“Superb Food, Excellent Local Wines!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Allison Park
“Superb Food, Excellent Local Wines!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

We have eaten in a lot of fine restaurants, East and West, but this was one of the best meals that we have had in years. After wine tasting in the area, we stopped at Boccanato Trattoria for what turned out to be a marvelous dinner-sized lunch.We sat down and the food starting coming. The four of us shared four appetizers, including a delicious duck dish and a risotto souffle, then shared two salads: watermelon radish and romaine pear, both excellent. After that we shared two servings of three delicious pastas. Deciding that we were almost full, we skipped the meat course and jumped to three fine desserts, gelato, chocolate tortino and walnut torta. Our wine was an excellent local Zinfandel (Cedarville Winery). Eating should be a pleasure and this meal was a very great pleasure.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Touronn
“Horrendously abysmal experience!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

My wife and I stopped by here on Valentines day on our way home from skiing. After we waited 1 hour just for our ($18) antipasto we waited an additional hour for our( $18 ) salad.
The server, who seldom stopped by, informed us that our pasta dish (which was a surprise) was coming out any minute. My wife and I had already been there for nearly THREE HOURS and hadn't progressed past salad so we asked for our check. The wait staff brought out our pasta and, tried to guilt trip us into eating it after we had already politely requested the check.
A short while later, the fat troll chef came to our table and postured himself aggressively while asking "Do we have a problem here"? At this point my wife was very embarrassed and we only wished to pay for what we had eaten and so we could be on our way. The Owner/Bouncer/Chef was still very pretentious and continued to insult us both.
This place is an overall horrendous experience, the food is so-so, the service is abysmal and the ownership borders on assault.
My wife and I were just trying to enjoy our first Valentines meal as a married couple and this is the treatment we received. AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COST!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Carmichael, California
“Worst Place I have Ever Had Lunch!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

$38 fotr a steak and $30 for salad and anti pasto is way to much for a lunch for one person was total $68. The food was not very good. The watiress needed to spend less time explaining what weabout to eat. Steak was stringy and cold and when I asked for a better cut of meat the staff became enraged. DO NOT EAT HERE!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Carmichael, California
“A heavenly experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

We stopped in by accident but it turned out to be a divine appointment. We had been wine tasting in the area and it was time for lunch. Since there are not many places to stop for lunch, I was glad to see a place to stop. We were not familiar with the place and the "no menu" idea but we were not in a hurry so went with the flow of Chef. By the time we were done with several courses, it was clear that the more plates you ordered with each course, the more you got to experience Chef's talents. We had 4 courses but never made it to his entrees but we were so happy and full, we did not care. Although, we did order dessert, which was heavenly too. I also asked Chef to pick out a wine to go with the food he was going to serve; as I expected, the wine and food enhanced eachother. We are going back ASAP.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego
“The Best Dining Experience EVER!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

I am a tough sell as I was raised by Italian parents and grandparents who know how to make the best of Italian meals ( and I have visited Italy twice) but I have to admit Giavonni takes the cake as my biggest hero. This guy is a real hardcore chef, perfecting his craft in Italy. No menu here. He cooks what he thinks you might like, so it is one surprise after another. It is beyond what can be conveyed in words as you will savor every bite that is put before you. Patience is a must since he makes everything from scratch for each table but it is worth the wait for the next course to be served. A treat like no other - JUST GO!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

If you own or manage Bocconato Trattoria, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.