“Superb Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Radstone Hotel

You added Radstone Hotel to your Saves list
Radstone Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ayr Rd,, Larkhall ML9 2TZ, Scotland (Formerly Shawlands Park Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Larkhall
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Superb Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Spent 1 night at this hotel. One word 'Superb'. Staff were very attentive. Check in was speedy and the room was excellent. Later we had a lovely meal in the restaurant and a superb breakfast the following morning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Larkhall, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

With two visitors from England decided to try Shawlands. Did not realise the restaurant closed at 9.30(my fault for not checking) any way we had booked for 8.30. Maybe about six tables occupied, but absolutely no atmosphere at all very hushed. Music eventually turned on low. Food, first course so so, main course served on COLD plates, 3 steaks and a monkfish soso
sweets were really good. Young waitress was fantastic could not have been any more helpful. Fancied a nightcap but had to have this in the foyer no background music or atmosphere. Beautiful restaurant but something missing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dundee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

After witnessing the extensive renovations that have taken place over the last several years we decided to recommend this hotel to friends when they came to visit. What an embarrassing mistake that was. Upon arrival they checked in and proceeded to their room at the other end of the hotel. Upon arrival at "their" room they discovered it neither had a carpet, bathroom or any beds and was instead filled with dust sheets and paint cans. Spotting the obvious mistake they returned to reception and made them aware of the problem. The reception staff where unapologetic and struggled to find another available room. After sometime they offered our friends the only room they could find which came with a complimentary downgrade from what they had booked.

Following what can only be described as the worst check-in experience possible the problems did not end:
Service at breakfast was awful. You had to follow the waiter with your coffee cup a if you wanted coffee and the room was not serviced on the saturday until after their return at 4pm.

When I arrived at the hotel to pick our friends up I took the opportunity to speak to the duty manager but she was unapologetic and was more concerned with blaming a new staff member and their online booking system than trying to salvage their reputation. After a 20 minute discussion the only "good will" gesture they would offer was a free upgrade on a return visit.....I don't think that will be happening.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Blackwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

After eating here several years ago and having a meal that so bad it was laughable I was apprehensive to go back to say the least. A friend had been several times and recommend that i go back and I'am glad I did. Food was well cooked, lovely presented and staff were pleasant and efficient. I had haggis neep and tatties served with a whiskey sauce. Very tasty dish. I picked the main course of chicken stroganoff from the "specials" menu. I thought the sauce was a little on the strong side taste wise but it certainly didn't spoil the meal. If this standard of food and service continues I will certainly return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Carluke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Having had lunch twice in the past 2 week can highly recommend staff very helpful and dinning room very impressive set up Had a few friends from Ireland and they all said they would use this place on the way up and down to the ferry as food excellent and great value for money . Also attended a wedding at this hotel and can honestly say what a great venue for this type of function .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Lanark, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

This has to be the most appaling meal, and treatment that my wife and I have ever experienced when eating out. Firstly small point my mother in laws rice with her curry was HARD, UNCOOKED, and COMPLETELY INEDABLE. This is a minor point. My wife asked for a medium rare steak, with Dianne sauce, the sauce was cold, the steak well done. She pointed this out to the Matre'D who took it to the kitchen, only to return to tell us we were wrong the steak was cooked properly. I am a trained chef with nine years experience in the food industry, my wife, whom I met when she was a waitress with eight years experience. We pointed out to the matre'd that we had this experience, he again went to the kitchen, this time he asked us how long we would like the steak cooked for. Not knowing the thickness of the steak, if it was griddle or pan cooked how it was stored or even its temperature prior to being cooked this was an impossible question to ask. As my wife pointed out if she had to explain to a (so called) chef how to cook a steak she wouldn't eat anything out of that kitchen. I at this point couldn't finish my dinner as the tatse left in my mouth by having to argue with a jumped up waiter was too bitter. I left to get my daughter to the car when my wife and mother in law went to pay. Again captain cuisine (yes that is sarcastic) argued that my wife was in the wrong over the steak that she had returned and refused to eat anything else from the cook. I think the chef from the muppets would do a better job. Please if driving by this shack, keep driving go elsewhere, cook for yourself go hungry. NEVER EAT HERE, I WILL NEVER CROSS THE DOOR AGAIN
Having said that the waitresses were nice, please someone else employ them

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Radstone Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
In response to your comments regarding your experience at the Shawlands Park Hotel, I would first of all like to extend my apologies, as you rightly say the situation regards the steak should not have happened. The manner in which this was dealt with was also not appropriate.
We are striving to improve our service and appreciate all feedback, with this in mind I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further please email me at rkyle@lochside-hotel.com
Robert Kyle, Hotel Owner
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I can only imagine that the people who have had a bad experience of this hotel went to it before it changed management. I stay there regularly when on business in Scotland and cannot fault the service or quality of food in the restaurant. It is a hotel I feel 'at home' in and the bedrooms are large and furnished to a very high standard - they have the largest tv's of any hotel room I have stayed in

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Radstone Hotel? Share your experiences!