“Best romantic getaway ever!!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |     |
Special Offer
Suite Sensataions
Kuwait City, Kuwait
“Best romantic getaway ever!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in an over water turtle villa it was wonderful we loved every moment. It was my husbands birthday and also our wedding anniversary so the hotel surprised us with a cake on his birthday and a romantic turndown in the villa on our anniversary. If you want to celebrate an anniversary let them know ;) we had a small problem on our last day since our flight was late at night and we wanted a late checkout but the hotel was already fully booked the manager kindly arranged us to stay at a day villa for the last few hours; which was perfect for us, to relax n shower before our flight. The only compliment was the prices; everything in the resort was too expensive....but looking back it was so worth it.

Room Tip: Over water villas are perfect for couples
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Graham K, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Alaa A,

Thank you for your review of Jumeirah Vittaveli, I am glad that you enjoyed your anniversary with us, and your husband's birthday too. Vittaveli is a special place for special occassions, well liked by couples as well as families and we take great pleasure in providing guests with memories that make their stay enjoyable

Running a luxury resort in an island location such as this is not easily achieved and entails a high cost. I do hope that although we do not pretend to offer low prices, that you found value in the experiences which we provided

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Jumeirah Vittaveli in the near future, do please contact us if we may be of any assistance with your future bookings

Jumierah Vittaveli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

It was our second visit for this great resort. I will still recommend this resort to my friends. Good doesn't meant perfect. I will try to be as neutral as possible in this review, and substantiate my comment with examples. If you find this is helpful, please give me a helpful vote which will encourage me to continue to share my experience.

Goods points:

1. Location

The convenience of a short speed boat trip from Male.

2. Excellent airport reception and check in

We were the only guests on our flight as we arrived around 10pm. We were taken to speed boat immediately at arrival, and altogether 5 or 6 staffs including the night manager welcomed us at the pier before taking us to the villa. A very good start indeed.

3. Excellent villa

Everything inside the villa was great. They added some sun care amenities for the ladies this time which turned out to be of superb qualities ( mostly made of natural ingredients).

We stayed at both water villa and beach villa before and they are both great. I personally prefer beach villa a bit more because there are more shade, and the pool is bigger. At the month we stayed which was the windy season, the sea is a bit rough. I do believe if during a calm day, the water villa will be great.

I stayed at sunset side last year and sunrise side this year. We were up at 5.30 to see sunrise. It was amazing. The beach was beautiful, the water was so calm, sunrise was stunning.

But at the sunrise side you are going to see Male and the trash island - from a great distance. It didn't bother us at all but if you prefer to see no modern facilities, go for the sunset side.

4. The continuous improvement attitude of the management

This year we have bicycle in each villa so we can have less reliance on the buggies, which is good. And for the beach villa they put plants to improve privacy but that also meant you can't see the beach when you are inside your villa. I think it's ok as they put your private sun beds outside the plant so that you can have a great lazy afternoon at the beach.

They said there is a pizza oven now. We have not tried it as we don't see pizza neither in the room service menu nor the Finesse restaurant.

5. House reef

We enjoyed snorkeling in the house reef. Just a short swim you will see beautiful coral and fishes. We saw a huge sea turtle this time!

The minus:

1. Some minor details on implementation.

For example the type of bicycle they used is not quite suitable for the road condition that is full of sand, and there are holes here and there. The bicycles are too tall for anyone shorter than 5 ft 6 and who are not cycling regularly. If you are not good at cycling be careful especially if you are staying at water villa.

2. Butler service is a hit and miss.

Yes they are not your personal butler so they are not always available. But because the check in orientation is so good that give people impression that it is personal but as they need to entertain so many different guests, it's difficult for them to please everyone. Also when your assigned butler is on leave the handover should have been done better.

