My husband and I had stayed at "The Bear Trail Inn" for our honeymoon and we thought it would be fun to go back. Wow, the place sure has changed in 16 years! Some things were the same though; the quiet, the good food and the friendly staff.
We stayed in a 3rd Floor Master Junior Suite (Monet room) and we were very impressed with it. I didn't think the decor was outdated at all as some of the previous reviewers had mentioned (but maybe I'm just not as chic as some ;-) ). It was very clean, ample towels, spacious bathroom, small kitchenette and had the most comfortable bed I had ever slept in away for home. Gorgeous view of the lake. Loved having a hot tub on the balcony and, with the privacy glass, no swimsuit was required. (Sorry if that's TMI.) All in all, très romantique.
The food? Well, it was solidly in the good category. Was it fantastic? No, I wouldn't go that far. There's 5 courses plus bread so you're definitely full when you're finished. Wasn't too fond of the appetizers and I wished there was more variety with them. There are chef's features for the appetizers, main course and dessert so there is always something new every night. Loved the fact you could get breakfast delivered to your room at no charge.
There's really no shortage of stuff to do when you're all relaxed out. The pool was nice; clean and at a perfect temp. We took (free) kayaks out and explored the lake for a couple of hours, and could have easily spent and entire day doing that. Kicked hubby's butt in both pool and ping-pong in the game room. (Nice to see that some things don't change even after 16 years.) Toured the grounds, stuck our heads in the well-supplied fitness room, looked at the old photos and found our signature in the guestbook from '94 in the "museum", peeked in the windows at Gertrude's studio. Hiked the "Bear Trail" which was not very well marked so we weren't able to find the "loop" and had to hoof it back on one of Whitney's roads. (Probably the biggest disappointment of our stay.)
The staff was nice. Everyone was very friendly. Did anyone bend over backwards for us? Nope, but then we never asked anyone to, either.
One caveat: The price. With the new HST (thanks, Dalton) and a 15 % gratutity tax, and yes, the $30 eco-charge that we were aware of before we went, it added up quickly to an extra $250 on our bill. Yikes! Of course we were aware of that when we booked but not so much when we were thinking of booking. And when you get your heart set on staying at a certain place......
So, to sum it all up: We had a nice, relaxing time. We would recommend it to friends. We will, in all likelyhood, stay there again. And finally, I just have to say, that while it was pricey, I don't think it was overpriced.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It is here that couples celebrating birthdays and anniversaries as well as honeymooners and recently married couples come to relax, embrace love, enjoy the organic spa and find the time to share an adventure. This is quite literally the hottest place to be in all four seasons, with 10 saunas, 27 walk-in steam rooms, 21 walk-in euro-showers, 23 outdoor hot tubs and 48 in-room Jacuzzi tubs each in front of a wood burning fireplace. All accommodations at the Couples Resort Exceed 5 Diamond standards, North America's toughest standards. Ontario's Couples Resort is situated on the shores of Galeairy Lake and the Madawaska River, with Algonquin Park as our backyard. The village of Whitney, Ontario is a short 15-minute walk away. We are surrounded with breathtaking wilderness, pure fresh air, secluded forests, pristine waters, an abundance of sunny days and a blanket of stars at night. This priceless peace and tantalizing tranquility is all yours for the taking.Those of you who need to escape from the bustle will find us calming and rejuvenating. There are many ways to do nothing if that is your wish. On the other hand, unlimited activities will keep the adventurer active all year round. Ontario's Natural Algonquin Park is ideal for the sport enthusiast or avid adventurer who will be delighted with the extraordinary activities available. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Couples Hotel Whitney
- Bear Trail Couples Resort
- Couples Resort Ontario/Whitney