“Very bad service! There are far better resorts worth visiting.” 1 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |     |
Special Offer
Summer Halfboard
Dubai
“Very bad service! There are far better resorts worth visiting.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was my third visit to the Maldives and I have stayed at the W resort and Conrad in my previous trips. Choosing a Jumeirah hotel made me put very high expectations as the name is 'supposedly' associated with luxury.

After a very tiring late night flight we arrive to the hotel for an early check-in. Our rooms were not ready and we were kept waiting for almost 2 hours! They kept asking us for passport copies, credit cards, etc. even though all that was sent to them by email days before our arrival. Also when complaining to the guy taking us to our room that we are tired and haven't slept much he told us that all their guests come in tired (excuse me what is that supposed to mean!)

We were so tired and frustrated for waiting all this time but we thought this might just be a small glitch and we will enjoy the rest of our stay. Unfortunately, that was the beginning of many shortfalls.

To start with, the area where the beach villas are located smell of diesel and when we complained about that they said the generator is located in that area hence the smell!

Plus, calling reception and getting an answer will be a miracle! You have to go there yourself to request whatever you need because they never pick up the phone!

The restaurants and their staff.
- We would book a table in advance and yet when we arrive nothing is ready we're always kept waiting.
- Too many ants on the table (a simple wipe with a wet towel before guests arrive would solve the issue!).
- Waiting for food to arrive is such a torture, it would take minimum 45 mins to 1 hour for it to arrive.
- Staff is not well trained. When seated, you have to ask for the menu or else you don't get it. Same for the drinks!
- We were once asked to place our order for our dinner at MU bar & grill right after we had lunch so they can have everything prepared once we're there. When we arrived it started raining and I very much appreciate the team's effort at relocating our table but all the food came in almost raw! It was verrry disappointing. In addition, the main course came in in shared plates rather than an individual order! The steak was also stacked all in one plate! The next day we were also asked to choose our dinner menu right after breakfast but we just canceled the reservation at the restaurant as the previous day was already a disaster.
- There were days where orange juice wasn't available! That is like water how can it not be available! Also lettuce, when we asked for salads we would be informed that they can't offer us that since lettuce is not available in the hotel today. I have never been to a hotel (and i'm a frequent traveler) that said orange juice or lettuce wasn't available.

Housekeeping is another issue!
- There's no "do not disturb" sign, so they keep barging in the room (thank god there's a lock though to keep them out!)
- When asked for the room to be cleaned housekeeping would come in many hours later (once though they broke the record and came in after one hour! usually i'd wait 4 to 6 hours).
- Housekeeping doesn't do any cleaning! All they do is replace the towels. Used coffee/tea cups from the mini bar was kept uncleaned till the day we checked out!
- We left a finished food tray in front of our room once, the housekeeping guy came in after 4 hours of requesting him and I asked him off since I already cleaned the room myself! and yet he didn't pick up the food that was left outside.

For every incident above we were promised a better service next time and yet we didn't see anything. There's always an excuse and the main one being that the hotel is less than a year old! If that is an excuse why let me pay such a high amount of money for such a bad service! No one did anything to change our experience to the better. The manager told us to come in next month and see the improvement in service rather than do something about it NOW. Thank you but i've wasted enough money already!

I regret choosing this hotel and I would never go back, not this hotel not any other Jumeirah hotel!

The only thing my family enjoyed is the kids club, beach, the water activities, and the beautiful coral reefs (besides the kids club, everything else was just nature where the hotel didn't have anything to do with it). However, all that you can find in other resorts with far more better service and value for money!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Gisele C, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear AlanoodBM,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I am truelly very disappointed to read of your experiences. I will contact you direct as a follow up , however, I would like to assure you that this is not the usual level of service that we provide.

From your comments I believe that you were travelling with the reviewer who posted the previous comments as I know that you were travelling as part of a large family that had several rooms. Please rest assured that I will be following up on the feedback that you have given and addressing with those concerned .The experience that you have had is not a true reflection of the usual high level of service that we provide and the reason why some members of your party ,who had stayed in the resort already this year , recommended the resort and chose to return.

The resort was running at full occupancy over the Eid period and whilst this does not excuse the service that you received, it does have an impact, particularly as the weather was not so good.

Where possible we do everything we can to ensure guests get to their villas as soon as feasible, as we appreciate that you are tired and need to recover from your journey . We were able to get the majority of your rooms ready for your arrival early in the morning but due to the number of rooms required for your family unfortunately it wasn't possible for all rooms to be ready so early in the day.

Your feedback on food and beverage has been shared with the team. For large parties such as yourselves we do recommend choosing a menu in advance as opposed to a la carte so that we can provide a smoother service. In Mu the chef did a family style service as it is a rustic open air restaurant on the beach.The grilled dishes can then be shared between with the family members as there is alot of food to choose from and they can then pick what they would like to eat and this usually is received well by other guests . I understand that both the steaks and the seafood were not cooked to your liking and you requested them to be cooked further. I apologise that these were not to your liking in the first instance and the heavy rain and wind that we experienced that night delayed service with the restaurant being outdoor.
Occasionally we do have supply issues as most items in the resort are flown or shipped in , and as you will appreciate we are a small island so occasionally may run out of a certain items, however ,we always have other alternatives, although I am not aware of a shortage of oranges over the Eid weekend. . In terms of juices we have a good selection of both fruit and vegetable juices, all of which are squeezed to order. Lettuce we also have a variety and are also soon to start growning our own.

