“Ratings higher than deserved...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Briarwood Inn

and 1 more site!
You added Briarwood Inn to your Saves list
Briarwood Inn
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   253 Matthews Lane | Prince Edward Island, Alberton, Prince Edward Island C0B 1B0, Canada   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Alberton B&B and Inns
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Ratings higher than deserved...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I called Briarwood Inn because the ratings I'd seen were okay...really disappointed. Originally had booked a room with king sized bed, but after buying lobsters and other shellfish, I called and asked if they had a room with a stove so we could steam our food. Was told they had their "honeymoon suite" available. It cost more but sounded great so I said fantastic. The "suite" did have a small kitchen, a bedroom and a living room. Sadly the floor was sticky and you could hear every step taken, the carpet under the coffee table was really dirty with spots, the table was also sticky and the whole place had a non clean feeling. What made it a "honeymoon suite"? The jacuzzi bathrub, which frankly, we didn't use. The shower this morning was horrific! Couldn't get hot water, barely less than COLD and no pressure at all so little barely beyond a dripping. The bed creaked and made noise with every move. Not very good sleep. There were also cockroach looking bugs in kitchen sink this morning. Of all hotels/motels in last 2 weeks in the Maritime/Atlantic Provinces, this was our worst experience!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Middleton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

First the pluses: the room in the motel portion was large with a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The room had no carpet (which is always a bonus) and the grounds are nice. The downsides: had to call the number on the door for someone to come to the office so I could check in, no breakfast or anything in a vending machine, thin walls, hot water running in other rooms causes a high pitched noise that woke me at 3 am, very poor WiFi signal that dropped completely on numerous occasions. And all of these would have been bearable but for the overpowering odour in the room. I wondered why my room's door and windows were wide open before I checked in (as were the other vacant rooms) but when I entered the room the pungent aroma of floral-like air fresheners/fabric softeners that I could not actually locate hit me. Anyone with scent sensitivities should definitely look for another motel. It's too bad. Otherwise the room was nice.

• Stayed August 2013
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed one night, after the first day of cycling on the Confederation Trail. This location is listed in the PEI Confederation Trail guidebook, so I chose it based on the distance from where we started. If you're cycling, be aware: the Inn is appx another 5-7km from the trailhead. Though it's not a huge distance, it adds onto your day. Also, there is no store nearby to get food/drink, so you have to either walk or cycle back into Alberton to eat dinner and breakfast. If you don't know this in advance, you stand to cycle an additional 20km.
That said, the very hospitable innkeepers saw how muddy and tired we were, and graciously offered us the use of their truck to drive back into town. (Where in the world does this happen except PEI?) Our room was large, clean, and water pressure was great. The kitchen was well-appointed and had we been there longer, would have been useful. We had the use of a hose to wash down our bikes as well, which was extremely helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed overnight while visiting the western end of the Island. Although not luxurious, the motel room was comfortable and clean. The small fridge and microwave and the coffee maker in the room were nice conveniences. The room rate made this a great place to stay. I would definitely recommended the Inn to anyone staying in the vicinity, which is well worth doing. Lots of beautiful places and beaches to explore nearby.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Moncton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed in one of their two-storey cottages from September 14-16, 2012 for a baseball tournament in Tignish, PE.

Check in was simple and quick and we were given the keys to our cottage. The cottage is nothing really special...kind of what you would expect out of a cottage. Upon entering and taking a tour around the cottage, we couldn't believe the amount of flies in there. So, unfortunately, we had to spend the first 30-45 minutes of our stay killing all of these flies. We must have killed over 100 flies in the entire cottage...not to mention a few of the largest spiders I have ever seen in my life. Now, understand that these are nice cottages...it's not like the place was infested. I understand how a few flies could get in, but If I were the owner, I would have probably did a quick run through the cottage to make sure that when the guest arrives, they don't have to "play exterminator" for the first 30-45 minutes of their stay. Not the way you want to start a weekend, but oh well, I've been through worse.

The two-storey cottage has your typical kitchen, living area, and screened-in porch on the first floor, and bathroom and two bedrooms upstairs. One room had a queen I believe, and the other room had two twins. All was good has far as space and comfort. Despite our spiders and flies episode, everything did appear to be clean, which is always a plus! The shower system is geared more for anyone under 5'6 or so, but again, it's what I expected for a cottage.

The surrounding area is quite nice too...lots of open space. This region of Prince Edward Island is really nice in general, so you're in an ideal location to tour around by bicycle or vehicle.

So, for the price we paid for the weekend, I would say we got our money's worth. Again, this place isn't "over-the-top" but it is more than adequate for a nice getaway in PEI's Prince County.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Monkton, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Briarwood! We had the "honeymoon suite" for our 30th anniversary trip. It was incredibly spacious, clean, and convenient with the kitchen and living room space. Very enjoyable stay with friendly folks in the front office.

Room Tip: We took a look at one of the cottages too & it looked great! If you are looking for a homey env...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

My daughter and I have come back to the Briarwood for several years and always had a good experience. We haven't stayed in the inn, but in the housekeeping units - living room, kitchenette, 1 bedroom and bathroom. Two units are larger. We come here with our dog and really like it. The housekeeping units are quite clean and there is TV and free wi-fi, although the wi-fi is sometimes spotty. It is the country, after all. There are barbecues outside on the lawn for guests to use and it's a beautiful property on the water. I recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Briarwood Inn? Share your experiences!