“Loving Bucerias” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lazaro Cardenas 150, Bucerias 63732, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bucerias
British Columbia, Canada
“Loving Bucerias”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

My husband and I stayed for 2 weeks in March, 2010. Here is my very comprehensive, (long!) honest review of our trip.

Resort:

Room: The room was very basic (we brought and left behind a cheap clock radio as there is not one in the room) but very clean. The air conditioner and outside noise (other guests, early morning work crews) was extensive but we wore ear-plugs so sleep wasn’t an issue. Bed was firm but comfy (king sized). The room was cleaned daily, and a polite note to the maid and 20-50 peso tip daily got us our two large bottles of water each day. We had a nice view of the adult pool from our room in block 5 – all the rooms seem to have balconies with some sort of view of the lovely, green grounds and pools.

Internet: There were just two computer terminals for rent. These were challenging to get used to (due to the configuration of the terminal itself and the keyboard) and difficult to get at - they were nearly always busy when we walked by. There is no wireless WiFi service, but we did see there were several internet cafe type places just down the street for those who might be interested.

Money: Our driver told us point-blank that Mexican workers would prefer to be tipped in Pesos! Canadian and American tips must be exchanged for Pesos, and as we all know, money is lost in the exchange. I was suprised with the number of Canadians who go and get American dollars to spend in Mexico! We had about 100 pesos left from our last trip, we took that to get us through the first hour in the country and quickly found a bank, where we withdrew pesos on our debit cards for a very nominal fee and excellent exchange rate.

Grounds: spotless and beautiful.

Beach: gorgeous, huge – you can literally walk all day in either direction. The waves were fun (we both lost a pair of sunglasses to the Pacific). The water is always churned up, so it appears “dirty”. I had heard rumours of “sea snakes” and unfortunately these are true! Our friends saw and took pictures of two, and my husband saw one. These seem to come in on the waves and slither out again. Apparently they may be an eel of sorts, but either way I didn’t hear of them being dangerous, but if you are petrified of snakes, as I am, you may want to beware!

Food: There are two large buffets and 5 a la carts (most of which are also buffets during the day). We ate breakfast every morning at the “Wok/Jap-Jap” restaurant just across from block 5. It was great – cereals, standard trough food, French toast, pancakes, waffles as well as a great fresh fruit bar and eggs (as you like them) station. By the way, bacon must be asked for at the egg station – my husband had a helping every morning and they never ran out as some previous reviews have said. For lunch we often returned to the same spot and enjoyed a Panini, fresh roasted turkey, roast beef, pork roast (all served at the same spot as the breakfast egg station), fresh salads (these varied slightly every day) and trough food. The snack shack (at the Mexican restaurant behind block 5) served burgers, fries, hotdogs and more importantly guacamole and chips. One day I ran in there and grabbed a pile of guacamole to eat with my Panini – sure wish they’d serve it in all the restaurants at lunch but the snack bar was the only consistent place to find it. We ate at all of the a la cart restaurants once (twice at the Mexican because we enjoyed it most). The reservation system was terrible – long, early morning line-ups – the Italian restaurant was most popular and hubby had to wait in line 90 minutes to finally get us in there. I have to say that the food was not great for a la cart – extremely salty (and I am a salt fiend!) I had a super Greek salad at the Italian restaurant (and the tiramisu was fine too) but the entre (some sort of trio of pasta) was blech – like what you’d expect in a cheap frozen dinner! The Brazilian place was okay if you like meat (grant it, it’s not like they’re serving prime rib – it’s cheaper cuts all the way), and the two Asian restaurants were okay as well (some of the spices were a little off – at least one dish at the Japanese restaurant tasted more Thai than any of the Thai dishes) – in fact the sushi, despite all being laced with cream cheese, was quite tasty. As I said, we like the Mexican spot best of all – great service and food . We ate at the buffet the rest of the time and I have to say I didn’t get sick of the food in the 2 weeks! Mexican fiesta nights (Thursdays) were great, and the Mediterranean theme night was also very good (I was surprised to see they had taboule in the salad bar, and it was the best I’ve ever had!) All in all, I would say that they stick to simple, inexpensive ingredients (you won’t see crab or prawns or rib-eyes) and prepare them well – veggies cooked just ‘til crisp, salads varied slightly daily, meats nicely flavoured and tenderized.

