“No air con in public places terrible for 4* hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Elba Sara

Save Saved
You added Hotel Elba Sara to your Saves list
Hotel Elba Sara
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Jandia Km 11, Urb Fuerteventura Golf Resort, 35610 Antigua, Fuerteventura, Spain   |
Ranked #4 of 26 hotels in Antigua
wolverhampton
“No air con in public places terrible for 4* hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We arrived at 9pm and had two up graded rooms very nice room 602 very large and room 620 huge (but be warned this room is a very long treck from anywhere and although both rooms on 6th floor they are not accessable from each other you have to go down to floor 2 and go back in lift and in case of room 620 a long treck along corridors. Food was very nice but the actual restaurant had no or very poor air con which made eating there at night a quick affair as it was so uncomfortable, the air con in our room (620) was very poor I think this is due to the size of room but if I had paid for a junior suite & not had free upgrade this would have been very bad. There was also no air con in upstairs bar or reception area which for a 4 star hotel is very poor.

Location is near airport (14euro from airport in taxi that took 10 mins at most was great dont pay for transfers as we had and used on way back ! you spend an hour zig zagging about a mile picking up but coach had very good air con which made us laugh !

Again like other people found that they cut all-inc band off at 12noon very unacceptable when we had only had very poor evening meal when we arrived due to not getting down to restaurant until 9.45pm (closes at 10pm) we had one drink and went to bed so again you are loosing half a days all-inc. My daughter asked for late check out day after we arrived and was told it was 60 euros or come down at 8pm night before leave and may get one free, she booked 2 x 30min slots in courtesy room just incase and was told next night no free late check out room, so we went at our allotted time (4.30pm to collect key for courtesy room - and was given key to MALE shower room in gym ! so with 2 ladies one 7 year old girl and 1 man we trooped to gym, opened door to male shower room and there was a man in there using room - he was a bit shocked I think, I was fuming, walked back to reception and was met with a shrug of shoulders and given the key to ladies shower - which also had a lady in it at the time ! When these people had gone we used disgusting dirty showers = floors are dirty and swimming in water my daughter me and grand=daughter stood in the attached sauna to get dry as only dry place in there. When I complained no hair dryer, dirty conditions to reception was told its only shower not courtesy room. VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE, we wont be going back and if you are going BEWARE. Very bad end to our holiday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
DavidNavarr0, Director General at Hotel Elba Sara, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear wolverhamptonlot,

Thank you for taking the time to write your opinion about your stay at the Hotel Elba Sara.
We are happy to read that you enjoyed the advantage of our fidelity card and received two upgrades to two Junior Suites.

Regarding your comment about the courtesy shower; we know that the gym is not the perfect place to take your shower before departure and I promise that our employees would love to offer you to keep on the room until your late departure but unfortunately when we are fully booked we need the rooms ready for our arrivals before 3 pm as stated in the contracts with our travel agencies with the consequence that the only place to take a shower that day was the gym.
These showers are offered in slots of a half an hour per room so I will certainly speak to reception to find out what went wrong that day and I will also speak to our cleaning department to prevent that our guests have the feeling of taking a shower in dirty conditions.
We apologize for the bad end of your holiday and we wish that it could have been otherwise but this little niggle will certainly not ruin your wonderful holydays among us.

I remain at your disposal for any further questions or queries so please do not hesitate to contact us directly as we would love to see you again among us in the near future.

Warm (29º) and sunny regards from Fuerteventura.

1,627 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Polish first
Falkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just back from Elba Sara - stayed from 3/7 to 13/7 with my wife and 10 year old son. I must admit I was apprehensive at first as this was our first experience staying all-inclusive in a 4-star hotel and for some reason I expected things to be not as described in the brochure. I was wrong - we have genuinely had the best holiday we have ever had. The hotel was immaculately clean and every morning there was an army of cleaners working around the pool and public areas to keep it spotless.

The restaurant was always clean, albeit the decor is a bit dated, however, the food served was excellent with a wide choice and throughout the afternoon they served additional food and cakes in the poolside bar.

