“Exclusive Bush Experience at reasonable rates” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mjejane River Lodge

You added Mjejane River Lodge to your Saves list
Mjejane River Lodge
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   2km after Hectorspruit off the N4 | Traveling East towards Komatipoort, Hectorspruit 1330, South Africa   |
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Exclusive Bush Experience at reasonable rates”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We had a wonderful experience at Mjejane, with a private game viewing vehicle and guide. The private lodges that individuals and companies own are 6 star and the whole experience simply amazing. The exclusive seclusion with rare sightings of black rhino, leopard, lion etc and the location running along the crocodile river make this one of the most exclusive lodges and clubs to visit in SA. It is the only lodge with its own bridge into the Kruger park. The river drive of 10 plus km is a must. The rooms are all on suite and it is tranquil and peaceful. Although they claim to still be getting their meals in order i found the meals quite fine. The location is close to Maputo [45 min away] through the border post to visit the sea.

Room Tip: The drive along the river is a must, in summer take mozzi protection, i just used bug repellent.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My brother and I reserved a weekend at the lodge that included meals and two game rides. When we arrived, we had an "orientation" pf sorts. What they need is your release of liability. What was not communicated well how this lodge worked...meal times (9:00, 1:00, 7:00) - all variable, game rides at 5:30 am and 4:00 pm. We took a quick game ride at 4 pm....but saw only animals from far away. The driver stopped when he wanted and didn't seem to understand about the views those in the back would have. Doing this for years, I would expect more information about the area....I know he tried. Day 2 we decided not to stay on th Mjejane property but to drive ourselves through the Kruger Park. Wonderful!!! The lodge made us breakfast and lunch packs and a cooler of drinks. Apparently, you pay for drinks on Mjejane game drives and at meals. We were not charged for drinks in the cooler. When we returned for dinner, we didn't know we were to eat outside around a fire with all lodgers at one time...so we had to wait for folks to return from the lodge game drive to eat. It was odd. We had to keep clarifying that we would go on the morning Mjejane game drive but Simon kept adding confusing details trying to sell us a driver for Kruger. We finally said what we thought had been correct. He could have really messed up our next day. The rooms were comfortable, the showers were great and the view on the river was relaxing. We saw more animals at THE Kruger park rather than at the adjacent property of Mjejane but the rides around Mjejane made for a nice break for my brother who drove.

Room Tip: All lodge rooms seemed similar. We stayed in #3.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

The magnificent setting makes up for a lot. On the banks of the well-named Crocodile River as it runs through sandbanks and rocks, this Lodge is partway between the Crocodile Bridge and Malelane gates with just the river, and that is no obstacle for most animals, separating it from Kruger proper. With lawns running down almost to the water's edge you can watch the birds, crocodiles and occasional animals all day if you just wanted to sit there, or in the splash pool; apparently the day before we arrived (isn't it always!?) A female lion and a leopard had been seen drinking just across from the hotel. The wealth of tracks certainly indicate a well used access to the life-sustaining water.

It is a large private reserve, so your ‘free’ morning and evening game drives are limited to their own territory, nonetheless we saw plenty of wildlife and a private trip around Kruger is only about 30 km away. (As I am writing, a 4 m long crocodile slowly hauls itself out of the water and onto the sandbank-even the locals reckon this is a big one.)

I arranged a morning game walk with Jakob, and Jakob, two highly experienced trackers and guides and the ground level experience of having animal tracks and the ecosystem explained as we walk was one I am really pleased I took. Walking in the bush puts your attention on the ground - I realised later that on drives your attention is at eye level and maybe the reason I saw less birds than I expected was that my attention was generally not above eye level.

So much for the setting, now what about the facilities? Well, the physical stuff is fine-maybe three rather than four-star. When you first arrive you might like to remember that the lodge itself is a 7 to 8 km drive down a dirt track from the main N4 road. You will be asked to sign the usual indemnity (‘if an animal kills you it's not our fault’) not that the initial gated entry but at a second one a bit further along underneath the railway bridge. That was where the first little niggle happened-they seemed bemused that I did not know my room number and I had to repeat three times “I do not know because I have not yet checked in”. Maybe my Yorkshire accent is hard to understand, although others managed okay.
When I eventually reached the lodge (a few more signs might reassure and direct first-time visitors and ‘Way Out’ signs help people not to get lost as they leave-as I did) I was greeted with customary friendliness and shown to my large room shaded by trees with that spectacular view across the river-worth waking up for. The room itself was fine, OK bed, sofa, TV, wardrobe, small fridge etc and the bathroom was also good apart from the low showerhead-I am 1.93 m tall and the head had perhaps 1.8 m clearance from the back, so I had to stoop every time I showered.

