“An L.M. Montgomery must-see!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 12 things to do in Bala
Calgary, Canada
“An L.M. Montgomery must-see!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

This July my friend and I were in Bala, Ontario on holiday (just as L.M. Montgomery was in 1922 we later found out). We knew about Bala's Museum and, both being avid L.M. fans, this was our first destination. The lovely house museum did not disappoint. We had a fantastic time and spent 3 hours soaking in all of the wonderful L.M. artifacts and memorabilia. We dressed up, took photos and spent lots of money in the great gift shop. Linda and Jack Hutton (the owners and creators of the museum) were gracious hosts and true 'Kindred Spirits,' making our time there even more memorable. My friend and I returned to the museum later in the same week for July 24th, the annual celebration of Lucy Maud Montgomery's stay in Bala. - Also very fun! Prince Edward Island may be home to the town of Avonlea and the house Green Gables this museum in Bala, Ontario, captures "everything Anne!" Highly Recommend and can't wait to return.

Hamilton, Canada
“Wonderful experience!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I have always wanted to visit Bala's Museum and yesterday I finally had the chance. I was amazed by the collection of memorabilia it is nothing like I've seen before! Jack and Linda are so knowledgable and passionate about their work and L.M.M. We had so much fun taking pictures and re-enacting scenes from Anne of Green Gables.The gift shop is a delight in itself with many unique items and rare books for your collection. I will never forget this wonderful day. Thank you Jack and Linda! Do yourself a favour and experience this gem for yourself!!!

Toronto, Canada
“Surprise journey down literary lane with Anne of Green Gables in Muskoka cottage country”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

On a wonderful whim my brother, sister-in-law, 2 adult neighbour-friends and I took 4 girls ages 5,6,8 and 9 to the Bala museum after a birthday picnic in nearby Jaspen Park (with a beach and covered picnic area). Well, the highlight of our day was the time spent immersed in Anne of Green Gables artifacts and lore. The girls were familiar with Anne and her books by Lucy Maud Montgomery and knew that Lucy Maud had summered in Bala many years ago, but as we entered the charming building and the past, the girls were quickly dressed in period costumes, photographed in an ancient wagon, toured through a period-replica kitchen where they imitated the making of custard from the books and were treated to tales of the past and antics of Anne by an 'Anne-freckled" guide (who was absolutely delightful with the children), taken upstairs to rooms that could have been authentic movie sets for the Anne series where they wore Anne wigs and hats, fed and burped dolls, returned to the parlour where the ragtime master Jack Hutton played Happy Birthday on the piano and sang to Abby who was turning 9 the next day. Totally fun, unexpected and exciting! The girls (and the 'grannies') then had a mock tea party on the back verandah, after pretending to make ice cream in an old crank machine, while the men went to the back garden to look at the antique rowboat, which had actually been used in the movie. Needless to say, we were all reluctant to leave the 'world of Anne' so beautifully re-created and presented by such personable and friendly hosts. We all chattered away as we left, walked past the old wagon out front, and went back to the cottage to dip into the books again and even watch the DVD we purchased at the little gift shop in the museum.
What a great day! Can't wait to go back to the "Anne of Green Gables Look-alike Contest" later in the season. This is a hands-on museum like no other! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Auntie Bev

Guelph, Canada
“A "delightful" day spent!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Just visited the Bala museum last week with a church friend, my two sister & sister-in-law. I couldn't believe how "much" fun one could have visiting a "museum"! What an amazing afternoon we spent with Anne & Lucy Maud. The collection of memorabilia is so extensive , the dollhouse & furniture, the books & house itself will take you back in time. I would highly recommend a visit for children & adults alike. Anne remains "alive & well" in Bala !! Thanks for the experience.

Port Carling, Canada
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Having my grandchildren with me for a very special weekend, we decided to visit the Bala Museum. What a wonderful experience we had in store and what a collection of great pictures I now have to remember that day. The children were dressed in appropriate costumes and began their tour in the period kitchen with stories from Anne of Green Gables told with enthusiasm and panache. We were taken to numerous spots around the house and property; each stop meant another story of Anne. The well stocked gift shop rounded out the day. Wonderful for adults and children alike.

Visited August 2013