Despite the hotel being very busy we never once experienced any great queues for food, nor did we encounter any problems getting a sun lounger by the pool. The poolside area is excellent and the pools themselves were clean and never felt particularly crowded. The surrounding gardens are absolutely beautiful and I've added a couple of photos that hopefully give an idea as to how nice the environs were.

They are a bit mean with towels initially for the room, in particular bath towels, however, after asking for additional ones at reception we received more and they were duly replaced when requested. Therefore, I can't complain about the service we got. The room itself was very clean and the bathroom was a really good size and always kept very clean by housekeeping during our stay - we stayed in room 645 and I have to say the view was incredible - a plus side for the Elba Sara as all rooms appear to face out to the sea, whereas the sister hotel Elba Carlota has rooms which face out onto a side street.

Wi-fi worked perfectly and TV also had BBC channels available. Dining room applied a no-shorts rule at dinner and while I did see a couple of guys with shorts, I also saw staff approaching them and asking that in future they wear long trousers. No-one was actually turned away at the door but it was pointed out to them.

I can't fault any part of the holiday and perhaps to give you a flavour as to how much we enjoyed it, we have already decided that we intend to return to this same hotel next year!

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea, however, some of the lower rooms on floor 2 for example, may not have a view...
Dear jimandcorinna

Thank you very much for sharing such positive report about your stay at the Hotel Elba Sara on this website for travellers.
We are really proud to have exceeded your expectations and to read that you have already decided to come back next year.We also like to thank you for mentioning our cleaning department and the choice and quality of our food.

Regarding that next visit; please contact us directly with your requests as we will do our utmost to meet them.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

When I first arrived my first impressions was WOW. Really stunning hotel!
Food was good, was half board but if came here again would try and get full board.
Entertainment was good some good shows on-I liked the Michael Jackson Tribute, thought they were really good!
Beach not too far away so went there most days as poolside was busy. Also a small shopping centre near by with supermarket etc which was handy when getting snacks for the beach, days off etc.
Only small problem was the safe broke and couldn't get into it-had to wait for about half a day to get a maintenance guy to open it-would of been an issue if we needed passports etc.
Overall was pleased with choice of hotel. Stay for a week but wanted to stay for longer because of experience.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Sunnysmile_10

Thank you very much for sharing your positive experience from your stay at the Hotel Elba Sara with other potential visitors on this website for travellers.We are very proud to have fulfilled your expectations in general and happy to read that you wanted to stay a little longer.

We apologize for the problem that you have encountered with the safe that day and even though we strive to offer you a problem free holiday, we are glad that this was the only negative throughout your stay and we hope to see you again in the future.

Feel free to contact us with any type of request regarding your next visit as we will do our utmost to meet it.

Livingston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Arriving at the Elba Sara Hotel in June for two weeks all inclusive for two weeks filled me with dread (wife and grandsons choice), however I was genuinely surprised this hotel was spotless and that was not just the rooms but all of the public areas that we seen over the two weeks. taking an 8 year old on holiday required I thought lots of different things to keep him busy, but 3 swimming pools a cold tub (sorry not hot at all), mini golf, tennis courts, a beach on the door step, a kiddie club and much more to keep him entertained, meant that we were confined to the hotel for the duration other than a few outings. This was no bad thing as the staff were fantastic and pleasant at all times and left a bottle of champagne in our room for us to celebrate my wife's birthday, a very nice touch thank you. Room was large and clean, bathroom really large, TV had english channels including cbbies, but the air con was non existent. My grandson really enjoyed the entertainment and was a little party animal staying up late every night enjoying the choo choo song.... Food was above average for all inclusive with a fantastic choice at every meal time, sometimes the soup was a little cold but there was a microwave to heat things up. My only issues and there are two, one, a chef was cooking burgers at lunch which was served to children and unfortunately not cooked properly, my wife then stood over the chef to ensure that the food was cooked through, and the other was a chef was using the same tongs to pick up raw chicken and then use the same tongs to serve up the cooked chicken, this is a big no,no and could cause serious food poisoning. That being said we just avoided the show cooking and settled for other food of which there was always plenty. Would I go back again? Possibly for a week in the winter when it is a bit quieter.

