“Our experience was wonderful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Complex

You added Royal Decameron Complex to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Complex
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lazaro Cardenas 150 | Riviera de Nayarit, Bucerias 63732, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bucerias
GreenLeadersGold level
Prince George
“Our experience was wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

We travelled with a large wedding group, service was fantastic, the food was good, the location was very nice. The rooms were nice, but the beds are VERY firm, but you are only there to sleep. The entire resort was very well kept, VERY clean, we felt as though we could walk around with out any shoes on and we didn't have to worry. I would recommed that you include in your budget a substantial amount for tipping, they deserve it!

• Stayed April 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (869)
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

The Royal Decameron *exceeded* our expectations.

There are some solid pros and very few cons - but overall - feel good about your choice - this is a fantastic resort.

PROS:

1) The resort is immaculate - there are people everywhere cleaning, gardening, tending to your needs.

2) The staff is the most friendly we have ever encountered (and we have been at many resorts in several countries).

3) The food was great - although I would say - use the buffet at the “Tropicale “ (the “Flamingo” was a notch or two lower - smaller and fewer choices).

4) The Rodizio has burgers, fries, and excellent chips and guacamole every day from 11 am to 5 pm - we had a mid day snack every day there (check the map for the location of these restaurants).

5) The walk to Bucerias is FUN (and perfectly safe in am or at night).

Walk out to the front of the resort past the guard shack and turn immediately down the street there to the left.

The BEST deals are in Bucerias - MUCH cheaper than Puerto Vallarta (and cheaper than the beach market to the left of the resort as you face the beach).

If you get tired of resort food, there are some fun restaurants along this road too.

6) The a la carte restaurants are pretty good. The Italian and the Thai (and Rodizio) were great.

People weren't as thrilled with the others, so we skipped them (and we happened to LOVE the buffets - especially breakfast and dinner - lunch was a little more boring - but the ICE CREAM WAS DELICIOUS = every lunch - especially the vanilla!!!!)

7) Beach was great - always wonderful bodysurfing and boogie board waves - do it!!!

You can walk forever north or south on the beach for miles. ALL the people were kind and nice - I was with my daughter and wife - and none of us EVER felt threatened in any way.

8) TAKE THE CATAMARAN ride!!!!!!! Almost no one did this - it is free and they send a sailor (we had "Angel " a wonderful young man) take us. Only two riders at a time and the ride is 20-30 minutes. The view is GORGEOUS!!!

9) USE THE FREE BIKES!!! WE used them a lot - you can ride the street to Bucerias which is really fun!!! You do have to carry them over a bridge (up ten feet and down ten feet - but we were all able to do this easily).

10) This sounds weird, but there are LOTS of bathrooms around the resort and LOTS of places to get drinks. We really appreciated this convenience.

11) Beach Volleyball - my favorite thing to do on vacation - this usually started at 11 AM - there is a big board by the Flamingo pool - check it to see what is going on.

12) There are also daily free tennis lessons, water volleyball, water aerobics, dancing etc.

13) Rooms: the rooms are older - but we felt good because they were spotlessly clean and cleaned. When we asked for extra pillows or towels they ladies were very happy to give them to us.

14) The resort is huge - walk around the whole thing the first day so you know what is available/

CONS:

1) Hard beds. Geez. I want to give the resort a flawless review because they try soooooo hard to make you feel important and special - they really do. But the beds were amazingly hard. The rooms were fine except for this. I heard some rooms have "feather mattress pads" - that would have been great.

2) Computers. There are two banks of two computers for the whole resort. It is $5/hour US to use them and since it was Easter week - they were hard to get to.

What I did was walk across the street to the internet cafe (directly across the street - 50 feet away from the resort).

I would buy a bottled water , get the free WI-FI code, and use my iphone which was LOTS faster than the hotel computers and no waiting, no worrying of running out of time, or someone breathing down your neck wanting to use your computer.

3) THE AIRPORT IN PUERT VALLRTA IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE EVER - one slice of pizza at Sbarro’s was $8 (and water $3 a bottle). Others who went here before brought lunch items with them. This is more expensive than New York City (ouch)!!

OTHER SUGGESTIONS:

1) If you need a pharmacy item (we needed several things like allergy pills, cortisone cream for sunburn, and extra sunblock).

Do NOT use the pharmacy in Bucerias or from the Gift Shop at the resort = VERY expensive.

Instead, walk to the end of the block from the highway (about 4 city blocks). There is a huge pharmacy on the right hand side which is VERY much cheaper than anywhere else...that pharmacy is designed for Mexicans, not for "rich tourists."

2) DEFINITELY bring a large cup - the drink cups they use are tiny. If you drink lots of coffee like I do in the morning - you will want a bigger coffee cup.

