“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Worplesdon Place

You added Worplesdon Place to your Saves list
Worplesdon Place
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Perry Hill, Worplesdon, Guildford GU3 3RY, England (Formerly Premier Inn Guildford)   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Worplesdon
M
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I found staying at worplesdon was overall very nice. My room was comfortable and the few nights I spent in the hotel I was made to feel welcome. I had the chance to meet the manager Alex, who I found very friendly. I had to wait a while for my food the first night i arrived, which is when I got talking to Alex; he apologised for the wait and when my food did arrive I thought it was lovely! The area itself is very pleasant and would definately stop again if I was passing through.

• Stayed January 2014
Amac1red, General Manager at Worplesdon Place, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Guildford, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I read on their website that hotel had changed hands and been refurbished and that there was an offer on afternoon tea, two for the price of one. I booked for 3.00pm, another fiasco! When I arrived I had been booked for 2.00pm but not for tea! The waitress has been at the hotel a long time and was very pleasant but knew nothing about the offer, thought it had ended in November! She said she would honour the offer however, I asked for decaf tea, when it came it was green tea, my friend got her tea and then we waited about 45 minutes for our food to arrive! By this time the waitress was most embarrassed and told us there would be no charge at all. The place was empty, had not been internally refurbished and had no atmosphere. The tea when it came was reasonable although the salmon sandwiches were in white bread, the cheese was just grated and very dry, cucumber sandwich was just ok. Scones were lovely but not enough jam or cream and no butter, cakes were wonderful. No sugar bowl just sugar lumps in our saucer, I would not have been happy to have paid £12.50!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
I am very sorry to read of your experience and I take full responsibility for it. We should have ensured that the offer clearly stated to book in advance and it didnt.So Iam very sorry

Travelers are raving about these Worplesdon hotels

Godalming, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

we visited the worplesdon place for a quite family celebration and found it to be a very enjoyable experience, food was great , service was great and the view we had of the lake at our table was to die for with the black swans and ducks! the children loved them!

thank you very much!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for you review and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My family and I stayed in the hotel over Christmas and the New Year. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The meals we had in the hotel were very nice and good value for money. My husband and I welcomed in the New Year at the hotel, the staff working that night were excellent. The bedrooms are a good size and comfortable but the bathroom could do with a bit of an upgrade. The hotel grounds are lovely, it would be lovely to stay there in the summer.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
ewenred, Manager at Worplesdon Place, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for your comments they are very much welcomed
Ruthin, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This used to be a lovely place since the current owners took over in the summer of 2013 they have just let it go to waste whilst charging way too much for the accommodation. In 8 months they haven't put a lick of paint anywhere the rooms are filthy drab and still have the very old Premier inn curtains etc. the bar is filthy we had to point out stale food in the window sills and floors that had been there for days and the staff still didn't remove it. The floors are sticky New Year's Day at breakfast guests were ignored whilst there were two staff members just making coffee for them selves when approached and asked for some service there was no acknowledgement or apology. Guests had to clean there own tables breakfast was supposed to start at 8.30 we were informed the night before, in the morning a notice appeared saying breakfast would start at 9.30 the buffet items didn't appear till near 10.30 we had to ask twice for toast and this was finally served when we had finished breakfast by someone in outdoor clothing when another guest complained to the manager that she had had to wait almost 1 hr and no staff had come near her his apology was that he should have started breakfast at 10.30. The young staff have no idea of service and there is no management or organisation, they treat guests as if they are an inconvenience. The first day there we waited 40 minutes for some eggs and sausage and we were the only two customers in the whole place, and they want over £100 per night for dirty barely furnished rooms towel rail on the floor, smelly bathrooms empty soap dispensers on the walls, dirty shower curtains, peeling paint everywhere, curtains hanging off.. Whilst some staff do try very hard to oblige they have no training or guidance or leadership. The food is dreadful,

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
ewenred, Manager at Worplesdon Place, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
I have made a note of your comments and do accept some of them, when some one is late through no fault of their it does make things very difficult, hence my comment about starting Breakfast at 10.30.
I am disapointed you failed to notice that the outside of the Hotel has been painted at a substantial cost, we also have 10 rooms being fully refurbished at the moment and the downstairs is due a change early this year. The owner is investing it just takes time.
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We went for a group Xmas meal at Worplesdon place, however only decided to go there about 1hr before going having been put off by reviews. We were pleasantly surprised by lovely food (the risotto being drone as the chef "wasn't happy"), very polite staff and nice warm, all beit quiet, atmosphere. We will definitely go back - much improved on its former days.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
ewenred, Manager at Worplesdon Place, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I found myself suddenly needing to trek up to this hotel due to others being fully booked. Eventually it dawned on me that this was once a Premier Inn - I found it a little hard to believe as their hotels are usually so new and clean, but when you know what you’re looking for there are obvious signs: the colouring, carpets etc. The only problem is this is an old Premier Inn and one they seem to have jettisoned: perhaps it was badly affecting their brand image.

So that’s what it is: an old, somewhat shabby Premier Inn, okay for emergencies, but not somewhere I would choose in preference to the others, especially at £90 per night. I would rate it at maybe £40 per night, no more.

The bar area is quite nice and I found the food to be good. One problem, however, was the staff. The young barman was somewhat over-familiar: “pal”, “buddy”, “fella” and terms like that. Accompanying him were four young women who seemed to spend much of their time admiring themselves in the mirrors and simply gossiping. All of the staff spoke so loudly and consistently with each other about non-work matters that they were actually the loudest people in the bar, although they were the other side of it. I didn't really want that when I was just trying to relax for a short time, and it seemed to me the establishment was wasting its money by employing so many people when the place was otherwise quiet.

So the general impression I had was that this is something of a has-been place, with a nice bar but ruined by the unprofessionalism of the staff. Fine for emergencies, but nothing more than that. “Your mileage might vary”, as they say.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
ewenred, Manager at Worplesdon Place, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Your comments have been noted and are currently being looked into. Also Worplesdon has just recently finished a 25 year lease with Whitbread and come back into the Hands of the owner who is trying to make up for 25 years of no investment. We are currently having rooms refurbished and there will be some work in the Bar and Restaurant area as well. Our room prices are competitive for the area and we do flex them regularly and can be negotiated as well

Been to Worplesdon Place? Share your experiences!