“A warm welcome from John and his team” 4 of 5 stars

New Inn Winchelsea
German Street, Winchelsea TN36 4EN, England   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Winchelsea B&B and Inns
Croydon, United Kingdom
“A warm welcome from John and his team”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

John and his partner have recently taken over the New Inn, Winchelsea and, from what the locals say and what we have just witnessed first-hand, he is making a success of it. A warm welcome and a very reasonably priced room, which includes a first class breakfast. Characterful and comfortable bar, with roaring log fire. We dined in the busy restaurant section and the food was plentiful and good. We enjoyed a quiz night there, which was good fun and got people talking to each other. Occasionally they have some live music, such as a pianist. The New Inn seems to be a hit with everyone. We wish them good luck and will certainly be returning.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bolzano, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I had flown over from Italy and linked up with my brother as we had to tend to some rather sad family business in the area.
We both agreed that we couldn't have stayed in a better place The service we received was second to none - the owners and staff couldn't have been more helpful and we were made to feel very welcome indeed. The food was first class and I particularly liked the range and quality of the beers (I was gasping for a pint of good English beer again by the time I had arrived late in the evening.......!!)
Our rooms were very comfortable but it was hard to drag ourselves away from the bar and dining area where a well tended log fire helped create a most pleasant atmosphere.
All in all I have no hesitation in recommending The New Inn as an ideal place to stay. It has everything that you want from an "English pub" these days and given the history of the area, it has lost none of it's "olde world charm" whilst at the same time catering for the needs of 21st century clientele - not an easy balance to achieve. Well done The New Inn, keep up the good work.

Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

WOW is what I thought when I returned to this venue, previously run down with no character or warmth this beautiful pub has been spinkled with fairy dust. Under new management John and Dec share a vision and passion to reinvent this pub and hotel bringing their London experience to this stunning medievil Town.
I was welcomed by large ornate mirrors, a crackling fire, comfy sofas and smiling staff, what more could you ask for? well a new menu with local produce was presented to me when I asked for a table to dine and I was not left disappointed by the presentation, quality and tastiness of the food.
Good luck guys, I know you have more work to do but from taking over from Monday 21 November to when I visited on Saturday there is an amazing difference already.
Keep up the good work and I look forward to returning, The New Inn is definately on my recommendation list.
Oh and don't worry I didn't give you a 5, that will come when you have made further with your plans :-)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Ashford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

was going to change my mined about going here with the reveiws but i am so glad i didnt had a lovely time room was clean and full of charm . the staff very friendly the food we had was very good quilty and breakfast was good and fresh not like some places i have stayed i am looking forward to returning here soon

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We booked it through the wbsite and were very disappointed. There was a distinct lack of welcome when we arrived. The room was reasonably clean, but very shabby. The curtains and window seat were faded and threadbare.The ensuite shower room was grubby, especially the mosaic tiles in the shower. There was no place to dry towels properly. The biggest disappointment was breakfast. A 9 o'clock start is too late when you want to make the most of the day. There was no menu and you were only asked if you wanted a full English breakfast. No alternatives were offered. The service was farcical. Each morning we had to ask for milk or teaspoons or our toast. There were no teaplates. On our first morning the orange juice was off. The choice of cereals was Weetabix, Rice Crispies or Coco Pops! The toast came on a plate, piled on top of each other with a lump of butter melting on the plate beside it. The coffee machine was dirty. Some of the crockery was chipped. The cooked breakfast was unappetising due to lack of presentation and poor cooking standards. The staff seemed to be in a perpetual state of disorganisation. We didn't eat there at night due to poor quality breakfast. Very few diners were in any of the nights. No wonder! When I checked out, no one asked about my stay. The door to the car park was locked , so I had to carry my cases round the long way. No one offered to help. This hotel is being very badly run with untrained staff. It needs a lot of refurbishment and people to run it who have a proper knowledge of the hotel and catering industry. Winchelsea is a beautiful town and this Inn is not doing justice to it. We will never be back or recommend it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Wickford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

The new inn on the outside looks fantastic, but we were given possibly the worse room. It was right above the kitchen and even with the window shut it smelt of food, which made me fee sick. The heating only came on for two hours around half 7 in the evening but was off all night. Had to wear a jumper in bed, and I could see my breath! The bed was not comfy at all, it made too much noise and there were dead bugs on the wall. There was no hair dryer and when I asked for one they could not find one. I was up all night and in the morning felt ill and tired. Waited until half 8 and there were still no members of staff downstairs!

Room Tip: Make sure heating comes on! Bring a hair dryer.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011 via mobile

Stayed here as was in the area for work during the week! You would expect in a B&B for the breakfast to start bright and early for people on business etc but NO!!!! They don't start serving till 9 during the week! So paid £80 for a bed and breakfast in a room that was dirty, smelly with a landing that smelt of sewers also with out the breakfast!!! Definitely would not stay there again nor would I let anyones dog stay there!!!!! The place was very badly run and MEGA overpriced!!!!

• Stayed August 2011

Been to New Inn Winchelsea? Share your experiences!