“Would have rather slept in a box on the side of the road” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bala Bay Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bala
Bala Bay Inn
You added Bala Bay Inn to your Saves list
3063 Muskoka Road, Hwy 169, Bala, Ontario P0C 1A0, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bala
A TripAdvisor Member
“Would have rather slept in a box on the side of the road”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2006

First of all, I am 23 and have lived in student housing for the last 4 years of my life so my standards are not that high. I stayed 1 night at the Bala Bay Inn a few years ago and it was the dirtiest most run down inn I have ever saw let alone stayed in. Maybe they have done some renovations since then, but trust me it needs a complete overhaul. Everything from the sheets to the TV was from the 70's. The room numbers on some of the doors was written in with marker. The hallway floor was very uneven and there was a huge gap under our door. I felt very unsafe as it would have been very easy for someone to break into our room and there was no phone in our room to call for help even if someone did. The sheets were mismatched, didn't fit the bed, and looked as though they were purchased at the Salvation Army. I didn't even attempt to shower as I wouldn't have felt any cleaner if I did. There is a fairly popular bar downstairs which we enjoyed and drank enough that we were able to sleep in our hole of a room, we also ended up scoring some free tickets to a concert at the kee to bala which is right nearby.
This Inn would do much better if they renovated all of the rooms to fit the era in which it was built, especially considering they try to sell you on its history. The lobby could be very nice with some minor fixing up.
This hotel was a total rip off. They should have been paying us to stay there. Luckily we had only booked for 1 night although I think I would have rather slept in a box on the side of the road.
The area is beautiful and Bala is a quaint little town if you're looking for something very low key. Camping somewhere in the area would be a good idea. Don't miss the Muskoka Winery where they have delicious blueberry/cranberry wine and there are some trails there that make for a nice hike and you can check out the cranberry fields.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)

Been to Bala Bay Inn? Share your experiences!