“Heaven must be like this!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitney
Couples Resort
You added Couples Resort to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   139 (End of ) Galeairy Lake Road | Algonquin Park, Whitney, Ontario K0J 2M0 , Canada   |
Hotel packages
Certificate of Excellence 2014
SW, Ontario
“Heaven must be like this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

We went to couples resort for our 27th wedding anniversary. The Orion Chateau we stayed in was more then I could imagine. The best architectural features were used to create this accommodation; It was opulent. The food was excellent and the service second to none.
Two nights away felt like a week. I recommend that you upgrade your accommodation; it's worth it. Heaven must be like this!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
London UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

When we made our booking we were informed that all the lakeside accommodation (for two couples) was fully booked and we were offered to stay in Adventure Lodge nearby which we accepted.

When we arrived we were disappointed with the standard of the cabins and the site location
which is over a mile from the Couples Resort facilities, beyond Whitney and across the main highway. We realised that we had made a big mistake in accepting Adventure Lodge particularly as it is close to the local sanitation depot and, contrary to the resort's printed information, is available for children to stay.

I was preparing myself to complain to the management as I felt we had been seriously misled but 2 hours after our arrival we were informed that we could be up-graded to two lakeside spa villas at no additional cost. We re-packed our bags and hurriedly drove back to the resort so that we did not miss the time we had been given (no choice) for dinner.

The new accommodation was a great improvement and included sauna, jacuzzi and shower/steam room and effective air conditioning, more like the 5-star standard we were expecting although we could not see why there was a step across the room - very hazardous in the middle of the night.

Neither could we understand why we were offered the spa villas after we had been informed that all were fully booked. We were told that this was because there were several families with children staying at the resort. This made no sense at all; firstly, according to the resort guide Couples Resort is child free and secondly, what happened to the guests we were replacing? We suspect that the management have a policy of reserving the best accommodation until the last minute but this is no way to run a 5-star establishment.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was very good, but not truly oustanding.
On the second evening the dining room service was a little slow and the room was very hot.
The waitress said this was because they had only just turned on the air conditioning! The facilities on offer are good especially the sunset cruise on the lake, seeing the birds and listening for the wolves but most have to be paid for.

Only after making our reservation did we see on the e-mail confirmation of booking that an extra C$30 Carbon Offset Eco Fee had been added to our account. This caused us to be wary of extra charges and our suspicions were justified in due course, ie. C$10 charged for a second cooked course at breakfast. Other 5-star establishments often offer a lavish extensive buffet breakfast with a much larger choice and nobody is counting. A charge was also made for renting two bicycles for one hour, all plus tax and plus 15 per cent service charge. Is this supposed to be a fully inclusive resort or not?

This is not a 5-star resort, except for the prices. My wife and I were charged C$1,266 for a two night stay including breakfast and evening dinner and based on Adventure Lodge room rates. The resort does not have the air or ambience of a 5-star establishment. It has obviously grown in an ad hoc fashion over the years with no design focus or concept. It is just a series of very ordinary timber buildings and sheds with pretensions positioned alongside a lake.

One does not want to be over-critical as it is a pleasant place to stay and in an attractive location but at best 4-star would be a more realistic assessment, apart from the Adventure Lodge which, like the owner's paintings, should be avoided.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Port Hope, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

Let me start by saying I couldn't disagree more with "World Seeker from Waterloo". My husband and I have travelled extensively in the Caribbean and throughout North America, always staying at 5 Star resorts. We have also cruised with Celebrity. In comparison with all our travels, Couples is definitely a 5 Star resort. This was our 24th visit and we have been going to Couples for 17 years. We find this place magical as it is so serene and peaceful. The rooms are rustic but beautifully done and we have stayed in them all. This time we stayed in my favourite a little cabin with its own hot tub on the deck and just 30 feet from the waters edge. This cabin is called "Rhea" and the view of the lake is stunning. If you are looking for something fancy, the Master Suites have all the bells and whistles. We stay in them when we go up in the winter as we like to use the sauna. The food is always excellent and there are chef specials that change nightly, and the whole menu changes with the seasons so there is lots of variety. At breakfast the eggs benedict is the best that I have ever had, and I love the Belgian waffles with fruit and cream. You can even get room service for breakfast (we enjoy it sitting on the deck overlooking the lake). We went ATVing for half a day and had a blast. I also had a blueberry scrub and a hot stone massage that was amazing. If you are looking for a quiet romantic getaway and you like northern Ontario, I guaranty you will love this place. It is just perfect and that is why I call it my "FAVOURITE PLACE ON EARTH".

Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Maggie B.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

We are a couple in our 40's that wanted a getaway without childen so we thought that the Couples Resort would be perfect ... We are going to give this review honestly...

