“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 13 Restaurants in Baslow
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Devonshire Arms, Inn and Kitchen offers good honest food, great ales and wines, 12 en suite rooms and warm hospitality for anyone seeking escape, exploration, socialising, relaxation or refuelling.
Chester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

A great restaurant with a lovely selection of excellent wines .Local beers available
The menu is great with well cooked local produce.Excellent choice and great quality .
The atmosphere is lovely and the decor great miss matched chairs and tables
Really lovely place looking forward to my next visit

• Visited June 2013

Marietta, Georgia
“Great ending to first day in U.K., perfect pub.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

We had an awesome meal here. The pub atmosphere was just what we were hoping for, casual and inviting. Our server Yasmin made us feel very welcome. The food was delicious and exceeded expectations. Good honest food hit the nail on the head. I opted for beef and ale pie instead of fish and chips and I'm glad I did! The beef was like butter and the pastry was best I have ever had. Buttered greens were perfect complement. My daughter had the Devonshire chicken and it was tender with an excellent barbecue sauce. Wish we had more time to spend in this quaint village.

Cheshire
“This place has a great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I like the feel of the Devonshire Arms Baslow. Its one of those places that you could sit for hours and not get bored. Interesting mix of locals, regulars and visitors. There is a good choice of quirky places to sit for a meal - high tables and chairs, comfy low seating, bistro type area and an area near the log fire where you could eat with your dog!

There is a good selection of food. My husband is a veggie and had cauliflower cheese soup (£5) followed by a veggie sharing platter (£9) which he had all to himself and said it was superb. I had slow roasted pork belly which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Staff were brilliant and attentive.

All in all we had a lovely evening and a would eat there again for sure.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Nice Pub / Restaurant, Shame about the portions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Since we last visited some time ago a great deal has been done to re-furbish this pub and the decor is very tasteful and the pub has a good atmosphere.
Prior to our visit I had read an article in a local magazine where the author was waxing lyrical about the meals in the Devonshire, in particular ' grilled fillets of sea bass with a fine herb risotto' and the magazine also showed a photo of the meal with two ample fillets on a bed of risotto garnished with a red pepper coulis, for a splash of colour.
So with the article in mind, I ordered the 'sea bass' although the menu gave no better description than that. Could I be getting a whole sea bass or two healthy size fillets on the bed of garnished risotto. No - No - big disappointment, a bed of risotto with no garnish or splash of colour, topped by one small fillet of sea bass. The quality was good and the Chef is obviously talented. Was it worth the £15 price tag - no definitely not.
Fortunately my better half had ordered the steak and ale pie and her appetite being much smaller than mine, I helped her to finish her pie. Not quite what you expect to do on a night out, but when needs must !
I assume that the author of the local magazine article must have been treated as a special case when he visited.
It appears that the new co-owners have been in control for about 6 Months, so maybe they are controlling portion sizes to make the economics of the business balance. Unfortunately this leaves the guest regretting the value for money aspect, and heading elsewhere to cover a healthy appetite.
A lady on the next table was also complaining on the small size of portions, but I don't know what meal she had ordered.
I discussed my thoughts with the waitress, but no explanation was given.
There is however one shining light of hope for this pub - The beer ' Landlord Bitter' is one of the finest pints of beer that I have drunk in a very long time.
So my advice is, enjoy the beer and ensure exactly what you are going to be served before you order a meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stopped in here for Sunday lunch before heading into the peaks. The service was very attentive, and the food of an excellent standard. A fair few choices were available for my vegetarian friend, and I would highly recommend their bakewell pudding desert.
The only mildly negative points were that the car park was full, had to wait to find a space, and our main course took quite a while to be served.
Overall I would recommend this place highly, lovely atmosphere, wide drinks selection, great food and friendly service. I will be returning if I'm in the area again.