Thank you for sharing your feedback on housekeeping and this is most valuable and please rest assured that this will be addressed as this is not our standard and there are no excuses

I will contact you directly for further followup and I do hope that you will reconsider returning to Maldives and Jumeirah Vittaveli in the future so that next time you remember us for the right reasons

Best regards

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

It's over rated , very bad service !!
I wasted my holiday by coming here.
It takes more then one hour to serve us the food, and when we ordered seafood it was uncooked!
Unprofessional waiters.
Guess what!! ants in the restaurant.
Apparently It's 5 stars but they don't have "don't disturb sign" House keeping barge in uninvited
Unprofessional Customer service.
Untrained employee.
I really regret the money I have spent.. I don't think I will be coming back to the maldives, this was my first time and after this unpleasant experience I don't think I want to come back.

The thing that got on our nerves is their unprofessional pointless excuses!

Also, when we reached the jetty we thought we will be going directly to our villa instead they took us to the reception to "check in" where we waited for an hour and not all of the rooms were ready

The only positive thing I must say was the kids club.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and I am very sorry that you were disappointed in your stay.

From your comments I believe that you were travelling together with the family this Eid weekend that also just posted a review.

Please rest assured that your feedback is taken very seriously and I will contact you direct for a follow up.

Best regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My new husband and I chose Jumeirah Vittaveli for our week-long honeymoon. Based on our research before arrival, we had very high expectations. We are pleased to say that Jumeirah exceeded these expectations in every aspect of our stay.

The setting was truly amazing, with postcard-perfect views in all directions. We stayed in a lagoon villa (sunset side) which was large and luxurious. Turtle 1 villa (right at the end of the pier), felt completely isolated and private, which was perfect for a honeymoon. The private pool was gorgeous, but snorkeling directly from the villa was even better! The marine life was abundant and beautiful. As buggies were readily available for transport, the distance of the villa from the rest of the island was not an issue at all.

We wanted for nothing during the stay, and the friendly, attentive staff worked hard to anticipate our every need and desire. They appeared to really enjoy and take pride in providing exceptional service We were attended to from the moment we stepped foot through the customs gate at the airport, up until we walked back in at the end of our trip. Our main buggy-driver Azzam even accompanied us to check in on his day off in Male!

The full board package allowed us to eat in all the restaurants (but not the bar) at meal times, though we did end up spending more than we expected in surcharges at both Mu Grill and Fenesse. The buffet and a la carte breakfast options were a highlight. The cocktails were great and surprisingly reasonably priced compared to bars in Australia. The private dining experience (including bottle of Moet) was decadent and beautiful.

During our stay, we used the Talise Spa (twice, because the couples massage was so good, we just had to go back), gym, kayaks, bar, shisha pipes and, of course, snorkeling equipment. Each experience was faultless and thoroughly enjoyable.

We highly recommend Jumeirah Vittaveli for a luxurious Maldives honeymoon experience.

Room Tip: The sunset lagoon villas have a better view than the sunrise side. 'Turtle 1' lagoon villa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gisele C, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Bangour,

Thank you so much for your recommendation and for taking your time to share your experience with other travellers and for such a glowing review.

I know that you were a little apprehensive in travelling having read some negative reviews on Tripdadvisor but I am so glad that you trusted us to look after you for an occasion as special as your honeymoon, and that we exceeded all your expectations.

I look forward to welcoming both you back and if there is anything I can do in the meantime, please let me know.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Maldives is a paradise. Once you set foot here, you will understand why everyone wishes to visit the place. Clear turquoise water, powdery white sand, marvelous beach, great sun, superb coral reef to explore.
Staying in Jumeirah vittaveli makes our vacation beyond perfect. Everything was impeccable from the moment we arrived. The staffs are so kind, helpful and attentive. Villas are amazing and very private. Beautifully designed and each bungalow has a great balcony with oceans views and has its own L shaped pool..I could walk out the backyard and be on the beach or look out the window to see the ocean and the sunrise too. I just loved it... everything mostly comes up to a very high standard. We enjoyed snorkeling and using the non motorized water sports. We love Bar EE,MU bar and Fenesse overwater restaurant.
If you really want a great holiday, I can’t recommend it enough.
The staff made our trip more memorable. I really must thank Butch, the manager of the kids club, who is very spontaneous and spent his free time with us and took us around the resort. Regina, the manager of Talise Spa,I just can’t forget the ginger honey juice that was served to us and yes it did help my cousin who has a motion sickness, thank you for that... Laura, the bubbly manager of Fenesse overwater restaurant. Oliver, who served our first meal in the resort at Bar EE. Ali who always fixed our villa twice a day, Kian who takes care of us before we left. The RM who personally meets the guests when we came off the speed boat. Everyone was just awesome.
Indeed, Jumeirah stays different.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Gisele C, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Spirtee,
thank you so much for sharing your experiences at Vittaveli and I am so glad that you had a perfect stay.
It is really most appreciated to get such glowing recommendations of not only the resort but also our team and I will most certainly pass on your thanks. The team really do make a difference
Thank you once again and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to our little patch of paradise when you next plan a trip back to Maldives.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at JUMEIRAH Vitavelli for good 8 days at beach villa and enjoyed every minute there. The beach villa was well designed with spacious bath area at the back. Loved the long timber stripped flooring which was kept miraculously sand free almost all the time to the credit of house keepers but on the flip side, I found the surface can be a bit slippery (dry). Bed & pillows were really comfortable even with our 3 year old snuggling in between.

