“Sweet Serenity” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Resort

You added Couples Resort to your Saves list
Couples Resort
139 (End of ) Galeairy Lake Road | Algonquin Park, Whitney, Ontario K0J 2M0 , Canada   |
Hotel packages
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Sweet Serenity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

What a pleasant surprise when we walked into our 2 night stay in one of the Spa Villas at Couples Resort. Wowsie! We loved everything about it - big bathroom with two person steam shower and sauna to boot…jacuzzi tub by our bedside - wonderful scented bath salts for few dollars - nice treat…screened off dining area which we used to play Scrabble…patio with lounge chairs and table…comfortable king size bed with giant posts - felt like Royalty…wood burning fireplace - romantic…giant 50" LED TV. Big comfy leather couch - to drape oneself on one's back to admire the high vaulted ceiling. We opted to go out to the restaurant for dinner for the fun of getting dressed up. The servers were all pleasant and quick with service. We were impressed on how they dealt with a whiny difficult unhappy guest on our first night. The bad situation made the trip more memorable - good laugh. It was great how the staff kept their cool and made us smile. Derek, Alaura, Andrew…can't remember them all…cheers to you. The food was wonderful…frog legs were awesome…the baked brie in pastry - is heavenly. My favourite dessert is the chocolate tower of yumminess…am wishing for one now. The side veggies from the grounds garden were just perfect. They pack up your dessert if you don't have room after the first 4 courses. The first night we shared one and took one back to our villa - carrot cake made it all the way home. Our favourite breakfast was eggs benedict - delicious and filling…no need for lunch. We burned breakfast by going horseback riding and biking the trails - we had good weather but shortened by dark threatening clouds - no worries - we brought our Scrabble…we did not get a chance to do water sports - opted to enjoy our quiet time in our villa . It's so nice sitting on the porch or in the screened dining area. We plan to return and stay longer to enjoy all activities offered. We had a relaxing quiet time away from reality, reconnected with one another, got a dose of Ontario's beautiful Algonquin Park - birds, chipmunks, gentle rivers, soft foliage, and have pleasant memories of the place and people who catered to our needs. The grounds were immaculate. I like how they use solar power and doing their best to keep the place contemporary and yet retain the Canadiana Algonquin beauty integrated throughout their facilities. John S and his team put a lot of "love' into Couples and it makes all the difference. We liked the museum too - when we get another dog we'll name him/her "Tequila"…Thanks so much for providing our much needed Sweet Serenity…see you soon. O & A

Room Tip: We are sure that all the rooms are wonderful…I wanted to stay in a Junior Suite just so to stay for...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are so thrilled that you loved the Villas and all that they have to Spoil you! Great to hear that you enjoyed the whole dining experience so much, laughs and all. The staff are always so pleased that they are remembered well for making you happy, thanks. We will continue to make it wonderful for your return visits, and just an FYI we are converting 2 Villa screened in porches to Hot Tub rooms this fall. See you soon.

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Port Elgin, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We could not have selected a better place to celebrate our 25th Anniversary. We had so much fun biking, kayaking and hiking the trails. Then in the evening the dining was exquisite. Thanks to Tony for making me the best Martini – ever!
All the staff were very attentive making us feel like very special. Our couples massage relaxed us even more than our private hot tub.
Can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
So glad your 25th was as special as it should be.. made even more so by the best ever martini..
Really must get details on that. We look forward to seeing you again on many more Anniversary
or other special getaways
Orillia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We just had our second stay at the Couples Resort and again they did not disappoint us. It was wonderfully relaxing. The service is exceptional. The food is to die for. Every staff member that we had contact with was extremely friendly and helpful. The first time we stayed was a dream vacation and I wasn't sure if they would be able to maintain the high standard that I was expecting when we went back. They certainly did not disappoint me. This resort is all about customer service and pampering their guests. Every villa, chalet and chateau are situated so that you have complete privacy. The dining room service is superb and the food exceptional. We stayed in a chalet both times and everything was extremely comfortable, clean and spacious. Both times that we have stayed there has been some rain and that is the only time I wished there was a little better lighting in the Chalet. The housekeeping staff do an excellent job. Our hot tub was well maintained and situated so that you had complete privacy when in it.
There are bikes, paddleboats, canoes and kayaks for your use as well as hiking onsite or you can go to Algonquin - they will even let you us their passes. I can't wait to go back for a 3rd visit. My husband left behind his cell phone when we checked out and there was a message waiting for us when we got home that they had it. They mailed it out to us and we had it within 2 days. The ladies working at the check-in desk are wonderful and put you at ease the minute you walk through their doors. I loved the fact that you have to dress up for dinner - something we don't do enough day by day so it was lovely to feel like each dinner was special. I can't recommend this resort enough and cant wait for my next visit there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for the wonderful review. And the photos of the Chalet truly demonstrate the privacy offered with the great view of the lake. We are so glad you felt so well taken care of while here. We look forward to seeing you again
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I can not begin to explain how relaxing and wonderful Couples Resort is! My boyfriend and I just returned from our second getaway together here and are ready to go back already.
From the time we made the booking to the time we drove out of the lot to come home was absolutely amazing.
The staff is extremely friendly and helpful with any questions you have.
We stayed in a Master's Suite, which includes your own private hottub and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.
Dinners are plentiful and do not disappoint. Fresh bread and an Amuse Bouche, 2 starters, one main, and dessert with every dinner. Might I recommend the Candy Cane beets!!! They are to die for!
Lots of perks for returning guests and plenty of activities on the resort and around to take advantage of.
Visiting both in the winter and summer, I now look forward to returning and experiencing it in the Fall!

