“Great little B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Mash Tun

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aberlour
The Mash Tun
You added The Mash Tun to your Saves list
8 Broomfield Square | Speyside, Aberlour AB38 9QP, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Aberlour B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
portsmouth
“Great little B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Spent just the one night here recently and must say I can find little to criticise. Room was nice and cosy, bed and pillows comfortable, bathroom more than adequate although very tight, tea, coffee and mineral water provided. I decided to dine in the pub/restaurant and was not disappointed as the food was excellent! nice couple of local ales on and a decent choice of drams although I would say mostly speysiders and few aged or various cask finished examples to choose so maybe not for the whisky connoisseur. All the staff I encountered were very friendly and courteous and my stay was rounded off a very nice breakfast. Would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Blackwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

It's been a dream if mine to spend a few days in the heart of the whiskey trail. I was looking for a friendly place in the Speyside area with lots of charm. The moment I walked in the door of The Mash Tun, I knew that I had picked the perfect place. First, my room was nice and decorated in a quaint B&B style. The bathroom was very clean and somewhat modern, albeit a little small. There is a small TV with many channels, however, TV shouldn't be of importance in a place like this. My room had a view of the local church tower. The inn is located about 25 yards from the River Spey and two blocks from the main street that runs through town. The restaurant / whiskey bar was a special place. The staff led by Karen was so helpful and friendly, they couldn't do enough for me. Nicola was especially attentive and had good knowledge when it came to whiskey recommendations. They even gave me a few gifts before I left. My included breakfast was so delicious, as well as all my meals. If you are looking for a great whiskey selection, this is the place to come, especially if you want to have a Glenfarclas scotch. Just come here! This is a special place run by great people!!!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Canandaigua, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We spent two nights here while touring local scotch distilleries and had a wonderful time. The rooms were very comfortable--we had a lovely river view, the staff was friendly and accommodating , and the food was very good. I highly recommend this warm and welcoming place to anyone that is looking for an authentic stay. The pub is on the ground floor but it was never loud or bothersome, and there are rooms upstairs that are very comfortable and spacious.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hawick, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

We went at 5pm to have a meal after a tour at he nearby Aberlour distillery, the guide recommended the place and said we would not have an issue getting a table that early, later may be a problem. On arrival we were greeted with indifference and told they were fully booked, despite only one table being occupied. We decided to stay and try more whiskies, which we did but the staff had basically no knowledge about them. We left 90 minutes later, at that time only 2 tables had been occupied. It struck us that we could easily have eaten as many of their reservations were for 7pm or later. Won't be going back as you are not made welcome.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My family of 5 booked a table last night at The Mash Tun. We all had something different off the menu, each of us described the food as delicious! Good value, excellent choices in a warm cosy environment. Would definitely visit again, staff very welcoming.

• Stayed October 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stopped off in the Speyside area one evening on our way around Scotland. After a great distilleries walk in Dufftown we came to Aberlour for dinner. We were looking for a relaxed "inn" environment with a lively atmosphere and a decent menu and that's exactly what we got at The Mash Tun. They were fully booked but fortunately a couple were finishing early and the waitress kindly offered us their table. Service was efficient and friendly and the food was very tasty and great value. We'll definitely come back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was my second stay at the Mash Tun and we returned to Aberlour just to stay there. Our first stay a couple of years ago on an anniversary holiday was sublime. We enjoyed it so much we tailored our itinerary around staying at the Mash Tun once again.

Our second visit was as our first, excellent. The Glenlivet room was chosen both times just on the whim that one of my favorite whiskys is The Glenlivet, yet this room is charming and beautiful and the views across the Spey and a riverside park are truly beautiful! This room is a very nice place to spend time when the weather doesn't lend itself to outdoor activities.

The Bar and Restaraunt is also excellent and a really nice place to spend time. The food is exceptional and it is very apparent that they take pride in preparing first class food for their patrons. The plethora of whisky's in the bar is also a delight for a whisky lover. The breakfasts are also excellent and very well executed.

One of the things that makes the Mash Tun special is the staff. Absolutely everyone you come into contact with is extremely pleasant and clearly committed to making your experience as a guest a pleasant and special one.

I highly recommend the Mash Tun whether you are just in need of a place to stay in Aberlour or want to make this your base for a trip up the whisky trail.

Room Tip: The Glenlivet room is excellent but fellow travelers in the Glenfiddich room also speak very well of...