Room Tip: Rooms above reception were noisy but had good wifi.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
DavidNavarr0, Director General at Hotel Elba Sara, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear keivs

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Hotel Elba Sara on this website for travellers.
We are glad to read that you were genuinely surprised with the cleanliness of the establishment and that the grandson had the time of his life.
Thank you for mentioning our fantastic and pleasant staff, the choice of our food and for appreciating the little touch on your wife’s birthday.
We will certainly pass your comment to the kitchen staff; to avoid those comments as these are thing that are not supposed to happen in our hotel and we apologize for that.
We are also very happy to read that you possibly would come back in the winter therefore please don’t hesitate to contact us in advance with your requests as we will do our utmost to meet them.

Sunny regards from all the Elba Sara staff
neath
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I am not happy writing this review, I do not like running down hotels, but, in all the holidays we have taken, this is by far, the most busiest hotel we have stayed in.
I am not gointg to write a long review, but it seems that people who stay in rooms 323 - 322 must have the unluckiest holidays at this hotel.
We stayed in these rooms from 26/6/13 - 3/7/13 and experienced exactly the same problems as sharon18holiday.
I reported the towel shortage on three occassions to the hotel reception & also to the Thomas Cook rep and was told it was a new problem to them and they would make a note of it.
The restauarant resembled a school canteen, running out of crockery, dishes, food, etc.
However, I must say that the staff there were working extremely hard to sort out these problems.
I was not the first guest to ask if the hotel was under-staffed.
The long trousers policy for men was a farce, staff on the door were not enforcing it and many men were wearing shorts {not even tidy ones sometimes].
All in all this hotel does not come up to the standard of a Thomas Cook Premier Style 4* hotel.
They advertise this as being on the beach, how many people were suprised at the beach when they walked out of the gate and onto the promenade.
Finally, I must also hand it to the 6 O`clock towel brigade, you have some stamina getting up every morning for your sunbeds.
Unfortunately, a lot of people may disagree with my comments, but that is the experience we had.
Would I recommend it - no, stay in the Elba carlota up the road.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 5th floor to avoid the view of the palm tress outside your window.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear sandamNeath

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your report about your stay at the Hotel Elba Sara.

First of all we like to apologize if the hotel was too busy for you to enjoy your holiday as you expected but be aware that as we are a family oriented hotel , during school holidays period we have more than 200 children every day. If you want to enjoy peace and relax we recommend you coming oout of these periods of the year.
We do appreciate the kind words about our staff and regarding your comment about the long trousers; despite of our will to enforce the long trousers rule, most of our guests find it incomprehensible and useless during these hot summer months, so we decided to suspend it for the moment.
The beach is at 150 meter from the hotel and we did contact our travel companies to correct this in the brochures starting from the summer season 2013 on, so we are very sorry if that hasn’t been corrected yet by your travel company. Anyway you can reach the beach walking only five minutes from the beach gate next to our miniclub.
From last week on we started tying the sun beds together in the evening to loosen them at 8:30 am so we also resolved the problem with the towel brigade at 6 o’clock.

We remain at your disposal for any further questions or queries and again, we are very sorry if we did not fulfil your expectations but we do hope to see you again in the future so please do not hesitate to contact us directly with your requests as we will do our utmost to meet them.

Best regards from all the Elba Sara staff.
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We went to the Elba Sara from the 29th June to Sat 6th July, and loved this hotel.
Before we went i looked at most of the reviews before we traveled and don't want to really repeat what most people have said.

The grounds of this Hotel are truly remarkable, from the waterfall which falls down the side of this man made cave (which you walk through) and follow around over bridges where there is a lot of large fish, through the lovely grounds of flowers, All very well kept.

A lot of people were complaining about the all inclusive finishing at 11.00pm, this is true, but if you want to drink passed then, well order a few more drinks before 11.00, that simple.

The same at checkout at 12.00pm they take your wristbands off you then, so the night before stock up on your water bottles and use them the next day, or when they give you your voucher for your lunch stock up on your drinks until your pick up time.

A few people were saying that the food wasn't warm enough, I couldn't fault the food at all everything you could ever want, what shocked me was nearly every child i saw for lunch and for dinner just had chips and Pizza every day, not a vegetable in sight.