Room Tip: Rooms all have a view of the Lake. Beautiful in both Summer and Winter
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thanks so much for the kind review. Your photos are amazing. We appreciate your sharing them with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the fall.
Bolton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

It seems that Couples Resort has invested a lot of time and effort into service and client experience. We stayed in a master junior suite. Hot tub, Jacuzzi steam shower , fireplace, etc ... - 1000 sqft. Staff were always great!.Our friends stayed in smaller rooms that are nice as well. Included dining was varied and very enjoyable. Dining staff added to the experience. We almost felt guilty spending 2 hrs enjoying our meals - almost but not quite :-)) ....
Overall an excellent destination to shed reality and kick-back. Great Value - $$ are worth it!

The grounds fit with the local environment. Its good to know they're reinvesting in the older facilities, new technologies( solar heating) and landscaping.
Who cares about weather !!! We were in the heated pool every day !
The lake was quiet, enabling paddle boating, canoeing etc.. whenever.
Lots to do ...We'll be back for sure !

Room Tip: All rooms have a lake view. If you enjoy more space(and a hot tub) Master junior suites or above are...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
So very glad you enjoyed your stay. No guilt needed when it comes to enjoying your dinner at a leisurely pace.This is way we have planned it. So much fun to take your time to enjoy a meal together. It seems rare in this fast paced society we live in. We love that you enjoyed all the facilities and activities so much despite what Mother Nature may throw
at us. We look forward to seeing you again
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed our honeymoon a couple of weeks ago. We were both blown away by the Couples Resort. From the time we stepped up to the front desk till we checked out; we were served by some of the friendliest people I've ever meet. The food was delicious and the accommodations were fantastic. When we first walked into the Villa we were blown away by how big it was. I think we were both expecting something smaller and were pleasantly surprised. It rained the first couple of days; but that was no problem. Since we stayed in one of the villas; we enjoyed our own sauna, two-person shower, in room jacuzzi, a fireplace, and a screened in porch, there was no reason to leave the room. In fact, on the rainy days we elected to have our dinners delivered to our room, in stead of us running through the rain.

One of the best examples of their customer service was when my wife and I over slept and woke up right as breakfast was ending. However, the dinning room noticed that we had not stopped in for breakfast and called us at !0:45 to ask if we still wanted breakfast. We were both stunned by the willingness to go the extra mile for us.

I could talk so much about how we loved the employees there. Another example is I have very ticklish feet. But I manned up and decided to get one of their "foot treatments for men" (just a funny way of calling it a men's pedicure). The treatment was half off during the summer. Danielle was able to give me my pedicure without tickling my feet which is a miracle if you ask my wife. Everyone was well trained and very nice.

I also really enjoyed the game room, which had darts, billiards, board games, and others. There was a lot to do including hiking, canoeing and horseback riding. But I really encourage you to cuddle up with your loved one next to the fireplace or out on the porch and read a book and enjoy each other's company.