The resort (which technically is not a resort at all) is situated on a man made lake with no view.
The salt pool was a steaming, uncomfortable 88 degrees ~ too hot for July weather.
The dining room needs a major overhaul ~ the chairs are on their last legs as well as torn fabric and food stains.
THE MENU IS THE SAME EVERY SINGLE DAY (breakfast & dinner)
If people think this is 5 star gourmet dining, than they have never been anywhere in their life -- maybe 5 star for Whitney, Ontario -- we actually did not attend dinner and breakfast after our 2nd night there ...
The resort was so quiet inside and out ... we felt so uncomfortable whispering the whole time.
If you wanted to do some extra curricular activities than you might as well pull out your pocket book and grab that brown bill or credit card ... they charge you for everything and its super, super expensive.
The rooms where nice (some super fancy) but the price is outrageous!
Gurtrude's Art Gallery is a joke - tiny and very messy.
We truly are disappointed with this place especially when we spent a lot of money for the 5 days we were there. We did not expect it to be the way it is. We were not looking for a party place but my God it was like spending 5 days with the walking dead.
I would never, ever recommend Couples Resort / Adventure Lodge to anyone, ever.
My husband and I still scratch our heads wondering why some people found this resort so amazing??? The only thing is that maybe these people are beginner travellers.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and commenting on our 5 STAR Couples Resort. Our couples come to this Resort for time together, 1 on 1, and we have purposefully designed many elements of the Resort amenities, facilities and flow to compliment this strategy of ours. We design as much as possible to benefit time together as a couple without distractions and in this I trust we are successful. Many of our accommodations are even designed to be super spoiling even if the weather is miserable outside. All we know for sure is that people are different and what some people love about this place with peace and quiet are what drives others mad. We think that you would have had a far better experience at Couples Resort in Jamaica which is designed for far more interaction amongst its couples. Our Galeairy Lake is 11km long and 30 Meters deep with 90% of it in Algonquin Park which is zoned a “do not have any human alterations to its land” area. Not very man made, except for maybe the top 5% from a small dam. There are incredible views on this lake that rival any views anywhere in the world, not better, but in my opinion just as breathtaking, and many of our guests agree. TIP: early morning canoe to see the mist rise off the lake as a loon swims by your paddle. The pool we turned down to 85’F with a better more accurate control, which is what we always shot for. In July the lake is usually 75’F and perfect for swimming if you like a little cooler, certainly this is my preference in the Summer.The brand New dining room, for you will still look like the Golden Years, no matter that it is brand new. Few in the world will be so lucky to have Golden Years so well appointed. Italian full cushioned arm chairs with the finest fabrics, Danish designed wool carpets, American Oak wall and ceiling finishes in a Tudor Style and 2 walls finished in floor to ceiling windows overlooking pristine Galeairy lake. Yes and the Dining Room is still 5 Star and 1st Class with white linen table clothes, the finest German porcelain to eat off of, Silver Plated cutlery, Crystal glass ware, and the appropriate service from Maitre d, to Sommelier, to a full service and full kitchen brigade. Our Kitchen Brigade does offer a menu that is fixed with a large multiple of choices for breakfast and dinner and it also offers daily specials for dinner so I am not sure why you did not find it enough, it seems to please so many guests. I know of better restaurants, but our guests do not want to pay for that kind of Michelin Dining Experience, but I know we are still 5 Star. You will be happy to know that we are All-Inclusive, see website for details. I wish we could be lower priced. Do you know if I could move our Resort to New York State I could cut my staff cost in half or about 1 Million Dollars, just because their minimum wage is ½ of our minimum wage. I would love to reduce everyone’s bill with that money or include even more: like free alcohol, free spa and free horse riding. Imagine if I could move to Jamaica or Mexico how much more I could cut wages to benefit you. Until then be patient with us, we are in Canada and doing what we can. Thank you for acknowledging our incredible accommodations, which is one of our specialties, and greatly contributes to the cost of staying here. The energy and water that each unit consumes is staggering, and that is very difficult for guests to understand that this is not a free input or free output for us. Thank you for commenting on my mother, Gertrude, as an artist. To comment on her Art Gallery being a joke is to comment on the Artist herself. She has been at it now since she was 50 and now has 34 years under her belt. She has started Art programs in the local high school, started the showing of Art in Algonquin park in their visitors Centre (this month she is receiving a plaque for starting it 20 years ago) and in their West Side Art Gallery and she has been a Juried winner. I know of no expressionist or nature artist that is neat. She would have been 82 when you were in her Studio, and I hope you treat your mother with more respect. I do know that my mother did come to Whitney with her Husband and 4 young children 2 months to 9 years of age to buy a small fishing and hunting lodge with 7 cabins. Then they, together, went to work and created a lodge with 30% European business and catering to 100 guests, no joke. Gertrude still welcomes guests to chat with her in her studio and she is always thrilled when a guest buys one of her colourful nature oil paintings. We are comparatively still dead and maybe one day you will be thankful we exist and will join us again. Sorry we were not a perfect match for you and I wish you and your partner all the best in your Travels and in your Health and Happiness.
Sincerely Yours – JohnS-Owner.
Pickering
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

