“Unexpected delight” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Unexpected delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I took my wife here for our anniversary and we both tried the degustation menu. There were four courses, but each course had two different items to try... so really all up it was eight dishes. Of the eight, two were okay and the rest were fantastic as were the matching wines.

There were only two other diners the night we went (Tuesday night), but the quality of the food and service were still first rate. It doesn't look flash from the outside, but watching the sun set over a glass of wine (and the M1) has a certain ambience to it.

We've been here before, and if they keep serving up dishes this good we'll definitely keep coming back!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Queensland
“Highs and lows”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My friends and I had dinner recently at Focus By James and were left feeling quite disappointed. The dining experience looked promising when I received the best steak I have ever eaten. It was perfectly cooked and melt in your mouth. The two other mains (chicken breast & ravioli) were ok but nothing to rave about. We then ordered dessert with me wanting the white chocolate panna cotta and the other girls the baked chocolate tart and this is where things went dramatically downhill. We waited and waited and waited and waited. After about 40 minutes with no service or desserts one of the girls asked the wait staff about them. We were then informed that they had been forgotten and would we just like to cancel the order and get our one tea and one coffee for free. When my friend informed them that we would in fact still like our desserts the waitress said that the chocolate tart takes a long-time to make and would they like to order something else. I guess this means that they had sold out of the tart as I cannot see how it would take longer to plate up then the other desserts and it's unlikely that they make them from scratch. There was a large function on inside and they had all received desserts so my guess is they didn't have any left. So we ended up ordering the panna cotta, cheese cake mousse and coconut pudding. These all tasted fairly average so in hindsight we should have just cut our losses and forgotten about dessert. They were quite blasé about forgetting the desserts and I thought the offer of free tea and coffee was pretty pathetic. Although the steak was fantastic I will not be revisiting Focus by James or recommending it to anyone.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Loganholme Qld Australia
“Best restaurant in the local area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Always delicious food in a great atmosphere. James the owner makes a wonderful friendly but unobtrusive host. Great selection of wines. Menu changes seasonally so always something new to try. Nothing else like this in the local area as you would have to travel into the City to get anything to compare with this place. They also run cooking classes on Saturdays run by their Chef. I did the pasta course and really enjoyed it. Well worth the visit and guaranteed a lovely meal at a reasonable price.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Romantic Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Always have a lovely meal at Focus with my Man!
Food is great & lots of Ambience, we probably go there once a month for a relaxing time & of course excellent food plus James even get's in Guiness for my partner Bob!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane, Australia
“Nice to have somewhere like this south of Brisbane”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Brisbane's southern suburbs abound with a great choice of Asian and Indian restaurants but don't have a lot of a la carte restaurants of the genre of Focus on James. We were pleasantly surprised by the service, quaility of food and portion size, and reasonably priced wine list. Springwood is such a business and light-industry focused area, one might blink and miss the restaurant. We only found out about it via a coupon and were glad we did. I hope the restaurant and its diners can spread the word some more.

• Visited April 2013