“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I had two meals at this restaurant while staying in Fairle. They were excellent. The staff were very friendly and welcoming.Great place to have a meal.

Visited April 2014

• Indonesian first
Yungaburra, Australia
“Surprising Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Just overnighting in Fairlie to break the trip through to Christchurch and did not expect to find such a great restaurant in this little village. We were a little early so shown to the drawing room for pre-dinner drinks and entertained by the knowledgeable hostess Ruth. The meal was exceptional and complimented by the well stocked wine cellar. The Red Stag ticked all the boxes for food, service and value for money and so much more as well. Make the effort and stop by, you won´t regret it.

• Visited June 2014
Christchurch, New Zealand
“You can not find a fault”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

The Red Stag was the complete experience.From the first moment we stepped in the door the service as inviting and attentive. Both meals were perfectly cooked and were delicious. The cheesecake was devine. We enjoyed our coffee by the open fire in the bar. Ruth had no quarms with us wondering around the bar looking at the photo's and paintings. The atmosphere was relaxed and welcoming. I will be returning, and encourage others to try this fantastic restaurant.

• Visited June 2014
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Juciest Venison I have ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Delicious venison cooked perfectly to order! Great food with a warm atmosphere and charismatic staff! Would recommend this place to all my friends and can't wait to come again! A very memorable experience indeed!

• Visited April 2014
Nelson, New Zealand
“Botswana Butchery Eat your Heart Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I have dashed through Fairlee many times on my way south or north to the "main centres". On this last trip I was persuaded by a fellow passenger to stay over in Fairlie to sample a special resturant called the Old Library. Imagine my dissapointment when - on arrival at our very acceptable Motel - the Aorangi -to learn that due to an earlier fire the old Library was closed for some noths to come - HOWEVER our host recommeded the Red Stag - just across the road.
And boy am I glad she did. We had dined on venison at the renowed Bostawna Butchery in Queenstown a few weeks earlier and without a word of exargeration I have to say Chef Keith's vension dish was ever bit a match for theirs - and the good wine was priced for this life not the next as in Queenstown! The big villa has been loveling restored - plenty of room . Host Ruth could not have been more welcoming. Fairlie will see a lot more of me on future trips.

• Visited March 2014