An expensive hotel in a very beautiful setting. We stayed in one of the motel rooms, 15 minutes from the main building, the room was fine with beautiful views of the mountain from the rear where there was a bench. A superb shower, excellent towels, heating plus a table and sofa. The kitchen equipment was fine except there was no cafetiere.
Breakfast was included and we didn't upgrade to full so it was just continental. The continent appeared to be Europe disappointingly. It was poor. The juices were weak and poor quality, there were stewed fruits out of the fifties, the bread was cheap sliced stuff and the bagels were bagel shaped but tasted like a bread roll. There were no pastries or croissants even though they were advertised. There were cheap slices of processed cheese and bottom grade ham and some salad fixings. The coffee was passable.
We aTe buffet dinner for £30 for the 2 nights of our stay. Exactly the same food both nights. It was better than breakfast but overpriced. The starters were First class and I ate 2 full plates. The mains were unimaginative; the lamb was way over cooked, the tandoori chicken had never seen a tandoor only ersatz tandoori flavouring. But it was the deserts that took the cake - they were made by a cardboard manufacturer not a pastry chef. My conclusion: stay in a motel unit but bring your own food like our sensible neighbours did
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From an intrepid journey through glacial valleys to a mouth-watering culinary dining adventure, The Hermitage Hotel is the perfect 'base camp' to discover your Peak Experience. Choose from premium hotel rooms, motel units or cozy chalets. Add world-class activities such as Glacier Explorers, Tasman Valley 4WD and Argo Tours, Big Sky Stargazing, Encounter Day Walks, scenic flights or the visual extravaganza of the Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre and you have a unique, year-round alpine adventure perfect for the family holiday or your next romantic getaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your The Hermitage Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hermitage Hotel Mt Cook Village
- Hermitage New Zealand
- The Hermitage Hotel New Zealand/Mt. Cook Village