“Go somewhere else.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Wallett's Court Hotel

You added Wallett's Court Hotel to your Saves list
Wallett's Court Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Westcliffe, St Margaret's at Cliffe, Dover CT15 6EW, England   |
Toenisvorst, Germany
“Go somewhere else.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed in this hotel some 10 years ago and had good memories of a nice english country hotel.
However my last stay was very disappointing. At 190 pounds for a double room one could expect a lot better. The first room was damp and smelt very funny, so we changed the room. The next room was clean but the bed was very small for a double and the mattress was poor, so my wife and I had a very bead night. We would not wantr to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This was our second trip to Wallet's Court Hotel as our first visit 2yrs ago was lovely so we expected the same this time around, unfortunately this wasn't the case.
Our visit break started off fine, and we had a wonderful afternoon tea in the lounge and were served by a very accommodating young lady who was polite and helpful, after this she must have finished her shift as from then onwards we had nothing but rude miserable staff who made it all to obvious that it was putting them out having to serve us!! Myself and my husband waited for a good 15 minutes in the bar/lounge with no one about my husband popped out to ask a staff member if we could order some drinks which he got a huffy rude what did you want?!
We were hoping this would be a one off and got ready for our evening meal, there was little choice on the extravagant menu to choose from & we had a feeling from reading what was available to order these over priced meals were going to leave us feeling hungry! The starters were lacking in flavour, & the mains were lacking in size, great shame as the main meals of goats cheese ravioli and steak were tasty, but to have ONE piece of ravioli sat of some salad leaves i feel is'nt acceptable, especially for couples who have been travelling for miles and looking forward to a wholesome meal! The whole atmosphere in the dining area was quiet & awkward! Though the young waiter was very polite & the passion fruit souffle was very good.
After our 'meal' we sat back in the lounge, ordered some coffee which took 15mins to arrive. We were unable to make our spa treatment the following morning due to a family emergency so my husband informed a staff member who was less than sympathetic and said we would have to pay the full amount, this would be fine had we have had any email or booking form with this stated how ever at time of booking treatments nothing was forwarded onto us, after he had said this she agreed to try to contact the therapist to see what would be done. She then left us waiting about so we had to chase her again for a response to which she she gave in and agreed to just apply the 30 cancellation fee, why she couldn't have done this in the first place is anyone's guess!
Our 4 poster bedded room was lovely, just a great shame that it is directly above the reception desk and we had to listen to her telling her colleagues all about films she had watched, you can literally hear people as if they are in the same room!
To finally top it off as we left early to check out we didn't even get a goodbye from the lady on the desk. Overall a really bad experience & we can safely say we will not be returning!

