchen garden having eaten produce from it. The amuse bouche and hand made breads were just right. Service was efficient and attentive if a little too deferential. Fischers doesn't ever disappoint...

• Visited August 2013

Buxton
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We booked Fischer's for our wedding anniversary, having heard about it some time ago from a friend. We decided to stay and opted for one of the Garden Rooms - which was effectively a suite, very stylishly decorated with a lovely bathroom. Pre-dinner drinks in the lounge where the staff are suitably attentive - without pestering. We opted for the main menu - rather than the Taste of Britain, which in hindsight, as they are the same price, was a missed opportunity. The food was very good - well deserved of their Michelin star. An extensive choice of wines - including some good wines that wont break the bank - the Ribera del Douro is a belter. Sadly had to leave early next morning for work so didn't have chance to linger over an extensive breakfast but what we had was very good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Long Eaton, United Kingdom
“Very good food but without the wow factor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Having wanted to try Fischers for a while, I couldn't resist the lunchtime deal, £20.13 for 2 courses, £25.13 for 3, which it has to be said, is an absolute bargain for a Michelin- starred restaurant. The setting is absolutely stunning, a winding driveway leading up to a beautiful old hall, well sign-posted and easy to find. Service was very good, generally, although I had to request wine - the waitress seemed to assume we didn't want wine because we were drinking water. I had grilled mackerel for starter and salmon for main course, which, although very nice, didn't blow me away. I couldn't help wishing I'd ordered my partner's choices, pork belly followed by chicken breast, which did have a bit more of a wow factor. There's an argument for saying that you can't expect too much of a wow factor on a lunchtime deal, but I had a similar deal at Purnells in Birmingham, which really did have the wow factor. As I preferred my partner's choices, I decided to follow her dessert choice, a warm chocolate mousse with an ice cream centre, which was extremely nice. I've a feeling that going a la carte or for a taster menu would be better. I'd certainly go back and it's still a bit of a bargain for food and cooking of this quality, wow factor or not. The 'amuse bouche' was a bit bizarre.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bourne, United Kingdom
“A rare and exciting find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We researched for a night away in a fantastic restaurant. Oh my, what a fantastic place this is! We had the taste of Britain menu, which is 9 courses plus 3 pre dinner tasters and 4 post dinner chocolates/sweets! It's really very difficult to describe just how much I enjoyed this meal. Each and every thing we ate amazed with the range of taste, texture and temperature. Each course must have taken hours of effort. If you enjoy food, add this place to your bucket list! The room was great, the service impeccable and we combined the stay with a trip to Chatsworth which is a couple of mile away. This review does not do the food justice. Try it yourself, it's the only way you will ever understand how good it is...

• Visited August 2013
Sellars
“Friday Birthday Lunch 26/07/2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My Aunty took myself and my Mum for a birthday treat. I had only ever heard good reports about the restaurant and I now know why. We had the taster menu and every course was outstanding starting with BLT with a twist which delivered on taste as well as presentation and ending with the cheese selection. The service from start to finish was excellent the gardens are amazing helped by the lovely weather which meant we could have pre lunch drinks outside and coffee after lunch outside. I have nothing but praise for this place.