Drinks: We didn’t really enjoy the quality of the drinks – the only beer is Sol, yet up the road at the OXXO you can grab your choice of bottled beer for less than a dollar a piece. Hubby brought a collapsible cooler and purchased his beer off site. There was no Baileys or equivalent to be found at the resort, so if you like that in your morning coffee you’ll have to buy that as well. Otherwise, the drinks were mostly sweet with low quality alcohol. My hubby is an early riser and complained that coffee wasn’t available early enough for him – he had to walk up to the OXXO for his first cup of the day.

Tipping: My husband tipped everyone – 20-50 pesos to the meal servers depending upon whether it was buffet or a la cart, 20 pesos to the bacon/Panini lady, 20 or so to the bar tender every couple of drinks, 20-50 to the maid, etc. We were surprised to spy many guests leaving tables without a tip – yikes! Workers apparently make around 6 bucks a day, so tips are a huge part of their wages.

Entertainment: The open air theatre had a show at 9:30 nightly – sad to say we were usually too tired to make it but did go twice and thought it was fun. There was lots going on around the entertainment pool during day – water exercises, bingo, darts, fun little contests, etc. – all with bottles of tequila/t-shirts for prizes. I think you could spend the entire day and night at the resort and never be bored, though there is so much to do and see in the area that it’s not really necessary.

The best entertainment for us came from the people we met. There were people of all ages, from families with children to retired couples – everyone would feel at home here. Since nearly all the guests were from Canada (like us), it became a fun, “hey, do you know Joe from Moosejaw?” kind of thing. Believe it or not, we did in fact end up meeting people who knew people we knew, including a nice gentleman who had known my grandfather some 50 years ago and had some wonderful things to say about him! If you don’t like Canadians, though, stay away from Bucerias! We learned that folks have begun calling it “B.C.-rias”, on account of the inordinate number of British Columbians present. On the other hand, if you want to watch hockey, you’ll never have a problem finding a restaurant showing games and flying the flag!

Off Resort:
Laundry: we took our clothes to a laundry just down the street behind the resort (the one that leads to the bridge into Bucerias). It was a 5 minute walk and for 5 bucks your clothes were washed, dried and folded that day. It sure beat the laundry mats we’ve frequented in the past.

Tattoo: There is an amazing tattoo artist from British Columbia (again, just at the start of that road that heads into Bucerias). He tattoos in the Okanagan during the summer and lives the rest of the year in Bucerias. Very professional, very clean, and very talented. We met a few other guests at the Royal Decameron who were pleased with his work and highly recommended him, and so my husband bit the bullet and went in for a cover-up of a much loathed tattoo from his youth. He came out with a huge shoulder/upper arm piece of a shark – it’s absolutely incredible, and we couldn’t have been happier with the results.

We did a Sunday evening in Puerto Vallarta. We took a regular city bus most of the way downtown and then strolled the Malecon. We hit up The Cheeky Monkey down there for the $1 margharitas and some nachos. I would certainly recommend this place for a fun atmosphere and very delicious drinks at a dollar apiece (these were huge and much nicer than what was served at the resort).

We hired the taxi driver who picked us up at the airport and he drove us up to San Sebastian (a good 90 minute drive each way). We absolutely loved this day! It was all the better to be chauffeured around by someone who had lived in the area, so we got all kinds of colourful stories. There is a super museum in an old house, and our driver translated the tour for us. The ancient church is another amazing stop. We ate lunch, bought some locally grown coffee and locally distilled Raicia (not sure of the spelling, but it’s some sort of moonshine made from the agave plant) and enjoyed a taste of authentic, old world Mexico. A word of advice: if you head up this way, there is a lovely kindergarten – I had stopped to have a look as the children were all playing outside, and they came running and shouting, “candy!!” – and guess what? We had none! So – do your conscience a favour and bring a bag of candy or equivalent.

One day we took the Pacifico bus (an hour drive) out to La Penita for the Thursday market, which is totally worth it! Wow, a market like no other I’ve seen.

We also took a city bus (maybe ½ hour) to Sayulita one day, and absolutely loved this beautiful area – well worth the time.