This staff were plentiful and friendly (as they were everywhere I went) but in a real four-star venue I would only have one member of staff, not three on one occasion, after asking if I needed a morning cup of tea. I thought I made it very clear what night that I did not want an 05:30 wake-up call one day because I was not going on the 06:00 game drive-I was somewhat dischuffed to have two different calls, one just before and one just after six, the next morning asking if I was ready!

A request for a second bread roll with dinner one night needed a check with the chef before I was told they did not have any! A request for a wine list on my first night was met with “We have a bottle of red and let me see if we have any white”. I did not even ask on my second night but on my last night I noticed a few additional bottles of red and again asked what they had to offer. The response was as sad, for them, as it was in effective – “Do you want red or white?” “No, I want to see what you have to offer before I decide”. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing, during which just two of the eight or nine bottles on the shelf were brought down to me, I was finally offered a wine list on the basis that “If you have a look, I will tell you what I have”. I was rather pleased that my first choice was available as I don't think I could have contained my frustration much longer. To cap it all, when the bottle arrived at the table, it did so with a broken corkscrew and a request for me to help open it! By the way, it was a typical South African fruit driven mouth filling cabernet sauvignon.

It's the little things, like the removal of the chairs on my private patio to set breakfast on the lawn (which, by the way, was truly superb) that marks a place up or down. The range of choice available for meals should not be dependent on the number of guests in the place-the breakfast spread on my last day (clearly the one with the most occupants) was notably more extensive than earlier days.

As a hotel, this would be three star with two star service. The glorious setting pulls it up to 3 stars, but definitely not the advertised four.

Having just read what seems like a litany of complaints, I really need to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and hope you will too. Please do not be put off as these comments are offered for improvement, after which it might even make those claimed four stars!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Benoni
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We have timeshare at Mjejane and thought we would like to add on a night at the lodge. As a family of 4 with 2 children it was a bit of a squeeze into the room, but the plus here was that the children had real beds to sleep on! Not a sleeper couch to share like many other hotels. The room had an enormous shower and a victorian bath. twin beds adjacent with mosquito nets draped. Very colonial. Our room did not have a view, but considering we booked so late we can't complain! THe game drives were excellent. We saw many new things, incredible bird viewings, elephants so close that my camera couldn't autofocus on them. The ranger was very tolerant of the children and made a real effort to make it interesting for them as well. As a South African family we are well informed about the bushveld animals, but the ranger was so knowlegable that he literally blew our socks off with new and interesting information. Will definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Ask if there is availability for a view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
billericay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

Great time @ Mjejane River lodge, good location in the greater Kruger Park lots of Elephant,rhino,Buffalo and birds plus seven lions
comfortable rooms and very happy and helpful staff
excellent food at the lodge but the packed lunch failed to impress!
ask Jacques (The Puppy) about the morning rusks whilst out on the game drives
Willian is an excellent ranger very kind and knowledgeable
we was also able to arrange at the lodge for elephant back safari at another game reserve

Room Tip: all have river views but some are distant
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Stayed here on a Safari holiday with Saga. The location was excellent - overlooking the Crocodile River in the Kruger National Park. You can sit or lounge outside the Lodge and watch the animals come down to the river to drink (antelopes, elephants, hippos etc). Game drives taken within the grounds proved very fruitful always resulting in seeing several different species of animals and birds - and we saw more in our trips within the grounds than we did on a whole day drive through the main Kruger park. The staff could not have been more helpful. The rooms were large and the beds very large. They also provided unexpectedly good food - and plenty of it. The rangers were very knowledgeable. All in all, a great choice for a Safari base.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We just got back from a 2 night stay, lodge was clean and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I can strongly recommend the lodge to singles and couples, I have two young children, and there was not much for them to do in between game drives, but for a short stay it was fine.
I had mentioned I was a vegetarian and didnt really get any meals prepared for me, I ate the side salads offered with the meals.
Someone reviewed that they were robbed, our experience was the opposite..we left our video camera at dinner and it was brought to our room later that night.(we hadnt even noticed it was missing yet!).
Thank you to our ranger and friendly staff for a wonderful relaxing weekend!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Mjejane River Lodge? Share your experiences!