Overall, it was a very nice resort. Very relaxing, beautiful location and the rooms were clean. The meals were fantastic!
My one word of caution is in regard to hidden fees. After booking and receiving my confirmation along with my bill (which included the tax and all tipping upfront), we were informed that there would be an "eco-friendly fee" of $30 added to our bill at checkout. For one night , this was quite an additional expense that was not disclosed upfront. It is mentioned on the website under "hidden fees" but not until after you book and pay your deposit, are you officially notified about the additional fee.
I wish that this had been disclosed prior to confirming my stay and that I had received an answer from the resort staff when I e-mailed them back with my questions prior to arriving.

London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

My husband and I just spent 4 nights at the Couples Resort just outside of Algonquin Park and we absolutely loved every minute of our stay! We stayed in an Exotic Suite - "India" - which was huge, comfy and built for romance. From the wood burning fireplace, the 5 X 6 foot jacuzzi in the room, the private hot tub on the balcony, the steam shower and the lovely lake view, it was hard to want to leave our room! Thankfully we did though to enjoy tennis, kayaking, canoeing, paddle boating, row boating, swimming in the salt water pool and challenging each other to games of pool and ping pong in the games room - all free of charge! The room service breakfasts were a nice treat, and dressing for dinner was a highlight of each evening, matched only by the outstanding food we were served. The staff of the resort are very sweet and do their best to ensure that you feel special every step of the way. While planning our summer getaway, we researched many, many places including some favourite major cities and exotic getaways, but decided to try The Couples Resort as we have been looking at it for years. We're so glad we did, we're already planning a return trip there for the fall to see the leaves changing colour...and to enjoy the pampering once again :) We highly recommend The Couples Resort to any couple wanting a peaceful, romantic, relaxing getaway.

Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

My husband and I stayed two times previously and are going back in two weeks for our third visit. Our first visit was in September of 2003. We went with another couple and shared the Kings Ranch. It was nice and had two separate sleeping areas, however i wouldn't recommend as there is little privacy with another couple. However, that is what our budget could afford at the time.
Our second visit was just the two of us in February of 2008. We stayed in a master's junior suite second floor. This room was heavenly!!! LOVED IT. We had a king sized bed, floor to ceiling stone fire place, 50" tv, not that it was used much :), a nice sitting area, dining table, in room double jacuzzi, steam shower, two bathrooms, bar fridge fully stocked (however i understand now you have to pay for pop and water but you can bring your own drinks and snacks). We went in the dead of winter, and the outdoor private hot tub on our deck was just what we needed. We spent A LOT of time in it drinking wine watching the snow fall. It was very quiet and private. Sometimes we could hear the main door just down the hall slam shut but we NEVER heard the other guests. The food was great, and the service was fantastic. The games room has pool tables, shuffle board and darts. There were in room movies, no phones at the time, but I was told they have phones in the room now. Another thing to note is that we never heard housekeeping at all during our stay. Never saw them in the hallways or heard a single vacuum, (and we were in our room a lot!!!) however, our room was spotless, very clean and when we did see housekeeping, maintenance or any other staff, they were incredibly polite and social. In fact we were so impressed with our housekeeping staff that we left a little comment card for them.
When we visited in 2003 their premise was a romantic uninterrupted getaway, hence no phones. Now they have high speed and wifi and phones in the rooms.
Others have commented that they were unaware of the "hidden" fees. On the website for the resort there is a whole page devoted to the hidden fees. And when we booked for our visit in the next couple of weeks we were told of the cost of the eco fee, room service other than breakfast, non-alchoholic drinks etc. It also stated the eco fee in our confirmation email. You can also talk online to someone in reservations via their website to ask more questions.
Some people have also stated that it's outdated. This is a very romantic somewhat rustic getaway resort. The pine is part of the "cottage like" feel they were going for years ago. Many of the rooms have been updated just since we visited in 2008 and many were updated and added from our first visit in 2003 to our second in 2005. They cant shut down the resort for months on end to completely renovate the whole resort. But they are constantly adding and updating. For me 5 star rating is based on service, quality, privacy, food, and a good time. We had all of that at both visits and I am fully confident we will again at our third visit. This next visit we are staying in a grand exotic. a step down from the masters in size but all they had available this time around. We are hoping to make our visit yearly!
If you want to spend some quality, private, romantic, enjoyable time with a loved one this is the place to go.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!