In room, facilities were great with good selection of movies and music keeping the family entertained when we needed to stay off the mid afternoon sun. We thought the well stocked wine cooler was pretty neat too.

Marine life was rich and many variety swam pass right outside of our villa, great stuff. Staffs and some other guests claimed to have sigted dolphins but that I'm sure needs luck and timing.

We read some TripAdvisor reviews before the trip and was wary of the lack of selection at their buffet and restaurants. Not quite though! Both Finesse and Samsara were awesome with their seafood and local spice /curry varieties. We probably made the better choice of getting half board package that gave us the option between buffet and ala carte menu (which some travelers may have found pricy) at all restaurants during breakfast and dinner. If you are staying longer like we were, don't miss their Angus beef burger and spaghetti bolognaise...they are way better than most of good restaurants at home!

Now the best part of the stay goes to the services from staff. Gosh, they really make huge efforts to look after the guests. It's a truly warm experience.  Our 3 year old for some reason got too shy to speak to anyone and yet many staff have gone all out to humor her. Thank you Roshan, whom our daughter referred to as "uncle glasses" in private , offered peeled oranges and sliced rambutans for her delight. Jeffrey whom was incredibly attentive , always so caring. So did Rohaman, Nashid, Tingting, Laura, Gisele, Maduranga and many more outstanding individuals that made the difference. Thank you guys! .... Everyone seemed happy working at Jumeirah, hearing how excited they looked forward to field trips organized for them by the management. They have successfully translated that happiness to the guests at resort.

It's little warm gestures here and there that adds up to make the trip memorable, the experience unique and different from other resorts. We travel a fair bit and have been to Maldives 4 times staying in different 5 star resorts but this is definitely our best.

Highly recommended. It's a 6 star Experience!!

Things can do better : arrival debriefing and guest hotline can be more informative and personable.

Room Tip: Beach Villa
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Gisele C, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Wiggles,
Thank you so much for your wonderful 6 star review and I am very appreciative of such glowing feedback especially as you have good experience staying at many other resorts in Maldives. Praise from you, is praise indeed, thank you!
Very pleased to hear that you had a great stay and I will ensure that a special thanks is passed on to the team, especially 'uncle glasses'. We have a great resort, but you are quite right, it is the team that make the difference.
Thank you once again and I very much look forward to welcoming you back next time that you plan a trip to Maldives.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We spent 6 nights at the Jumeirah Vittaveli in September 2012. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, we were treated like royalty. The staff made our trip a memorable one - and we'd like to say a special thank you to: Arif, Jeffry, Saleem and Sajesh - all of whom looked after us so well for the duration of our trip. We stayed in one of the Lagoon Villas - a very large room, with private pool, over-looking the water. The food was generally of a good quality. We can't wait to return next year!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Gisele C, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear DataMonkey,

Thank you so much for taking the time post your review.I am so glad that you had a wonderful honeymoon and I will definately pass on your thanks to the team .

You only get one chance to go on honeymoon so it is important that all is perfect and that it is one that you remember. If you can't get treated like royalty when on honeymoon , when else can you!?!

Wishing you all the best for your future married life together and I look forward to seeing you again next year .

Geneva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

So returned again with the family to the beautiful Jumeirah resort...Nothing much more to add than what was written on the first review but just to highlight the incredible level of service (maybe because we were repeat costumers??)

So BA manages to lose our single luggage on the direct LGW-MLE flight, and their costumer service is pretty hopeless (although I have Gold Guest List status with them) so we were beginning to become desperate but still went on the island...

There Jumeirah had gone on a spending spree to provide swimsuits, polos, shirts, hats, suncreams and they managed to get all children equipment from I assume their staff...all of this for free..when obviously they had nothing to do about it.

When things go wrong is when you really see the difference in service and Jumeirah has beaten any other costumer service I have experienced so far...Bravo

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Gisele C, General Manager at Jumeirah Vittaveli, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear CK,

Thank you so much for taking the time once again to give your most valuable feedback. It means alot as I know that you travel alot and have had experience staying in alot of other resorts in Maldives. It is a real honour that you chose Vittaveli yet again this year for your family break.

The team all look forward to you coming, in particular your butler, Irshad, who I think has almost become part of your family.

With all our guests we strive to provide the best service possible so we were only too glad to assist when the airline lost your luggage. I know it is a horrible experience so it is the least we can do to help out.

Hope to see you again soon.

Gisele

Been to Jumeirah Vittaveli? Share your experiences!