3. Others

Generally speaking there are rooms for improvement for the service for this trip. For example we were not confirmed the time for check out and speed boat connection the night before, even though I asked our butler to check 3 times during our stay. The last request was made by me at 9pm the night before check out and the butler said he will get back to me in 2 minutes time but never called back. The next day morning when I asked at 9am they said we need to check out at 11am. But at 1030, while we are about to pack, they came and said they want our luggages as we should be ready 30 minutes before departure. Well we never received the departure letter so we don't know about this. We told the porter we needed sometime to pack but we were chased soon after we got started. Not a big deal, but some last minute stresses.

Other minor issue like they kept coming in to your villa for different things at different time, cleaning the pool, checking mini bar, etc. So do make sure you have your do not disturb sign on if you don't want to be disturbed. The last night they came for turn down service, it was at around 10pm, which I think it later than anyone should expect. Also they insisted to deliver a birthday cake for my wife, again at 10pm, even though I said we don't need one then - my wife birthday was the day before!

All in all, I think this is still a great resort and I still give it a 5 stars rating. Management is trying to improve I think that's important. Well it's Maldives and it's a holiday. For those who used to stay with 5 star hotels downtown during your business trips, you should tune down your expectation a bit and try to be more layback and relaxed.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Graham K, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Kelvin 3883,

Thank you for your review of Vittaveli on Trip Advisor, I am very glad that you enjoyed your second stay with us and that you see improvements from your last stay. I appreciate you taking the trouble to mention that you noticed that we keep new touches coming.

We have actually ordered medium sized bicycles, and they are soon to be delivered, together with some eco-friendly dynamo lights for evening use on the bikes. I have asked our team to look into how the butler service can be improved, as well as the procedures you outlined for departure, luggage pick up and general access to the Villa while occupied. All valid points as I am sure every guest would like to use our large and comfortable villas to the max without disturbance. Missing the delivery of your wife’s birthday is inexcusable and I do apologize for that mistake.

Rest assured we have taken on board your feedback and will use it to effect the necessary improvements. I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Jumeirah Vittaveli for your third stay in the near future. There will definitely be some new touches in the resort at that time...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This was our second stay with Jumeirah Vittaveli - and hopefully not our last!
The resort is a 25min speedboat ride away from the capital city Malé and the airport. We arrived at the resort in the morning which means that our villas have not yet been ready, which was no problem as we were first brought to the main restaurant Samsara for breakfast. All the staff there were very friendly and welcoming. To our surprise, our butler informed us that our villa would be ready by ten o'clock already! Very delighted, we were taken to our villa. There, the next surprise awaited us: our room was not only neatly cleaned and prepared, we also got a small tray with dates and nuts, chocolates and a fruit basket with Champagne. But the most beautiful we discovered, was the bed decoration, made by our villa attendant Sujau. Even though we arrived early in the morning, long before regular check-in time, during high season and everything... he still found time to give a special attention to our room by decorating the bed with all sorts of petals and leaves for a warm "Welcome back!".
During our stay we tried all three restaurants and enjoyed the different food they offer. Staff was always friendly and the food delicious. You should not miss the Maldivian night on Sunday night, which offers the guests in insight into Maldivian tradition, not only from the culinary side but also from the cultural perspective! Some more tips: You can get free snorkeling equipment at the dive center and at 5:30 pm every day, there is a fish feeding happening close to the Spa area where lots of manta rays are coming.
Thank you Vittaveli Team for this fabulous holiday, we hope to be back soon!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Graham K, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Scneeeflocke,

Thank you very much for your review of Jumeirah Vittaveli, I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt well taken care of by our colleagues. The short speedboat ride from the airport, the pool in every villa and healthy house reef are all attractions which regular guests tell us keeps them coming back

I will see that Sujau in particular is thanked for his part in making you feel special, as apart from the above “features” it is the colleagues which really make the difference to your holiday. We regularly discuss the names of colleagues singled out for praise by guests at our “Town Hall meetings” where those individuals are thanked in person. Your mention of them is great encouragement

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back as soon as your schedule allows, and look forward to showing you some new touches around the resort, which we are always developing

Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

This was our first family holiday with our two small children, aged 19m and 3 yrs. Location couldn't be easier as a short 20 minute boat ride from the baggage hall. The beach villa (sunrise side) was perfect and individual pool huge - fantastic for the 3 yr old. The staff everywhere were super friendly, particularly at the kid's club. We were at first reluctant to leave the children there but staff there (Larry, Sami) became a huge hit quickly, even with our youngest. Other highlights included a huge surprise birthday cake, the spa and the beach. Only thing I would not recommend is the diving - dive centre staff couldn't have been more friendly and professional but this island's marine life is a shadow of other islands I have visited. In summary, our eldest still talks about it and plans flights back most nights. Thank you!

Room Tip: Beach villas were ideal if have kids.
Dear S P G,

Thank you for your review of Vittaveli, I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and found the resort well suited to a family with two young children. The proximity to Male, a pool in every villa and the large Kid’s Club are usually great attractions that convince clients to book with us.

Facilities alone are not enough though and it is the colleagues which make a difference and help to provide Magical Maldivian Moments. I will certainly pass on your compliments to our colleagues at Kid’s Club and the Dive Centre.

As for the marine life of the island, you seem to be very experienced and blessed with having seen some wonderful marine life in past visits or other destinations – so I cannot comment other than (as a new diver) tell you what I have seen personally, our dive instructors have taken me to a coral cave within 200 yards of the island to show me nurse sharks, 2 – 4 meters in length, asleep.

I have also seen turtles, reef sharks, octopus, lion fish, sting rays (of course), eels, clown fish, Napoleon Fish, Giant Groupers – and am a bit shy to say I have only been diving five times. Perhaps that means there is even more out there for me to discover.

We rarely see Mantas here, but I have even seen a few of those at Vittaveli in certain seasons....

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Vittaveli

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

We travelled to this resort 2 weeks ago as a family of 4 and we will never return.

Reasons became apparent from the start
1. We arrived at Male airport with 2 small children -aged 2 and 3 yrs. They were exhausted after a long day of travelling. We were then told we would have to wait at burger king!!!!! at the airport for 45 mins for the boat to arrive!
2. There was a mix up with our room, I do believe now that it was the travel agent at fault however before we knew this management were completely unhelpful and unsympathetic. When I asked to speak to management the general manager told us he would catch up with us at dinner that night!!!!!!!!! Which he then didn't.
3. We had a completely uninspiring butler attached to the room who never smiled.
4. The resort has been landscaped poorly with unattractive buildings and way too much concrete.
5. Public toilets were always dirty.
6. Our room was never cleaned properly- we had to call to ask the bath to be cleaned.
7. Dirty towels were left strewn around the main pool all day.
8. On our last day we asked for a slightly later check up to allow our kids to sleep over lunch prior to getting on a long flight. This proved to be a hassle to achieve. It was then ignored as we had the pool guys come and clean the pool while we were still there. This was even before the 12pm normal check out time. We were all trying to shower and get ready in an open air bathroom with strangers in a 10ft vicinity. We asked them to leave, they didn't.
9. Our in room films didn't work.
10. We received a list of daily activities that took place at the kids club. My children never did any of these. From what I experienced the kids club consisted mainly of watching tele.
11. Wine on the wine list was not available.
12. On the first night there was loud music till 2am in the morning and my children were unable to sleep.
I relayed all my frustrations to the general manager who failed to do anything.

We have stayed in the maldives many times but we have never experienced such disappointment from what is supposedly a 5 star hotel. Never again. There were other issues but I think I have written enough.
The only staff that were nice were the 2 guys in the kids club.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Graham K, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear julieb,

Thank you for your review of Jumeirah Vittaveli. First of all, my sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your stay at our resort – it is certainly never our intention to disappoint, but rather to delight our valued guests.

Allow me to respond to the points which you raised individually:

The resort you stayed at prior to Vittaveli sent you to the airport sooner than expected and we arranged the closest speedboat available to get you to the resort. We are now fitting out a purpose built arrival lounge at the airport which will soon be of great help in making our arriving guests more comfortable.

