“Autumn Anniversary.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Baslow
Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
“Autumn Anniversary.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We have enjoyed our visits to the Cavendish for lunch etc so we decided to celebrate a special
anniversary on 19th September 12 with an overnight stay . We were not disappointed from a very warm reception to a very efficient departure. Our room was absolutely splendid-- spacious, beautifully furnished with very comfortable beds and lovely bedding ( we simply cannot understand
some of critical comments made about the hotel's bed / bedding we seem to be very petted /petty )
We enjoyed wonderful views of the lovely gardens & the Chatsworth Estate sitting in comfortable
armchairs with cups of tea ( fresh milk supplied in small fridge) & tasty shortcakes -- yum yum!!
The bathroom was small but quite adequate with pleasant toiletries & was immaculate -- we also
liked the saucy painting of a nude .Dinner was excellent & we enjoyed the ambiance of the lounge/
bar. Breakfast was disappointing & overpriced ; the hotel should ensure do better

Room Tip: Your overall rating of this property Your overall rating of this property Make sure you phone / e...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
barnsley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We spent a night here on the Sunday Escape special offer for our wedding anniversary. It was all very good value and lovely food and friendly staff. We booked an inn room and this was very a gorgeous room. Its good value but still not cheap. We had an excellent time would recommend the escape on a sunday and will definatley go back. Chatsworth is a very special place.

Room Tip: Would recommend the inn rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I've just returned from a two night stay at this lovely hotel. I called in by chance as I hadn't been able to find suitable accomodation in the area. The lovely, welcoming receptionist automatically looked for the best available rate for me which I thought was good value. Both receptionists were excellent as were all the staff I had the pleasure to meet. Without exception, they went out of their way to see that guests had an enjoyable stay. I dined in the garden room where the service and food were first class. The cooked breakfasts were excellent with a good range of dishes to choose from. The location of the hotel is a real plus. There are so many interesting places to visit within easy travelling distance and so many beautiful walks on the doorstep. My room was very comfortable and had everything you would expect from a hotel of this calibre. Reading the Guest Directory made me smile - it was obviously written by someone with a dry sense of humour and Old English Charm. Overseas visitors would love it! This is a hotel I'll certainly visit again.

Room Tip: I think all the bedrooms face Chatsworth Park so you'd be sure of a great view but you could alw...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

A high class experience whether just having afternoon tea or dinner. A romantic tranquil place. Beautiful derbyshire location. Since staying we have popped back for lunch and just tea and scones twice and this is a real treat and escape from day to day life.

• Stayed August 2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I booked the first visit on line for my birthday, escape on Sunday this included a meal, when we checked in we were told the earliest table available was 9.30pm! I could not eat a large meal at that time, (we use hand picked hotels all the time and have always had a table available) my husband was very mad because we were made to feel like we were begging for a table by the receptionist! I asked if we would be charged if we went home she said yes, because of the cancelation policy, we did go home no matter as we were that upset with the whole experience!
One of the other receptionists did come to the rescue, She told the manager what had happened and explained that it was the hotels fault someone should have phoned us to arrange a time for us to eat!
A revisit was arranged 3 weeks later at a reduced price! and a bottle of wine with complements.
The table was booked for 8pm the time we like to eat, lovely setting, tables set well, a little close together, good service, the meal was good, I had the lamb I found it very over powered by stong flavours, the sauce and the goats cheese. The sweet was tiny and did not have much flavour. I had coffee served in the lounge no petit fours I had to ask for them!
The room was lovely, nice large size with four poster and two sofa's, good view over the Chatsworth Estate. I had to phone reception for some bathrobes! the under rim of the toilet was very dirty. I would expect a room of this quality to have a better tea and coffee drinks tray, no teapot, very little coffee (good job I had taken my own) no biscuits or nibbles that are usually in top class hotels. Chocs in the fridge that were chargable.
Very good choice for breakfast, buffet and hot choices, I had the haddock and scrambled eggs, I asked for a slice of white bread with it, I ended up with a slice of white toast!!
Very quick checkout and lovely receptionist. I might return on a B&B basis, as we like the area, good hotels are hard to come by.
A 5% service charge is added to bill.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the back as there is a very busy road
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

OK so it's not cheap but it's GOOD
Staff are always looking for ways to help you to enjoy your stay. Only one negative experience when we asked for some tea outside. It never came and when we mentioned it the staff member said, ' I wasn't told you wanted it' Not really the point. That said that was very much the exception.
We took our own birthday cake and they offered to bring it our with candles lit etc - nice.
Restaurants are both superb - very high end gourmet experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My fiance booked a two night stay (3-5 Sept) in the Resedale Suite at The Cavendish Hotel for my birthday. There was ample parking and being located in the centre of Baslow it's a short walk to both the village centre and the Chatsworth estate. It's a perfect location from which to explore the Peaks. The receptionist and other staff made us feel very welcome. The suite was luxurious and beautiful, and with two bathrooms, a lounge, and a large bedroom we certainly had plenty of space! I enjoyed every aspect of this trip, including a long, soak in the bath after a hard day's walking in the Peaks. The breakfast consisted of a continental style buffet with the option to add on a full English breakfast, porridge, etc at an extra cost. We had breakfast here once and it was delicious and lovely to eat overlooking the countryside. Thank you to all staff for a lovely stay - it made my birthday very special.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cavendish Hotel? Share your experiences!