“Anniversary stay for dinner bed and breakfast” 5 of 5 stars

Redcoats Farmhouse Hotel & Restaurant
Redcoats Green, Hitchin SG4 7JR, England   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Hitchin
hitchin
“Anniversary stay for dinner bed and breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed on a weekday and as it was our anniversary they kindly up graded usgreatto Bobby's room the honeymoon suite. The room was fantastic, and they have just replaced all the mattreI'm ses with Hypnosis hand made mattresses which are just amazing and the rooms in the courtyard have just been refurbished.
Dinner amd breakfast were excellent as were the waiting staff. Redcoats is a full of antique charm, if your wanting boutique chic look elsewhere, but if you want great service and food in fantastic historical surroundings you'll love Redcoats.
The Morey's

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had bedroom 9 and the sofa bed open to fit the 3 of us-it was a bit uncomfortable but the double bed was really nice, nice linen and 2 pillows toeach to chose from. the bathroom had lovely White Company toiletries and plenty of fluffy towels. The kids loved the hot chocolate and biscuits on offer. Breakfast was really nice and quantity of food offered is generous. It takes a while for the staff to get the order and then come back with the items chosen- and it was not busy. We had dinner there only one night and again it took some time before order was taken and food brought- the staff was very nice to offer a drink as we had to wait and explained that everything is cooked when order comes in. the main courses were delicious, the dessert (cheesecake) could do with less cream and a "lighter" approach (try the ottolenghi recipe!). We were greeted warmly and all the staff was nice and helpful. The older part of the building is really charming. The lovely garden is kept beautifully. My 3 rating is due to service and price.

Room Tip: we had room 9 and it was nice, looking at manicured garden. i suspect it might be noisy if parties a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I recently booked my husband and I in for a night at the hotel and upgraded to a superior room. The room was quite tired - main desk was ripped and the chair arm's were broken. Whilst it is an English farmhouse, for the price it definitely needs some updating to justify the price.
The restaurant is definitely for foodies - amazing food and the best wine list I have seen outside of restaurants in Rome- amazing. If you are staying the night or passing through then I would highly recommend to book into the restaurant for dinner.

Room Tip: Rooms are a little tired if staying in the main house.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My mother and her sister and my cousin and I decided to have a luxury few days away a few weeks ago. After much deliberation we chose Redcoats, although after booking and reading some very mixed reviews I must admit to having some concerns. Initially I was very disappointed to learn via the website that we would not be able to eat in the restaurant during our stay because it was already booked out. A brief phone call by my cousin to the hotel soon resolved that problem and from that time forth all my concerns turned out to be unfounded. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and our room overlooking the garden was extremely clean and comfortable. Being a real foodie I was really impressed not only with the wonderful meals, but with other little things such as the plunger coffee in the rooms, the wonderful Teapigs tea served as part of the extensive breakfast menu, the innovative food available for vegetarians, half portions of fantastic desserts especially the rosewater ice-cream which was "to die for" and the amazing outlook of the restaurant itself. My only suggestion for improvement would be a little more training for inexperienced waiting staff. Many thanks for the memorable stay on my trip from Oz.

Room Tip: The room we had was by a staircase but overlooking the garden and had two single beds and had far be...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Unique is off overused. However Redcoats is just that. Unique. Local produce is complemented by super wines at reasonable prices. Walk in to the bar and immediately one relaxes. Adnams bitter from the Wood is the finest pint you'll experience this side of Southwold. The rooms are well appointed comfortable and individual. Go and pay them a visit. You'll not be disappointed.

Room Tip: In the main house overlooking the lawn is lovely.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
North Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for two nights. Probably the worst nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel. I understand the need in business to generate revenue from all parts of your establishment but I was kept awake until midnight by noise from diners and then woken at at 6.30am by the restaurant being set up. One of my key criteria for a hotel, as I am working the next day is to sleep well and this was not the case here. If you are away for leisure it may not be as big a problem as it was for me.
My room was very oldy worldy which I would expect as this is an old building. However my two pet hates in the room were encountered: blankets not a duvet and shampoo and shower gel in containers attached to the bathroom wall. Again some of this will be down to cost and my personal likes/dislikes but this is not for me.
On the plus side the property is easy to find and everyone I spoke to was very pleasant, friendly and helpful. But would I stay here again? I am afraid that is a no.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

I received a warm welcome at check in and my luggage was carried up to my room. I had room 6 which was generally in a good condition. It was a shame there was no bath. The food in the restaurant was of good quality. I had e menu price fixe which costs £30 for three courses. All was fine apart from the dessert. I ordered vanilla creme brûlée with lavender ice cream, lavender shortbread and crystallised violets. What I received was creme brûlée, lavender shortbread, a quenelle of clotted cream and raspberry coulis. If the dessert was not as listed on the menu, I really should have been told- especially about the lack of lavender ice cream,as this was why I had ordered this particular dessert.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Redcoats Farmhouse Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!