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My family recently bought me a Spa Day voucher as a birthday gift. The experience was extremely disappointing from many points of view. Trying to be positive, I can say that my 2 course lunch was excellent, delicious, fresh, good flavours, good presentation; and the 2 therapists I saw were absolutely fine, Ben in particular being a very good masseur. However, the facilities, which one is entitled to use for the duration of the spa day, were cramped & grubby, definitely overdue for an overhaul. The pool is tiny, 1.1 metres deep, and realistically once 2 people are swimming in it, there's no room for anyone else. Since locals have taken out memberships to come here, there is a steady stream of people coming in, so precious little space for anyone else. Talking about space, despite the wonderful descriptions of Walletts Court on their website, the rooms and buildings available for this kind of experience are far from spacious. Apart from a few sun loungers and a wooden table and chairs outside the pool building, there isn't really anywhere suitable for a client now in bathrobe to relax between treatments without feeling conspicuous in front of all the fully-dressed members of the public who are coming and going. I wondered where Spa Day guests were supposed to retreat to in the event of bad weather, because undressed as I was, lounging in the bar/reception didn't appeal. Two lady staff members in Reception were well-intentioned but somewhat overworked - my lunch, ordered in advance and booked for 12.30, arrived at 12.45, as these two ladies rushed around serving lunches to the public who were sitting around and nearby. My booking for a treatment, made by me over the phone in advance, having advised that this would be a Spa Day,turned out at check-in to be incomplete. I was entitled to 2 treatments, not just 1, but by then, the female therapist was fully booked so a quick-fix had to be made to give me another treatment, but with Ben. Ben was charming, but I would have appreciated choosing my treatments ahead of time to suit myself. It appeared I should have been given an explanatory brochure along with my Spa Day voucher, but that hadn't happened. I asked for a brochure over my lunch, but none were available - apparently a new batch from the printers was awaited. The other facilities comprised a sauna & steam room about which I can't comment, since I don't use either - they simply send my blood pressure up and I feel unwell. However there is a gym. I hadn't been shown the gym, so had to ask as to where it was. Having found it, I found another hut (the therapists operate from 2 huts in the grounds), crammed - and I mean crammed - with equipment. This place was tiny. Someone was already inside. I felt one more body in there would be one too many, so skipped the experience. Back in the pool area, there was a jacuzzi pool, but having seen the changing facilities - communal, only enough space for about 3 women to strip, a toilet with broken door and a workman lounging directly outside waiting to get in to fix it, and one very basic shower with water on a push-button timer - I felt so dispirited I gave up. The murky windows were all marked with dried-on condensation, and the whole place was depressing. Ah well, I thought. According to the website, Walletts boasts 7 acres of landscaped gardens. I can at least go on a beautiful walk. Erm, no. In fact, there isn't a lot of land left to walk on, what with the original hotel building, plus the other outbuildings, plus all the huts. There really isn't a regular path system, the land behind the hotel (who wants to walk about in a waffle-robe at the front in full view of the road and incoming public) is left as rough grassland, and actually looks in some areas quite tatty. The glamping tent looked horrendous. So I really can't recommend this place for Spa Days at all. It might be fabulous to stay in as a hotel - take your chance, folks. But I won't be going back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Buckinghamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

What a perfect place. 5 star dining and very comfortable outdoors accommodation. Service and staff were impeccable.The breakfast sausages and bacon were the best I have ever had. The staff could not do enough and evening menu was so intersting and different I coudl have had many dishes of local sourced food. Hope to go back in the winter to enjoy the open fires.

Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel location and grounds are great and the girls are fantastic, nothing is too much trouble.

We stayed for two nights and had a family meal for 11 people to celebrate a family 80th birthday. Initially we were told to order our food three weeks before we arrived but after numerous telephone calls the hotel agreed to let us choose from the menu on the evening. Two weeks before arriving I asked what the catch of the day was, it was salmon, exactly as the catch of the day would be in two weeks time!!!
The food was served and 5 meals had to be returned due to the poor quality of the steaks. To be fair they changed these without question. The wine list was adequate although quite pricey.
Breakfast was good although a limited choice.

Our room ,number 8, was quite nice although there was a mould around the bathroom ceiling, the bathroom was very small.

We chose this hotel partly from it's web site, which with hindsight, is a little misleading.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Romford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a two night mid week break from Social living. com
Our standard room was quite small in the eaves of an old building and had a modern if tired bathroom in which the base of the shower cabinet was cracked
We took full advantage of the gym, sauna, jacuzzi, steam room and pool and had a relaxing time
Dinner was excellent all three course were amazing
The only down side was the lack of toiletries in the bathroom, just one small and used bottle of shower gel for both of us for two nights and the room had cobwebs complete with spiders on the ceiling and our full English breakfast only had half a mushroom on the plate
The staff were excellent nothing was much trouble fot them
A nice place for a relaxing break

• Stayed August 2013
Rockwall, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We spent one night here. The staff there are so nice and gracious. The hotel is beautiful! The food was excellent. We stayed in the Stable room. Breakfast was included in price. They also served dinner the night before and prices were reasonable. If you want to stay where it is quiet and away from the hustle of city life this is a great choice. Taxis into town was reasonable too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wallett's Court Hotel? Share your experiences!