Apologies that I missed you at dinner on your first evening; I recall seeking and finding you on your way to your villa, at which point your children were tired and you did not want to speak further.

The Villa category which was booked by your agent was the same as that given on arrival, I am sorry that you feel our reaction to you was unsympathetic –our Assistant Operations Manager offered you a move to a villa on the sunset side of the island, which due to high occupancy was only possible at 10 pm on your arrival day. We offered this regardless of what you had booked with the travel agent as a complimentary upgrade. I recall meeting you the morning following your arrival and suggesting that you see that option. You were shown the sunset villa that day and offered a room move by 2:30 pm that day, however you chose to remain in your original villa on the sunrise side of the island.

I have raised the comments which you made on the butler assigned to you with the relevant section head and we will be conducting further training to improve. We have also requested Housekeeping Managers to monitor any public areas or facilities more closely, especially during peak usage times

I beg to differ with your views on the landscaping of the resort and assure you that the minimal amount of concrete used anywhere is absolutely necessary for various reasons. The look and feel of the resort is something we are very concerned about, always working on and regular guests tell us that it gets better every year. Should you have any particular suggestions for areas that you think we should improve, do please let me know as I take a personal interest in the gardening and landscaping of the resort

I was not in the resort on your last couple of days with us but understand that you did actually remain in the villa until 1:45 pm for a 2:00 pm departure on your last day. I am not sure what you mean by “hassle” in achieving this, and if that last couple of hours was interrupted by pool cleaners, my humble apologies, we will ensure a different procedure is followed in the future.
I do have records that our Housekeeping Attendants were asked to remove leaves from your outdoor bathtub, however no trace of any record expressing your disappointment in any other aspect of the Villa cleaning service. If you could kindly offer more details of areas that we should improve that would be most appreciated. My e mail address is graham.kiy@jumeirah.com

We offer 320 wines on our list - I apologize that the Argentinian Malbec was out of stock during your visit. I am assured by our restaurant team that a suitable alternative was offered with a similar price and I have ensured that our wine list is now updated and re-printed with a new addition to replace the out of stock item

Our Kid’s Club offers a variety of activities to children of all ages – but sometimes little ones don’t want to do exactly what we offer. We keep records of activities offered as well as which children participated and which did not. Six months ago, we extended the opening hours of our Kid’s Club to 9 pm and put on a daily film from 7 pm. Any children over the age of 4 may join and watch these films under the supervision of our colleagues, while their parents enjoy a quiet dinner. This complimentary service has proved popular so far and you might have the impression that we do this all day long. Rest assured that watching television is our “default activity” at the Kid’s Club

I understand that no amount of explanation will change the fact that you feel disappointed; our intention is to provide our guests with memorable holiday experiences that they will cherish, and ultimately to encourage those guests to return to stay with us again in the future.

My sincere apologies that we have not met your expectations, and thank you again for your feedback. We will use it to achieve improvements in the areas you have highlighted

Hangzhou, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

just came back from JV for a 6 days holiday, i will not bother to write a review because of a surprise we had(will talk about later). but since i did decide to spend 20 mins on this review, i will do a through one so it can help others to choose a resort in maldives. I think i will give it 4.5 if tripadvisor give me this choice.

pro:

if you are like me who is heavily sea sick, you will certainly not like a sea plane drifting in the middle of the sea. so you don't have a lot of choice if you want to choose a tie 1 resort in maldives, so we chose JV, which is a 20 min boat from airport.

