“Good value hostel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of YHA Mt. Cook

You added YHA Mt. Cook to your Saves list
YHA Mt. Cook
4.5 of 5 Hostel   |   1 Bowen Drive | cnr Bowen & Kitchener, Mt. Cook Village 8770, New Zealand   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
NZ
“Good value hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

Stayed for four nights in a 4-bed shared room. Definitely not for light-sleepers as the squeaky beds and paper-thin walls will not help with a decent night's sleep. Staff was helpful and willing to check/book transport to next destination. Good location as it's not too far away from visitor centre and trail heads.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first

- small toilet

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

The rooms are OK, but ours was very dirty. The kitchen and bathrooms were excellent, with the kitchen in particular being very well stocked, including the biggest fridge Ive ever seen! The location is excellent, being a few minutes to the visitor centre and close to the start of the Hooker Valley walk. Considering the standard of the rooms and the paper-thin walls, the hostel was quite expensive, albeit infinitely cheaper than the bizarre Hermitage Hotel up the road.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Mumbai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

Well, we really wanted to stay in Mt cook but could definetely not afford the Hermitage with the rates that were being quoted - so we decided to give YHA a shot. We booked a full room for NZD 93 - but we got for that was a shock. A couple of bunk beds - and thats it! Certainly, when you go with your wife/gf, you expect a double bed, esp when you pay 93 dollars, which is not very cheap by NZ standards. Further, there is a community kitchen and bathroom. Beyond that, even the pillow covers and bed sheet have to be picked up and done by the guests. All in all - good if you are a backpacker and on a very tight budget. Otherwise, worth skipping!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything was community based!
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
N Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

I stayed for 4 nights in the Mt Cook YHA in March 2009. Due to there being few other cheap accomodation alternatives in Mt Cook village the hostel was very busy and I've heard that it is like this all year round. But the kitchen is big enough to cope and there are several lounge areas provided which ensure that there is room for everyone without it feeling too packed.

The hostel is obviously well run. It is one of the cleanest I have ever stayed in and the staff are willing and able to provide any help and advice on the various activities around the area. The one negative thing I can say about it (and I know it has been mentionned on these pages before) is that the beds are infuriatingly squeeky!. I know this sounds like a minor complaint but the walls between the rooms are very thin and all it takes is for one of your neighbours to roll over in their sleep and you get woken up. I must clarify this by saying that I am quite a light sleeper but by my third night of interrupted sleep I really was looking forward to leaving so I could get a decent night's sleep.

As there are few other options in Mt Cook village I suppose I would recommend the YHA to fellow travellers but just make sure you have a good set of earplugs with you!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

Definitely above average for a hostel. We had a double room, wooden log walls and very cosy. Plus had its own heater so no worries about shivering.

Nice places to sit, bit of a queue sometimes for internet access but fine if you left it till later in the evening.

Mt Cook is rather spread out, but there is a pub just a few minutes walk away. Also easy to get to a nice hour's walking trail from here.

• Liked — lovely rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

We fell in love at first sight with Mt Cook but were very disappointed with this YHA.
My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights in a 4 bed dorm.. the room and the common areas in the hostel itself were very nice however...

On arrival, the member of staff who checked us in was not very friendly and verging on rude.

On more than one occasion there were no clean (or any) tea towels in the quite dirty kitchen.

At the moment, there seems to be a plague of moths around the Mt Cook area, we stayed in Twizel the night before and our hostel there had a problem with moths. However at our Twizel hostel, the owner made us aware of it when we were checking in and asked us to be careful when turning on lights and having windows open after dark. Mt Cook YHA seem to just ignore the moth situation and as a result the kitchen, common areas and toilets were overrun by moths on the 2 nights we stayed there. Thankfully as we were careful in our dorm, it was not affected. I think the moth problem could be approached better if staff were to let people know when checking in and staff should close windows in common areas and toilets before nightfall.

On our last evening there, I noticed a dead rabbit right outside our dorm window. The rabbit had not been there long but was surrounded by flies and due to the heat was not going to take long to start smelling foul. I told reception this at 6pm and the guy said that he would get someone to take care of it. On checking out at 10am the next morning the rabbit was still there.
Out of courtesy I mentioned it to the girl at reception who very rudely cut me off mid sentence with a "yeah"... so I explained it was attracting flies and was going to start smelling... and she basically dismissed me and then as an after-thought as I was leaving she said "sorry about that". I would've thought that they wouldn't want a dead rabbit stinking up one or more of their rooms but she made me feel like I was moaning about nothing. It really didn't bother me at that stage if they left the rabbit there, I was leaving anyway.

This YHA is given a Quality star rating of 5 which baffles me! The staff were rude. And the cleanliness lacking.

I'd love to tell you not to stay in this hostel, but unfortunately they have domination, being the only youth hostel in Mt Cook. And Mt Cook is definitely worth spending a couple of days at, I absolutely loved it... pity about the hostel!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to YHA Mt. Cook? Share your experiences!