“A nice, quiet stay.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitney
Couples Resort
139 (End of ) Galeairy Lake Road | Algonquin Park, Whitney, Ontario K0J 2M0 , Canada   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
5 STAR, Call & Book Today
Ontario, Canada
“A nice, quiet stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

My husband and I had stayed at "The Bear Trail Inn" for our honeymoon and we thought it would be fun to go back. Wow, the place sure has changed in 16 years! Some things were the same though; the quiet, the good food and the friendly staff.

We stayed in a 3rd Floor Master Junior Suite (Monet room) and we were very impressed with it. I didn't think the decor was outdated at all as some of the previous reviewers had mentioned (but maybe I'm just not as chic as some ;-) ). It was very clean, ample towels, spacious bathroom, small kitchenette and had the most comfortable bed I had ever slept in away for home. Gorgeous view of the lake. Loved having a hot tub on the balcony and, with the privacy glass, no swimsuit was required. (Sorry if that's TMI.) All in all, très romantique.

The food? Well, it was solidly in the good category. Was it fantastic? No, I wouldn't go that far. There's 5 courses plus bread so you're definitely full when you're finished. Wasn't too fond of the appetizers and I wished there was more variety with them. There are chef's features for the appetizers, main course and dessert so there is always something new every night. Loved the fact you could get breakfast delivered to your room at no charge.

There's really no shortage of stuff to do when you're all relaxed out. The pool was nice; clean and at a perfect temp. We took (free) kayaks out and explored the lake for a couple of hours, and could have easily spent and entire day doing that. Kicked hubby's butt in both pool and ping-pong in the game room. (Nice to see that some things don't change even after 16 years.) Toured the grounds, stuck our heads in the well-supplied fitness room, looked at the old photos and found our signature in the guestbook from '94 in the "museum", peeked in the windows at Gertrude's studio. Hiked the "Bear Trail" which was not very well marked so we weren't able to find the "loop" and had to hoof it back on one of Whitney's roads. (Probably the biggest disappointment of our stay.)

The staff was nice. Everyone was very friendly. Did anyone bend over backwards for us? Nope, but then we never asked anyone to, either.

One caveat: The price. With the new HST (thanks, Dalton) and a 15 % gratutity tax, and yes, the $30 eco-charge that we were aware of before we went, it added up quickly to an extra $250 on our bill. Yikes! Of course we were aware of that when we booked but not so much when we were thinking of booking. And when you get your heart set on staying at a certain place......

So, to sum it all up: We had a nice, relaxing time. We would recommend it to friends. We will, in all likelyhood, stay there again. And finally, I just have to say, that while it was pricey, I don't think it was overpriced.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

510 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

My fiance and I just got back from The Couple's Resort. We stayed in a Master Junior Suite, which is one of the more expensive rooms on the property. While I do agree with other reviews that it was outdated, the private hot tub on our deck, steam shower and double jacuzzi in the room were fabulous. The food was better than expected and having your meals delivered to your room a treat. ( we got dinner delivered to get around the high wine prices some guests complained about.) The spa was mediocre and I would not recommend their services.

My main problem was how they dealt with our booking issue. While booking our trip, there were conflicting messages regarding specials on their website. I used the online chat feature on their website to confirm, and she told me that if we stayed Monday to Wednesday, our Thursday would be free. I followed her instructions to put comments in my reservation booking. This special was one of the main reasons we chose to come to the resort.

When I got to the resort, I confirmed our Thursday night free and was told that I was mistaken, that was not a special the resort was offering. I argued with the front desk, explaining what the online chat person had told me. I even provided proof since I had them pull up my chat history. She said she would talk to the owner - after following up EACH DAY - I was not able to get a response. I would have been understanding if they were able to explain that they were not able to honor the commitment, but was irritated that they refused to acknowledge the mistake and rectify it ( with a free spa service, bottle of wine....anything really) Instead, each time I followed up they made me feel as if I were being a swindler and being cheap.

Unfortunately, this incident soured our experience ( which we were paying quite a bit for). This resort has a long way to go before they are 5 star in my books....

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

The accomodation - we stayed in a top-floor Jr. Suite and it was clean and comfortable albeit outdated (especially the curtains and the bed spread of this old greenish flowery variety which didn't co-ordinate at all with the rest of the decor); The jacuzzy tub was very big and the fireplace was great. The balcony had a spectacular view on the lake. Our room did NOT have the down duvet the resort advertises on the website - when we inquired, they said they didn't have down duvets in all rooms.

The food - first night we ordered room-service for dinner because we brought some wine with us and didn't want to pay $14+ a glass at the dining room (like many other reviewes mentioned). We were not overly impressed with the cooking - overall it was OK, but slightly burned (e.g. grilled goat cheese in the salad), slightly too dry etc. So the next night we went to the dining room and it was a much better experience - we did try some of the same dishes and they were just cooked better - don't know if they don't try their best for the room service. The presentation of food in the dining room is obviously incomparably better than for room service, so I would recommend the dining room for the true fine dining experience. Breakfasts were good. Do try to make your dinner reservations early because all the reasonable (not too late/too early) times seem to go quickly.

The service - front desk was not overly welcoming but we didn't need them that much; dining room staff were fabulous (especially Ryan); room service were nice and efficient; the guy at the sports centre (checking out boats/kayaks etc) was very friendly.