And you NEED a bigger cup for water and other drinks to properly hydrate all day.

They do give you a large water bottle each day - which we had the bar refill for us to walk around with (but a big plastic bottle takes ice cubes which is very nice in the heat!!!!)

3) Most of the beach has three rows of chairs. If you place towels there by 8 AM you can get in the front row. If you are there by 9AM you can get the second row. There were always chairs available - even during Easter week - but it will be the third row.

One suggestion - see if people in the front row are wearing wristbands from Decameran. MANY people using the front row seats were locals or people who stayed at cheaper (non ocean front) hotels. There was lone famil with about 8 people using 8 chairs in the front row. I did not confront them, but we did mention it to the front office staff - and the next day, security monitored this.

4) Have a great time. You will LOVE the Decameron. EVERYONE we talked to did. They felt they got an incredible deal (as did we) - and all of us were amazed people ever complained about this place.

We travel a lot - and I want you to know - this is a fantastic deal - beautiful surroundings, a great resort, and a staff that makes you feel special.

We are very happy.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Québec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

this past march my wife and i had the pleasure of spending an incredible week here.this was our first visit to this part of MEXICO .we were pleasantly surprised with the flamboyant colors of the hotel complex,the beautiful grounds the helpful staff .we also loved the fact that it was nice and fairly quiet even with the number of young people at the resort.the spa facilities were pretty remarkable and affordable.the beach was incredible as was the food..restaurants..dont worry if you dont get in for the a la cartes..the buffets are fantastic.did not like the fact you have to line up to book the a la cartes, i m sure they can come up with a better system.loved that the complex is split up in blocks with pools at each but not exclusive to the people in the blocks.the entertainment was a little cheezy but fun.absolutely loved the theme nights. staff was very helpfull..freindly.all in all we would return in a heart beat. the nolitours reps were also to be comended..very helpful and billingual.merci pour votre aide. thank you ROYAL DECAMERON for a super vacation

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

RDC review

We stayed at RDC the last two weeks of March, 2010. We really enjoyed our experience.

This place is huge, but it doesn't necessarily feel over-crowded. We were there during spring break, so the place was likely at or near capacity.

I like the look and layout of RDC. The complex is spread out. The grounds are well groomed and maintained. It's pretty easy to move around. There are plenty of restaurants, bars and pools to accommodate up to 1200 guests.

The food is about what you'd expect from a resort of this class. It's not bad. There's usually enough variety at the buffet's to find what you like. They do a pretty good job changing the menu most nights. I did enjoy having breakfast either poolside or on the open terrace overlooking the beach. You can't beat that atmosphere.

The level of service was pretty good. We found the staff to be courteous and accommodating. We had a few 'favorite' servers that really looked after us.

RDC features 5 a la carte restaurants. You will likely have to wait in line to book at the Italian since it is the most popular and also the smallest. We had no difficulty booking for seven people in any of the other a la cartes.

I like the resort's proximity to town. It's an easy walk to a variety to restaurants, bars, art shops and stores. You can also stroll kilometers of beach in either direction.

Our room was kept pretty clean. I wish there was a fridge in the room, but we brought a collapsible cooler from home to keep water and beer cold. It was no problem getting ice from any of the resort's bars.

If you want to ensure you will have space at a beach palapa, you'll probably have to drop a towel on a beach lounger early in the morning. Many guests are 'reserving' palapas by 6 am. It's difficult to find space after 8 am. Personally, I dislike this practice but being indignant won't change it. The same thing happens at a lot of other places I've stayed at.

About 80% of the people staying at the resort are Canadian. I try to work on my limited grasp of Spanish when I travel, but it was a little harder this trip. English is spoken throughout the Bucerias area because there are hundreds if not thousands of Canadian snowbirds who stay there for several months of the year.

Eventually, when I stop working, I could easily spend a few months of the year in this area.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
North Battleford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

