“Fantastic Hotel, with beautiful grounds & views” 5 of 5 stars

Cavendish Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Baslow, Peak District National Park DE45 1SP, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Baslow
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel, with beautiful grounds & views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife & I stayed in the suite on our wedding night, I can safely say it's the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in.

What can I say about the suite, other that utter luxury!

It's split over 2 floors, you get your own entrance, living/dining room, downstairs shower room and toilet. Moving up upstairs you get a large bedroom with sitting area, large comfy bed & a full size bathroom.

The views from the grounds are beautiful, overlooking fields.

The staff were great, one of them was kind enough to give me a lift to the shop in the morning to buy some headache tablets to help my wife recover from the night before.

If you want to spoil your other half & enjoy the beautiful English country side, this is for you.
It's far from cheap for the suite, but sometimes you have to spoil yourselves!

Room Tip: The suite is fantastic.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I went to the Cavendish today for a very British afternoon tea. The sandwiches were wonderful and interesting, too! The scones were fresh and still warm - delicious! The cakes were very good, too with 3 varieties. The sun shone and made it nearly perfect.
I expected the tea to be served along with the food but it arrived much earlier and so it was going cold when the food arrived. We asked for more tea and it was served but then when we left - we were charged for it. I was very shocked and paid without complaint but on reflection I do not think it was a good move at all. I am not impressed enough to return in a hurry as I feel cheated.
It could have been great but the mean approach has had a negative affect on my opinion.

Room Tip: Did not stay overnight
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
staffordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Should have guessed something was wrong when at 1pm, the conservatory for lunch was empty. Few staff, bottle of wine plonked on the table, screw top still in and told there you are!

Salad came without an offer of dressing and portion size very small. Poor lunch saved by great bread and butter dessert. No plans to revisit, pity, as my wedding reception was here.

Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

If you would like to be pampered in wonderful accommodation with delicious food and superb service, this is the place for you. The hotel sits comfortably on the edge of the Chattsworth estate and you will step back in time with their attention to you and to the detailing of their establishment. A very helpful Moira at reception greeted us and gave us a quiet room with double fronted windows looking out over the lush landscape. Eric from management welcomed us and checked each day that we had everything we needed. The waiters were wonderful also and our gluten free needs were immediately met. I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. It is very well equipped for all your needs with large rooms and lovely bathrooms. The lounge and eating areas are also delightful. Two nights was just not enough pampering!!! It has everything you would expect from a five star establishment.

Room Tip: I suspect they are all lovely but we had room 19.
nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

This was bought as a birthday gift for my husband,and we couldn't be more happy . The cavendish hotel beat all our expectations ,from our arrival to the departure we were made to feel special, We had afternoon cream tea with a glass of champagne ,about 5pm (we arrived at 4 30) in the garden. Then Shown to our room which was lovely, the view very very nice, the room had every thing you need, plenty of tea ,coffee and hot chocolate ,the bed was real nice ,!we had a great nights sleep .the evening meal was lovely,nice wine as well. Breakfast is from 7 30 am to 12, excellent so much to choose,and to top it off the staff are wonderful,and so attentive ,we will book this the cavendish again .
Thank you to all who work at making us feel so good ,well done .

• Stayed June 2013
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My daughter and I spent one night at this charming hotel to maximize our "Chatsworth" experience. We travelled to Chesterfield on the train from London, and cabbed it from the train station to the hotel, which we chose because it was on the Chatsworth property and a reasonable walk from the hotel to the house. Our room (Valkyrie) was great, very pretty and the bathroom was awesome with a large soaking tub, heated floor and towel heater as well. Room included a beverage service with coffee/tea/hot chocolate and biscuits were a nice refreshment when we arrived. As Americans we did not feel very welcome by the staff, and so chose to eat at the neighboring Devonshire Arms hotel which had a tea room, pub and AWESOME comfort food (it was cold and rainy when we arrived and the pub was much cozier than the two restaurants at the hotel, not to mention much more reasonably priced). We loved the restaurant so much we went back for tea the next day after touring the house and grounds. Would definitely recommend a day at Chatsworth, it could be done as a day trip (up in the morning and back to London on latest train), but I'm glad we spent the night. The only negatives to report are that (1) the handle on my suitcase tore when the bellman yanked it (it was heavy), it would have been nice for him to offer to tape it or at least try to help in some way; and (2) we finished earlier than expected and I was hoping the concierge/receptionist could help me figure out if we could get on an earlier train with our existing reservation. She suggested I could ask when I arrived at the station and only after I asked twice did she agree to call the train station on my behalf (should have been her first response!). Lots of history in this place, worth the trip!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
South East
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I believe part of the problem with the reviews is that part of the facility has been remodeled and part has not. I discovered this while making email enquires before our trip to their very helpful front desk. I also looked at the on line photos of rooms for help. Though not large, the LUCY room we had was at the very end of the building and a corner room with lovely window look-outs on two sides. There is some room noise from above but part of a stay at an older building. The room was fresh, very clean and new all around. With a tacked on tip of 5% which they are very up-front about, we took full advantage of the staff for assistance. they even allowed us to use printer, phone for a long toll free call, carrying bags down long halls, ice,etc. which we frequently take care of ourselves. We have been to Chatsworth before and would rather take that price of the tickets off our room bill and not go but when we enquired they said it was not possible. So, we understood in advance in making our decision, which was good.So, we just took a brief visit to Chatsworth and frankly enjoyed it tho a second time. I enjoy walking right from our hotel door toward the Chatsworth property past sheep.Breakfast room very upscale with crisp linens and the foods very good also. No one there at 8:00AM on Saturday morning so we had it all to ourselves. In all I was not disappointed and tho pricey, it was a one time treat for us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cavendish Hotel? Share your experiences!