Jv is also one of the few resort who has a pool for every villa, it is very important if you are traveling with young kids.

snorkeling, very good. when we live in a beach house, we have seen stingy ray, eel, sea turtle, star fish, all in the open water.

late checkout, they have a late checkout service, which for $475, you can checkout before your flight, which we found is useful since our flight is 9pm.

i don't need to say room is clean, service is good, that shall be standard for all resort in maldives.

now Cons, breakfast it is not very interesting. for lunch and dinner, we mostly have room service, it is very difficult to reserve a table at normal hours. we tried to book dinner the next morning and we were told the italian restaurant is fully booked untill the day we leave and the grill bar is also reserved before 9:30pm through out our stay, except for one day, and that is the only dining out experience. the only possible choice is the all day restaurant, but since it serves the same food on the room service, we decide to eat in the villa. for the dinner we had at the grill bar, the food is just ok to be polite. i thought sea crab is king crab, or at least snow crab, it turns out it is the size of a plum, it is simply grilled and we do not know how to eat it with all the shell. the total bill is close to $500, and we did not order wine. please also note if you already paid for half board or full board, you need to reserve the table before you arrive, and you can not order the interesting part on the menu.

now the big surprise i talked about which initiated this review. i booked the resort through expedia, i booked 3 nights of beach villa, and 3 nights of water villa. however, the resort consider this two bookings, and on the eve of the third night, we got a letter asked us to pack and checkout at 12pm tomorrow and wait till 3pm to checkin again. this is devastating news to us, we have one small kid and one infant and we had a diving lesson which finishes at 11:30am. i called the front desk manager and explained the situation, he won't barge and even refused my request to checkout at 1pm. the reason is because all the rooms are fully booked tomorrow. well, i don't believe believe there is nothing you can do, at least you can send more people to clean the villa i will vacant and the villa i will move it so it won't take 3 hours each to do that. very puncture they are, at exactly 12 the door bell ran, and people come in to clean the room. with the help of our butler, we awkwardly finished packing by 12:30 with people around and went to the restaurant.

the question is will i visit again? i think i will, but i will stay out of dinner plan, i will not want to switch villa during the stay, and i won't stay for over 1 week.

Dear Xing0210,

Thank you for your review of Vittaveli, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, even if there were imperfections that we have to work on.

Many clients find our proximity to Male and the easy speedboat ride a reason for their choice of resorts. The fact that each Villa has a private pool and the quality of our house reef are also big attractions which clients often comment on.

I have looked carefully into your feedback on the day you moved from one villa to another and have changed a few procedures that will ensure guests moving villas will not be inconvenienced with a long wait. My apologies for that delay in getting you to from your original to your next villa.

We are planning new dining concepts this year which will offer a greater variety of cuisine to our clients, and we will release news of this in due course. Your comments on our restaurant menu choice and pricing are well noted and will be used to make some changes in that area.
If I may be of assistance to you in planning our return visit to Vittaveli please do let me know.

My e mail address is graham.kiy@jumeirah.com

My suggestion is that you book with us directly, if you do so, you will earn points on our Sirius Loyalty programme which you can redeem at other Jumeirah properties worldwide and the rate will be exactly the same as you see on other internet sites.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Vittaveli in the near future

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We spent 4 nights and three full days at this resort as a part of our honeymoon. The rooms are magnificent and very private. The staff is wonderfully friendly and you are immediately assigned your own "butler" to take care of your every need when you arrive. My husband is an avid diver, but I had never been before and wanted to try it. The staff was so wonderful and informative that we decided to go ahead and get me certified as an open diver while here. we completed 4 beautiful dives and my husband was able to dive with me throughout my certification process. It only took two days to complete and was a wonderful experience! Highly recommend! If you have a half board plan, your dinner at the Samsara buffet is included with your room rate and it is fabulous. We actually thought it was much better quality than the more expensive specialty restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Graham K, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Melissa,

Thank you very much for your review and for taking the time to share your experiences during your stay with us.

I am glad that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us and hope both you and your husband enjoyed the beautiful House reef and other diving locations. We would also like to congratulate you on completing your Open Water certificate.

I have shared your kind comments with our team and they are greatly encouraged to continue delighting our guests.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Vittaveli soon.

Jumeirah Vittaveli

Been to Jumeirah Vittaveli? Share your experiences!