The entertainment in the evening was a bit Dull, they repeat everything in about five different languages and after a while it just becomes this noise, and if i here that damn Chuku chuku song again, well, god help the person stood next to me.

Saying all this, the good out does the bad and we had a good holiday, Oh just let me have one last moan, From getting on the plane at Manchester, screaming babies, round the pool, screaming babies, in the entertainment bars at night, yes screaming babies, now upstairs there is a room, we called it the candle room they have these, well they look like birdcages but they put candles in them when it gets dark and it looks really effective, we liked it in there to have a game of cards or scrabble it was really relaxing, i thought great a screaming baby getaway, NO WAY, in they came, big shame it would have been great to have just this one area without getting a headache, the hotel really needs to address this, just one area without the constant screams would be great.

Winging over would i go back.... Yes i would just need to take thicker ear plugs.

Paul B
Thank you very much for sharing your opinion about your stay at the Hotel Elba Sara with other potential visitors and for your positive words about our grounds and surroundings.
We are proud to have fulfilled your expectations in general and very happy to read that you probably will come and visit us again. (With thicker earplugs)
We will also study your suggestion about a child free space in the hotel and see if we can do something about it for your future visit.
Please do not hesitate to contact us directly with your requests regarding your next visit as we will do our utmost to meet them.

Zoo Town West Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from our third trip to the Elba Sara and the more times we go there the more we like it. We arrived 2 hours later than expected on the evening of the 19th June 2013 but were soon checked in by the very efficient staff on reception. My wife phoned the hotel 4 week prior to our arrival and spoke to Lydia, a very helpful and professional member of the Elba Sara Team who speaks very good English (as do most of the girls on the front desk) to request a particular room. Which to our surprise we were allocated. Whenever we return this hotel we feel like we are visiting old friends because all the staff at the Elba Sara are warm and friendly people, who work extremely hard to make our stay as enjoyable as possible.
We were pleased to see that they had enforced the long trouser rule for gentlemen since we were there in 2012. After all it`s no great hardship to dress for dinner. I was pleasantly surprised to see the effort most of the young parents had gone to in dressing up their children in similar smart attire. The first time we stayed at the Elba Sara my wife and I struck up a friendship with Guayer one off the staff who works in housekeeping. She is quite charming, speaks a little English and always passes the time of day with us as she goes rushing by to sort out the next task in her busy schedule. The food in the restaurant is varied and plentiful with something for everyone but if you would like a change I can highly recommend Frado Rock Steakhouse in the nearby town. don`t be fooled by the word steakhouse they do have a very extensive menu and speak very good English. Food prices at Frado Rock are reasonable but drink prices are a little steep.
If I could change anything about the Elba Sara then two things I would change are. 1 Let the guests keep their All inclusive wristbands until they leave the hotel, after all another drink and a snack won`t break the bank but it is good Public Relations and 2 Restrict very small children from serving themselves in the dining room. That is with both food and drinks, then there will be less things on the floor to slip on.
The lifeguard also does an excellent job, patrolling the different pools picking up debris as he goes, he also changes the bags in the litter bins. which keeps the pool areas neat and tidy. But he is always within earshot in case someone gets into difficulty in the pool.
My wife and I were thinking of going to Cuba for our holiday in 2014, but after the warm welcome, and good service we received at the Elba Sara this visit we will be returning next year for the 4th consecutive time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear merlin 1974

Thank you very much for your loyalty towards us at the Hotel Elba Sara and for such a positive and complete report about your third stay at our establishment.
We are very proud to have fulfilled your expectations again and most importantly to read that you have already planned to visit us for the fourth time.
We are glad that it feels like coming home and we must thank you for writing such kind words about our staff. I will personally send your regards to Lydia and Guayarmina and thank them for their friendliness and professionalism.

We are always open for suggestions on how to improve the hotel, so we thank you for those suggestions which will help us to provide a better service to our guests and please
do not hesitate to contact us directly with any type of requests regarding your next visit as we will do our utmost to meet them.

Best and sunny regards from all the Elba Sara staff.

Been to Hotel Elba Sara? Share your experiences!