The grounds - nice, not in an overly manicured style;

Overall a positive and relaxing experience, we would (and probably will) go again

Muscat
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

Firstly the room, we stayed in one of the new chatuea rooms and it was amazing. One side was a large lounge, dining area, the other side a large bedroom/bathroom and plit between both was a roaring fireplace. Outdoor hot-tub, indoor jacuzzi bath, sauna, double shower, incredible view across the lake.
the location was excellent, only being a few kms away from the east entrance to Algongquin Park.
The only real dissapointment was the food. It's billed up as being fantastic and some of the reviews on here mention how wonderful it was, to the point that we were really looking forward to it. But I have to say, it was a bit of a letdown. Being there for 3 nights and the menu not changing at all? and the breakfast was also a bit lame, with very runny eggs. Know I know that's it's all a matter of personal taste, but I (we) just didn't think it lived up to anywhere near the hype, which was a shame, as otherwise the room, service and location were fabulous.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

This was our 2nd stay at this resort, originally known as Bear Trail Inn. We opted to stay in the "Venus" cottage which was the last cottage on the road and afforded us a lot of privacy. The cottage had its own private hot tub on the porch overlooking the lake, and a wood privacy screen (partial...) to shield from next door neighbours. The room, however, was a bit dark and gloomy, although well furnished. King Bed, couch in front of the wood - burning fireplace and a large flatscreen. The bathroom was VERY dated; like a Comfort Inn from the 1980's. The entire room is paneled in Pine, and with no window other than the door, the room is VERY dark and gloomy, with poor lighting. Dated fixtures as well. Not what I expected after shelling out over $400 at check out for ONE NIGHT. We DID enjoy our room and hot tub, more than we expected, as we're not really hot-tub people, but when you have it all to yourself and can use it 'sans' bathing suits, why not!

The dining was the best part of the stay; a true 5-star experience.

Outdoor activities are plentiful; some are at a premium. If you have a bike and want to ride it, bring it; otherwise, be prepared to shell out $70 for the two of you to rent them for a few hours. The black flies ran us indoors this week, so I couldn't imagine being on a bike for two hours being bit by those nasty buggers.

I would probably stay in one of the newer more expensive cottages if I went back, or even just in one of the suites in the newer main building. Not much privacy, but at least better light.

Aurora, ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

(1) Booking- was ridiculous. First they could not accomadate two nights in the same room- so we had to move up one floor to the exact same style of room however with a balcony and it was 100 dollers more. I was off one digit in the credit card I gave them and they said they called me (they did not, no message left) and therefore cancelled my reservation and sent me an e-mail. I called back and first they did not have any rooms, but then two magically appeared.

(2) Driving in- this is a not a resort- it was cottages and faux log houses. The majority of the rooms are seperate from the main buliding (where the dining area is). Having said that, the dining area was very nice. We did not use the pool- however, the deck area was very questionable. The lounge chairs were filthy and old, and the pads to them were riped in several places and quite old as well.

(3) The first room- was clean, extremely outdated in design. Although they were clean, even the towel were tatterd looking. There were very large burn marks on the carpet from obvious fire's.
-the jacuzzi tub was nice
-the fireplace was nice and easy to use

(4) The second room- was one floor up. Much nicer.

(5) The food.- It was awsome! We had amazing meals. For breakfest- we did roomservice and it was very prompt and nice. HOWEVER, the wine at dinner was an extreme RIP OFF!!!!!!!! We each ordered a 6oz glass and they were 14.00 dollars each. The bottle of the kind of wine I had was 15.00 at the LCBO. Therefore, this place is very, very dishonest in that way. And like most people say here, we were not going to go for a nice dinner and not complement it with a glass of wine- but still It ticked us off.

(6) The service. The dining room staff were extremely nice and helpful. The housekeeping staff were nice- kept to themselves. The front desk staff were two extremes. The first lady we had at check in was completely misinformed it seemed. She got very defensive when we asked what the "carbon" fee was- which was another rip off I personaly think as we did not stay in the buliding that had solar panels. She also told us that we needed to check out of the first room by 11 and then wait around until 4 to check into the second one (which was not the case when we inquired the next day!) It ticked us off that we had woken up earlier and such. The lady the next day was very kind, and very helpful. Bottom line, between the booking issue and the policies they should really get all their front desk employees on the same page.

I would not book this place again. Unless, they had an extreme special for a weekend in the off season. I really do think they were dishonest in marking things up that much. I realize that one does not need to purchase these items. To me, good business morals is important and it keeps customers coming back! Also, I believe in pride of ownership. This business was founded by and maintains a family business atmosphere (there are pictures everywhere of them) If they truely cared, they would update, replace broken things (like burned carpet). I could not help but feel that we were the bigger fools for paying into it- for people living off of our dollar!

clarington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

My partner and I attended for the spring special and couldn't be happier with our experience! Right from the extremely friendly welcome by Charity to checking out, we were treated like royalty! The room was amazing, clean, comfortable and sooooo romantic! Dinner in the dining room was delectable each night, and having breakfast delivered to our room each morning with an incredible view of the lake made us feel like the only couple at the resort!

Special thanks to Matt in the dining room for making our first dinner experience so wonderful. And you must experience the "tower" for dessert if you love chocolate.

Be sure to visit Algonquin Park while you are so close...we saw moose, beaver, salamanders, turtles, frogs, a variety of birds, deer, and took the most amazing hike on the Mizzy Lake Trail.

We will definitely be back to experience the beautiful colours of autumn!

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!