From the resort, we walked to the Mega store and there I found the “real deal” vanilla at rock-bottom prices (as in a couple bucks for a large bottle). Much of the vanilla you see being sold by the vendors has that additive that’s supposed to be not so good for you, and they will try to sell it to you for 10 or 20 dollars. Our San Sebastian driver came out and asked us, “what is it with Canadians and the vanilla? What are you doing with all that vanilla?” LOL! Also at Mega was the cheapest Kahulua - I think it was $11 (rough Canadian money estimate) for a jumbo bottle (larger than the one we buy at home). We bought two and just wrapped them in clothes in my husband’s suitcase.

Otherwise, we visited Bucerias nearly every day, stopping for snacks and beers at many of the restaurants that line the beach. There is nothing like relaxing in front of that gorgeous ocean while friendly servers bring you ice cold Dos Equios! The vendors on the beach were super – they did come by frequently but were polite and could be quite fun. We didn’t buy a whole lot – a couple of hammocks, a “silver” bracelet and a few t-shirts and handbags. We quite enjoy bartering and found the vendors to be easy going and fun, and willing to teach you a few words of Spanish if you were game.

We loved Bucerias, and really enjoyed the Decameron. We’ll certainly return to the area in the future, but would likely choose a condo without all-inclusive, simply because we preferred being out and about, don’t really need the resort-style entertainment and would rather eat and drink at the many restaurants around town. However, if I was to take my children, the Decameron would be the place to stay, as they would really enjoy the activities and casual atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

Great Vibe!

That is what my better half announced after just a couple of hours at the RDC. He was right - the staff, grounds, pools, bars and restaurants all provided an instant “feel good” vibe that continued for the week. We had such a great experience, including stalking someone we thought was Tiger Woods hiding from the paparazzi at Pool 6 bar one evening! It could happen!

We stayed in Building 5 and were very pleased – great pool and excellent staff at the buffet and the bar. It was not a long walk at all to other buildings or to the ocean. We have been to large resorts in Cuba where you were breathing dust by the time you reached a bar or restaurant. We were able to use the Front Desk at Building 4 to handily do all of our “business” – banking, internet, restaurant bookings, Nolitours bookings and check out. There is an ABM kitty-corner from the RDC by the timeshare shark, and at the first shop down the street there is a money-exchange with better conversion rates than at the RDC.

The room was basic as noted, but we had read the reviews so there were no surprises. The buffets were fine and we often buffet-hopped, having a little bit at both of them and usually whatever was being cooked fresh. We also bar-hopped as there are so many little bars spread out over the resort, each with it’s own following of revellers.

One of the best features of this resort is its location. It is easy to immerse yourself into the local way of life – walking about Bucerias or catching the bus to PV or Wal-Mart (“Just get out and cross the freeway”, we were told!). It was an easy to walk to the Bucerias markets. We wished we had rented bikes from the resort earlier in the week instead of near the end of our stay. We rode further into Bucerias where we ran across many of the hotspots that we had been looking for – Twisted Rose, Bucerias Gardens, Yo Yo Mo’s, etc. We did manage to cab it in that evening to Yo Yo Mo’s to watch the Flames lose.

Your vacation is what you make it – “Live great days; your days are your life in miniature”.

Prince George
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

We travelled with a large wedding group, service was fantastic, the food was good, the location was very nice. The rooms were nice, but the beds are VERY firm, but you are only there to sleep. The entire resort was very well kept, VERY clean, we felt as though we could walk around with out any shoes on and we didn't have to worry. I would recommed that you include in your budget a substantial amount for tipping, they deserve it!

• Stayed April 2010
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

The Royal Decameron *exceeded* our expectations.

There are some solid pros and very few cons - but overall - feel good about your choice - this is a fantastic resort.

PROS:

1) The resort is immaculate - there are people everywhere cleaning, gardening, tending to your needs.

2) The staff is the most friendly we have ever encountered (and we have been at many resorts in several countries).

3) The food was great - although I would say - use the buffet at the “Tropicale “ (the “Flamingo” was a notch or two lower - smaller and fewer choices).

4) The Rodizio has burgers, fries, and excellent chips and guacamole every day from 11 am to 5 pm - we had a mid day snack every day there (check the map for the location of these restaurants).

5) The walk to Bucerias is FUN (and perfectly safe in am or at night).

Walk out to the front of the resort past the guard shack and turn immediately down the street there to the left.

The BEST deals are in Bucerias - MUCH cheaper than Puerto Vallarta (and cheaper than the beach market to the left of the resort as you face the beach).

If you get tired of resort food, there are some fun restaurants along this road too.

6) The a la carte restaurants are pretty good. The Italian and the Thai (and Rodizio) were great.

