“More Like a Hostel Than a Hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Purple Bamboo Hotel
No.21 Jinsha Road, Putuo District, Zhoushan 316107, China   |
Ranked #30 of 461 Hotels in Zhoushan
Shanghai, China
“More Like a Hostel Than a Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I just returned from three days in Putuoshan. It's a great place to go and you can walk on this side of the island to see everything very easily. The sights are beautiful and it's a peaceful place to go.

We stayed at the Purple Bamboo and, while it is a great location (looking out at the ocean) the hotel is more of a hostel than a hotel. When we entered employees were laying on a sofa in the lobby, playing on their cell phones. I didn't realize they only accept cash (I had reserved the room with a credit card) and the closest ATM didn't allow us to withdraw funds. Fortunately, there is another ATM (China Bank) nearby that did allow us to do so.

The rooms were small. The beds are futon-like and it feels more like you're sleeping on wood boards than a bed. My room had a musty smell and when I walked on the carpeting I realized the carpeting near the bathroom was wet and there was a leak somewhere. The rooms were also not clean or well taken care of.

If you only speak English, this isn't the place to stay as no one speaks English (you can get around this with a translator on your phone, though).

If you're looking for a good location, this is a great location. If you're looking for somewhere comfortable and clean to stay, this isn't it.

Room Tip: Make sure you bring cash if you are staying here or shopping on the island. Don't assume the ATM...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

In truth, I wasn't expecting much. I had heard all hotels in Putuo Shan were a rip off. Even though I was traveling mid-week, nothin much seemed available for less than about $75 USD. I booked the Purple Bamboo on the site elong, where it is known as the ZiZhu hotel. I was taking a shot in the dark. There was one review in English for a hotel on Putuo shan (Zhoushan) and I could not find a booking site for it. So I picked a random moderately priced hotel on, the ZiZhu (Purple Bamboo) at 320 RMB (about $53 USD). I was extremely delighted. THere was a mini bus waiting at the pier to pick us up. The hotel was a short bus ride away and sat right across from the water and within short walking distance of the the central area from where you can catch a bus to anywhere on the island. The rooms were clean, airy and bright. I have not one negative thing to say and highly recommend this place to all visitors. The rates go up a bit on weekends, but you will get no better value for you money on Putuoshan.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Purple Bamboo Hotel? Share your experiences!