2 of my sisters, my neice (11) and myself travelled Feb 27-Mar 7th/10 from Saskatoon, Sk. We had an awesome time and enjoyed the food,(tons of variety) drinks (NOT watered down) and entertainment. 6/7 shows were awesome! The A la carts need to be booked daily but it is so worth it! Standing in line daily is kind of pain but not really a huge deal.
The disco was ok but does need to be upgraded. Partying isn't our main priority so it was ok with us.
There were fun scheduled activities throughtout the day in Block 1. Everything from name that tune, dancing lessons, water polo etc....Fun! You can paint your own ceramics which makes a great souvenir. (They vary in price) The guy does a wonderful job doing touch ups and glazing them.
We went to the market in Bucerias which was great. You can barter and get a good price.
If you need to use the internet-don't pay for it at the Royal, it is very expensive and right across the road there is an internet cafe which is really inexpensive to use. There is also wireless internet available.
One excursion we really enjoyed was the Pirate Ship evening one. Soooo much fun and an awesome meal!
The spa was to die for! We had relaxing massages and it was awesome. They are very professional. So great!!!
We stayed in Block 6 and it was really nice and quiet but a hike up 3 flights of stairs.
The only downfall was that our flight was late at night on the day of departure. We had to check out of our room by noon and therefore all the luggage was held at the front desk. To be honest-anyone could have went into our luggage and it ticked us off that there wasn't a better system -say a locked room- or something. We kept our passports, money and important items on us at all times. They gave us a courtesy room to use for 1/2 hr to shower and freshen up so that was good.
The resort is extremely clean and the grounds are kept immaculate. I definitely would feel safe bringing young children. It is quite large too.
Overall, we felt that this all inclusive was awesome for the price we paid. We definitely would go again if we got the same price.

• Stayed February 2010
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

We stayed at the Royal DeCameron in Puerto Vallarta resort during spring break (husband, myself and our 14 year old son). It was through Apple Vacations. At the airport.. look for your Apple rep and do not talk to anyone else. We got pulled aside by I thought someone at the airport trying to help us and it turned into a time-share rep. The guy wouldn't take No for an answer. The hotel was very nice... grounds are spotless, pools are great, everyone was very helpful and friendly. When we got to our room I realized we didn't have any toiletries in the bathroom (shampoo, conditioner, body lotion)... they do not supply those items! I brought a few packages of shampoo/conditioner with me that we used for the week. Drinks were weak. I ordered a mojito expecting them to crush mint... Not a chance.. he gave me rum mixed with this green liquid. It tasted horrible. The other drinks were fine but nothing great (pina colada, margarita, etc). Beer was good though. Everyone was walking around with these insulated coffee mugs or huge plastic glasses from home. They serve the drinks in these tiny plastic glasses so be prepared or bring something from home. Food was fine.. I gave the buffet a 5.. each night a different theme. The Mexican theme night was the best for the whole week. Some things just didn't look appetizing and I noticed at breakfast the next day, they would recycle some of the food (ex: stew). I've been to better buffets at other resorts. Restaurants: you have to make reservations early in the morning.. the girl is there at 8:00 but people start lining up at 7:00. And then they open up again at 3;00 for reservations to restaurants the following day. We didn't like the Brazilian... too much meat. They came around every 5 minutes with another meat selection that they carved right in front of you. I was just getting sick of eating all that meat. I would have been happy with 2 things and some side dishes. The Italian was ok.. nothing to brag about. I had the tour of italy or something like that. We are not ones to go back to the same resort because there are too many other places in the world to visit. Would I recommend the place.. Yes.. but like I said, bring shampoo, a big mug!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
cobourg, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

We stayed march 22 - april 5 - in all reality the decameron and it's staff that we interacted with were excellent - asked for a room change on day 4 due to noise as we were close to beach pool and main activity areas - while it was normal noise from partiers it did last to the wee hours 3-4 a.m. at times - we were moved to the block we requested and the floor we requested block 5 ground floor by the adult pool - this move took less than 30 minutes at no cost ( we did give the front desk some money for the change but we were not asked for any) - our check in and out was very efficient and swift and handled professionally - we arrived and were in our rooms in less than 35 minutes and check out took less time - we read reviews about food and language blocks but did not experience any concerns at all in these areas - the variety of foods and desserts are plentiful, specialty restaurants are okay and making reservations is not difficult, for same day reserve in the a.m. next day reservations 3:00 p.m. while the rooms are basic they are always cleaned daily by very friendly staff who do there best to communicate with you in your language of choice - we experinced ZERO concerns with any bugs, insects of any kind in or out of the rooms and other areas of the resort - the beach is great also, while not very clear and a bit rough at times it was great fun to enjoy swimming or boogie boarding ( all 4 of us enjoyed and we are in our 60's) terrific shape mind you - if there was a negative it was with some of the people from Quebec who could be very rude in their manner at times - very pushy and aggresive but we have experienced this with them at other destinations as well - come on lighten Quebcers YOU are not the only ones walking the sidewalks and waiting to be served your food. all in all a terrific resort and we will be back to decameron whether it be mexico or panama where we have been twice - the shows are also great as they perform and work very, very hard at their jobs, want vegas, well, go to vegas i guess

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bucerias
Hotel Decameron Los Cocos
Hotel Riu Vallarta
Hotel Riu Vallarta
#11 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.0 of 5 stars 3,232 reviews

Been to Royal Decameron Complex? Share your experiences!