I suppose their were only two downsides to my Couples Resort experience. I had trouble getting in touch with them the week before to confirm reservations by phone. But once I went through email, I received a reply with 24 hours. The other thing was during the rainy days, the wifi was a little shaky. This might just have been due to the rain. But on the bright side, it offered a great excuse to turn of the laptop and focus on whats important.

Overall, I highly recommend the Couples Resort. My wife and I are from Los Angeles, California and it was totally worth the long journey to get there. We plan on making it back some day. It was a fantastic honeymoon. We could not have had a better honeymoon for such a cheap price.

P.S. I should say a little bit more about the airport access. My wife and I flew into Buffalo Airport after take a red-eye from California. It took us about 6 hours to drive up to the resort (that's including stopping for lunch). It was pretty rough driving on such little sleep and if I could do it again, I would consider spending a day in Toronto or Niagara because we were both pretty shot when we got to the resort. The drive from Toronto airport or Ottawa is much shorter, but Buffalo was cheaper for us. So if you are flying, keep a lookout for deals at Toronto or Ottawa airport. With that said, it was totally doable to drive from Buffalo....just very tiring.

Room Tip: As far as rooms go, my wife and I elected to do a more expensive room and stay for 4 nights in stead...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I couldn`t imagine a more relaxing or peaceful place to take a BabyMoon before the craziness really begins - again. We discovered this little gem after much research online and were definitely NOT disappointed. The package price is unbeatable and worth every penny. Though the BabyMoon package only includes Jr. Suites (which is the `cheapest` of their rooms), there are lots of free things included - breakfast and gourmet supper every day (in dining room or free in room service), unlimited supply of juices and virgin drinks are supplied in the dining room and poolside for mom-to-be, free use of water equipment, etc. Pregnancy massage is available for a fee.
What really made our trip there for us were three things - the food, the peaceful setting, and the wonderful staff service. You can`t beat the setting. The resort sits on the edge of Galiery Lake which is 90% undeveloped and therefore very, very quiet. You can canoe or boat from the resort into Algonquin if you choose. The gardens are extremely well kept and perfectly blends in with the natural setting. We met Fern, the head gardener and he takes so much pride in what he does that it naturally shows in the spectacular results beautifully situated throughout the resort. The resort is very eco-friendly too. They grow much of the fresh vegetables and herbs on site (which is one of many reasons I`m sure the food is sooo good), they filter the lake water and use that for drinking water (and have their own CO2 machine to give you the option of sparkling water), they use solar panels to heat the water in private accommodations (which have private hot tubs) and parts of the resort, and they use 100% organic cotton towels (the in-room towels are soft like Egyptian cotton). Each room has a King-sized bed with the option of having a pillow topper on it - which we discovered was able to be removed for our second night stay and it made for a better sleep - a wood fireplace, and double person jacuzzi. Every staff member we met was more than helpful and made sure that I was comfortable at all times. The servers in the dining room all have a great sense of humour and definitely have recommendations ready for you if you ask. Though it`s a resort, you don`t get the same intensity as other high profile places and I`m inclined to contribute it to the `couples only` policy. It`s a place to completely unwind and de-stress, with offerings of a variety of activities if you choose - but no pressure to do anything else.
We found that some updating is needed in parts of the resort cosmetically (like the recreation room) but it didn`t detract from the service or the rest of the resort. The BabyMoon package is very difficult to find on the website (listed under Packages, then Brides, and is the last package on that submenu), and the website is very wordy and somewhat unclear in parts (though staff are quick to respond to email inquiries with clarifications). I think that a re-branding, or at least a new marketing campaign, of the resort would be greatly beneficial in bringing in more couples. It`s such a gem yet it took us several hours searching online before we found it.
We can`t wait to go back and hope to go again when we`re able to leave our newest addition with family - which probably won`t be sooner than we hope.

Room Tip: BabyMoon package only uses the Jr. Suites and you can only book your package the day before arrival...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Congratulations and I hope all is very well with you. Wow, you have completely described Couples Resort, no need for me, lol. We are so happy that you had so many things that made you happy in these last quiet days, thank you for enjoying beautiful Algonquin Park with us. We will see you when you are ready, with a free massage. Thank you for your review, the babymoon is easier to find now, and we are prioritizing repairs and renovations, and the rec room will be a little while yet. All the best in your future.

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!