People weren't as thrilled with the others, so we skipped them (and we happened to LOVE the buffets - especially breakfast and dinner - lunch was a little more boring - but the ICE CREAM WAS DELICIOUS = every lunch - especially the vanilla!!!!)

7) Beach was great - always wonderful bodysurfing and boogie board waves - do it!!!

You can walk forever north or south on the beach for miles. ALL the people were kind and nice - I was with my daughter and wife - and none of us EVER felt threatened in any way.

8) TAKE THE CATAMARAN ride!!!!!!! Almost no one did this - it is free and they send a sailor (we had "Angel " a wonderful young man) take us. Only two riders at a time and the ride is 20-30 minutes. The view is GORGEOUS!!!

9) USE THE FREE BIKES!!! WE used them a lot - you can ride the street to Bucerias which is really fun!!! You do have to carry them over a bridge (up ten feet and down ten feet - but we were all able to do this easily).

10) This sounds weird, but there are LOTS of bathrooms around the resort and LOTS of places to get drinks. We really appreciated this convenience.

11) Beach Volleyball - my favorite thing to do on vacation - this usually started at 11 AM - there is a big board by the Flamingo pool - check it to see what is going on.

12) There are also daily free tennis lessons, water volleyball, water aerobics, dancing etc.

13) Rooms: the rooms are older - but we felt good because they were spotlessly clean and cleaned. When we asked for extra pillows or towels they ladies were very happy to give them to us.

14) The resort is huge - walk around the whole thing the first day so you know what is available/

CONS:

1) Hard beds. Geez. I want to give the resort a flawless review because they try soooooo hard to make you feel important and special - they really do. But the beds were amazingly hard. The rooms were fine except for this. I heard some rooms have "feather mattress pads" - that would have been great.

2) Computers. There are two banks of two computers for the whole resort. It is $5/hour US to use them and since it was Easter week - they were hard to get to.

What I did was walk across the street to the internet cafe (directly across the street - 50 feet away from the resort).

I would buy a bottled water , get the free WI-FI code, and use my iphone which was LOTS faster than the hotel computers and no waiting, no worrying of running out of time, or someone breathing down your neck wanting to use your computer.

3) THE AIRPORT IN PUERT VALLRTA IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE EVER - one slice of pizza at Sbarro’s was $8 (and water $3 a bottle). Others who went here before brought lunch items with them. This is more expensive than New York City (ouch)!!

OTHER SUGGESTIONS:

1) If you need a pharmacy item (we needed several things like allergy pills, cortisone cream for sunburn, and extra sunblock).

Do NOT use the pharmacy in Bucerias or from the Gift Shop at the resort = VERY expensive.

Instead, walk to the end of the block from the highway (about 4 city blocks). There is a huge pharmacy on the right hand side which is VERY much cheaper than anywhere else...that pharmacy is designed for Mexicans, not for "rich tourists."

2) DEFINITELY bring a large cup - the drink cups they use are tiny. If you drink lots of coffee like I do in the morning - you will want a bigger coffee cup.

And you NEED a bigger cup for water and other drinks to properly hydrate all day.

They do give you a large water bottle each day - which we had the bar refill for us to walk around with (but a big plastic bottle takes ice cubes which is very nice in the heat!!!!)

3) Most of the beach has three rows of chairs. If you place towels there by 8 AM you can get in the front row. If you are there by 9AM you can get the second row. There were always chairs available - even during Easter week - but it will be the third row.

One suggestion - see if people in the front row are wearing wristbands from Decameran. MANY people using the front row seats were locals or people who stayed at cheaper (non ocean front) hotels. There was lone famil with about 8 people using 8 chairs in the front row. I did not confront them, but we did mention it to the front office staff - and the next day, security monitored this.

4) Have a great time. You will LOVE the Decameron. EVERYONE we talked to did. They felt they got an incredible deal (as did we) - and all of us were amazed people ever complained about this place.

We travel a lot - and I want you to know - this is a fantastic deal - beautiful surroundings, a great resort, and a staff that makes you feel special.

