“Hanging beds under the stars!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Posada del Arquitecto

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mazunte
Posada del Arquitecto
You added Posada del Arquitecto to your Saves list
Calle Rinconcito | Mazunte, Mazunte 70946, Mexico   |
Seattle, WA
“Hanging beds under the stars!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

This place is a little different, but I really liked sleeping under the stars on a hanging bed, listening to the waves. I did actually feel a tiny nauseous the next morning, but not bad at all. For me it was more about the experience of sleeping under the stars on a hanging bed than anything. The cafe sits overlooking the ocean on a cliff, which is nice in the morning. I thought the coffee and granola was really good. The staff were fine, not rude, but not overly pleasant. They provided me with what I needed and asked for (clean sheets and blanket). Yes make sure you have your own lock to lock up your bag, since there is no room essentially under the stars. I enjoyed my stay here and would return. I met some nice people travelers in the cafe, if you're solo. I would also check out other spots to see if anything is comparable.

Room Tip: Ask for Las Estrellas (for beds under the stars)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Overall we had a great time in Mazunte, but this wasn't necessarily because of this place. We stayed at Luna, which is the highest room of the place, just aside las estrellas. There had been a hurricane a couple of months before, so the place was a little messy. Some cabins hadn't been fixed yet.
The place has an excellent view and probably the best location. It's right next to the beach, and has a nice terrace that works as a restaurant and common grounds.
At night mazuntes (regional crabs) ran up and down the place, it was really nice to see and hear them.
The place itself is really beautiful. It sits on a little hill that devides two beaches, the cabins are cozy and well adapted, the place is clean and spacieux. You could get a good night sleep and food was ok but pricy.
For us, hanging beds worked the best ;)
The dark/not-so-funky side:
-There are a lot of mosquitoes, specially at night. The bedrooms have a hanging mosquitoe net but it had holes. Also, it's really hot at night and the cool air coming out of the fan doesn't get past the net, which as you can imagine gets pretty annoying.
-Staff is really, and I mean REALLY unhelpful and unkind. It's as if they did not want you to be staying there. They don't even smile back... They try to seem laidback and hippy, but they really aren't. We had stayed there before and we wanted to make a reservation for 3 nights, but they wouldn't take reservations for less than a week during holidays, even though they don't have any problems with finding more guests for the rest of the week, which gave us the impression that they don't want to do the extra effort. Greed is so not hippy...
Mazunte is beautiful, and so is this place, but do look for other options before.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Arquitecto is okay, but not wonderful. For one, if you are travelling solo I think this would be a hard place to meet other people because there is no common space at all. I am travelling solo, but a the time was with three other people I had met in PE, and so Arquitecto was okay because we were already a group.There is no kitchen if you want to cook. I personally enjoyed the hanging beds, but they are certainly not for everyone. And yes, there are a lot of mosquitos around, and many of the mosquito nets have holes in them (like my friend found out) so make sure you have insect repellant with you. There are lockers, but I left my passport etc. at the reception, although some people have reported issues with that. However, for me, this wasn't so. Location is great though, right next to the beach!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I stayed in a private room which was great to be honest. I had a place to lock my stuff, a sink, and it was in a great spot. The mosquito net worked just fine and every morning I woke up and saw like 20000 mosquito outside the net - but none inside. On the down side the place is a bit weird with no hostel atmosphere whatsoever. Restaurant is a bit pricy. And beds are horrible - they are hung from the ceiling and every time you move they move with you which makes you go motion sick. And the mattress is super thin which makes you feel like sleeping on a rock. I liked the yoga lessons taking place every morning at 9 - really cool. Place is clean too, which was my make consideration staying and not moving to next door hostel (La Isla).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We came in the off season and rented the coco cabaña for 250 pesos a night. It was alright - next the busy street, open air, and a floating bed. The open air and floating bed sound nice, but, the mosquito nets have holes in them and floating beds are just a terrible idea, it's like being on the ocean. I was deeply underwhelmed by the posada, I suppose the Beds outside are nice because of the view but it seems rather difficult without an easy way to store your belongings. This is not the only posada in mazunte, I highly suggest going elsewhere to get more bang for your buck!

• Stayed September 2013
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Despite all the positives of the place such as great beach front location, cheapish accommodation compared to other hotels around, staying there left a rather bitter taste in my mouth. I stayed in one of the estrellas, which is like a hanging double bed covered with a mosquito net for 100 pesos. The estrella area is on top of a rock right next to the ocean front, so you fall asleep and wake up with the sound of the waves. There are no lamps or light in the evening, so have your own flash light. You have a locker, as there are no cupboards, you sleep almost under the stars - you have to have your own padlock. Even the shared shower is totally open, well you can call it hippy, you can call it natural or romantic or simply grim, it's up to you however you want to address it. It was the cheapest option at a time, all other hotels were booked up and their dorms looked like concentration camp baraques for 80 pesos, so I decided to stick with the estrellas.

The negatives of the place: the receptionists do not speak a word of English, so be prepared to have a rather rude and unhelpful attitude. Just to give you and example, when I checked in the receptionist lady didn't bother to help me at all, when I asked for a sheet, she said "not included" and rushed off. After spending a night sweating on and sticking to a plastic mattress managed to get a sheet for 10 pesos from another, slightly more helpful receptionist. Yes, the sheet was not included, but hey, anyone would have 10 pesos for it, the receptionist just didn't want to bother to give it to me.

The estrellas are not rooms and you have to sign an agreement that the place is not responsible for any of your valuables unless you leave them at the reception. Therefore when I checked in I left my little bag with all of my valuables, all of my money, cards, passport etc, at the reception. It was simply shoved in a filing cabinet by the super unhelpful, dismissive receptionist. When I checked out a couple of days later I had a rather nasty surprise - huge sum of my money was stolen from my purse. It took me a day to go back to the hotel and just as usual, no one was helpful and no one would even understand that I wanted to talk to a manager. A local Mexican girl kindly helped me to translate and when I told her my problem, she reported exactly the same problem: she had left her towel outside overnight which was stolen by the morning, just like her boyfriend's two swimming togs!

By the afternoon I managed to meet an English speaking manager who wrote down the incident and promised to get back to me. Well, as it never happened I emailed her in a week time. To cut a long story short, after almost a month long back-and-forth emails they refunded the money that was stolen from me. I guess this was the minimum they could do, but I can't really report on a really helpful attitude in relation to the issue either.

I am leaving this review here as it is simply unacceptable that hotel staff steals from you when you leave your valuables with them and to raise awareness. Honestly guys, you are better off using your own lockers with your own padlock, not leaving stuff at the reception and you have to be really aware of not leaving your valuables around (anything!), as it can get stolen. You will probably have great difficulties there if you don't speak Spanish too..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Madrid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I've spent 2 nights there on October 2011 with a friend. We were lucky it wasn't high season, but the place was still fully occupied, especially the expensive rooms. We had a "room" in the middle of the complex, that looks like a small village next to the sea. We has to climb a rather straight ladder to access the room that was built in a tree, once there you have everything that you need: plugs, a comfy bed with mosquitos webs, closet, etc. We had no real walls so no intimacy, which would have been bad if I would have been with a girl! Other problem was that restrooms/showers were a bit far from our room.
Now the good part: THE BAR! It is by the beach, with a kind of lounge and music, though it closes very early at night for some reason. The place is well located in the village, next to others places like restaurants and bars and really right on the beach.
If you don't book previously you can expect no vacancy at arrival, but never worry, just walk by the beach and you will find other look-alike places as Mazunte unfortunately is becoming more and more touristic each year.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is high on the hill for the view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Posada del Arquitecto? Share your experiences!