We are very happy.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Québec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

this past march my wife and i had the pleasure of spending an incredible week here.this was our first visit to this part of MEXICO .we were pleasantly surprised with the flamboyant colors of the hotel complex,the beautiful grounds the helpful staff .we also loved the fact that it was nice and fairly quiet even with the number of young people at the resort.the spa facilities were pretty remarkable and affordable.the beach was incredible as was the food..restaurants..dont worry if you dont get in for the a la cartes..the buffets are fantastic.did not like the fact you have to line up to book the a la cartes, i m sure they can come up with a better system.loved that the complex is split up in blocks with pools at each but not exclusive to the people in the blocks.the entertainment was a little cheezy but fun.absolutely loved the theme nights. staff was very helpfull..freindly.all in all we would return in a heart beat. the nolitours reps were also to be comended..very helpful and billingual.merci pour votre aide. thank you ROYAL DECAMERON for a super vacation

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

RDC review

We stayed at RDC the last two weeks of March, 2010. We really enjoyed our experience.

This place is huge, but it doesn't necessarily feel over-crowded. We were there during spring break, so the place was likely at or near capacity.

I like the look and layout of RDC. The complex is spread out. The grounds are well groomed and maintained. It's pretty easy to move around. There are plenty of restaurants, bars and pools to accommodate up to 1200 guests.

The food is about what you'd expect from a resort of this class. It's not bad. There's usually enough variety at the buffet's to find what you like. They do a pretty good job changing the menu most nights. I did enjoy having breakfast either poolside or on the open terrace overlooking the beach. You can't beat that atmosphere.

The level of service was pretty good. We found the staff to be courteous and accommodating. We had a few 'favorite' servers that really looked after us.

RDC features 5 a la carte restaurants. You will likely have to wait in line to book at the Italian since it is the most popular and also the smallest. We had no difficulty booking for seven people in any of the other a la cartes.

I like the resort's proximity to town. It's an easy walk to a variety to restaurants, bars, art shops and stores. You can also stroll kilometers of beach in either direction.

Our room was kept pretty clean. I wish there was a fridge in the room, but we brought a collapsible cooler from home to keep water and beer cold. It was no problem getting ice from any of the resort's bars.

If you want to ensure you will have space at a beach palapa, you'll probably have to drop a towel on a beach lounger early in the morning. Many guests are 'reserving' palapas by 6 am. It's difficult to find space after 8 am. Personally, I dislike this practice but being indignant won't change it. The same thing happens at a lot of other places I've stayed at.

About 80% of the people staying at the resort are Canadian. I try to work on my limited grasp of Spanish when I travel, but it was a little harder this trip. English is spoken throughout the Bucerias area because there are hundreds if not thousands of Canadian snowbirds who stay there for several months of the year.

Eventually, when I stop working, I could easily spend a few months of the year in this area.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
North Battleford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

2 of my sisters, my neice (11) and myself travelled Feb 27-Mar 7th/10 from Saskatoon, Sk. We had an awesome time and enjoyed the food,(tons of variety) drinks (NOT watered down) and entertainment. 6/7 shows were awesome! The A la carts need to be booked daily but it is so worth it! Standing in line daily is kind of pain but not really a huge deal.
The disco was ok but does need to be upgraded. Partying isn't our main priority so it was ok with us.
There were fun scheduled activities throughtout the day in Block 1. Everything from name that tune, dancing lessons, water polo etc....Fun! You can paint your own ceramics which makes a great souvenir. (They vary in price) The guy does a wonderful job doing touch ups and glazing them.
We went to the market in Bucerias which was great. You can barter and get a good price.
If you need to use the internet-don't pay for it at the Royal, it is very expensive and right across the road there is an internet cafe which is really inexpensive to use. There is also wireless internet available.
One excursion we really enjoyed was the Pirate Ship evening one. Soooo much fun and an awesome meal!
The spa was to die for! We had relaxing massages and it was awesome. They are very professional. So great!!!
We stayed in Block 6 and it was really nice and quiet but a hike up 3 flights of stairs.
The only downfall was that our flight was late at night on the day of departure. We had to check out of our room by noon and therefore all the luggage was held at the front desk. To be honest-anyone could have went into our luggage and it ticked us off that there wasn't a better system -say a locked room- or something. We kept our passports, money and important items on us at all times. They gave us a courtesy room to use for 1/2 hr to shower and freshen up so that was good.
The resort is extremely clean and the grounds are kept immaculate. I definitely would feel safe bringing young children. It is quite large too.
Overall, we felt that this all inclusive was awesome for the price we paid. We definitely would go again if we got the same price.

• Stayed February 2010

Been to Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!