“Bed bugs!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lazaro Cardenas 150, Bucerias 63732, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bucerias
british columbia
“Bed bugs!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

My husband and I recently spent a week at this hotel, and while it is not the fanciest resort at which we have stayed, it was adequately appointed and the staff was excellent. The buffet was unremarkable but all of the al a cart restaurants that we tried were very good to excellent, especially the Italian.
Our problem with the resort is that on our last night the noise of the disco-goers was even more excessive than usual and we were awoken enough to turn on the lights in our room. We discovered that there was more than a dozen bugs on our bed! We had noticed these bugs in the room one at a time through the week, but thought nothing of it as we expect unusual bugs in tropical areas. But at this discovery, we started to wonder if these were, in fact, bed bugs.
We squished several in tissue and I took them to the front desk where the night manager tried to tell me that these were bugs that hitched a ride into our room on our feet and shoes from walking on the grass. I told him that I wanted him to look them up on the internet to determine exactly what they were. He avoided doing this. He offered to move us to another room, but as we had less then 12 hours at the resort there was no point in doing this. Besides, as I told him, if they were bed bugs, we would just be infecting another room. I went back to the room where my hubby, the great hunter that he is, had been tearing apart the bed, killing the offensive little beasts. I spent the remainder of the night with the lights on, barely dozing.
When we checked out in the morning the hotel made no mention of the problem, let alone offer an apology.
Further, when I spoke to the No Lit Tours representative about the problem, she tried to tell me that the bugs were probably sand flies that got into our bed by us not washing our feet after being on the sand. I was not able to refute this at the time because I had no access to the internet to look them up.
I realize that one can encounter these bugs at any hotel, regardless of the rating and that this is becoming a global epidemic. But if hotels do not acknowledge the problem and try to hide an infestation this will never ever be eradicated or even controlled.
Upon returning home we had to take every precaution to not infest our own home. This meant much researching online and multiple washings of our clothes in the hottest water possible and keeping our suitcases in the garage for days, then vacuuming them out very carefully.
Next time we go to any hotel, anywhere, we will be doing a bug check. I recommend the same to everyone.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

Simply the best vacation we've had! Clean, Clean, Clean... The Royal Decameron is fun, wonderful and very safe and secure. The food is abundant and marvelous (try the Brazilian ala carte and the Mexican fiesta every Thursdays). Staff are so friendly and really look after you. I've never seen people work as hard as the staff ..PLEASE, PLEASE TIP THEM even $1, they deserve it ...cannot believe some of the cheapskate guests i saw that don't even tip.

We visited the resort from Feb 26-Mar 5th . We stayed in Block 4 with a 10 month old and never experienced any sort of problems.
They provided us with a king size bed , a crib and a baby bathtub. The beach is simply marvelous. My wife got a massage on the beach..There are also vendors on the beach, but you don't have to buy anything and they are polite. There are lots of activities in and out of the resort. We walked to Buscerias and visited the church and flea markets. Took a cab to Puerto Vallarta (200 pesos) and back to the resort (250 pesos). It was so safe that the resort took the license plate number of both cabs and our info to make sure we were safely accounted for.

I am not sure about some of the complaints others have written here about Royal Decameron. Proves that you can't make everyone happy..Some people are just whiners and must suffer from entitlement issues of some sort.. or they are just simply idiots who cannot appreciate how good they have it. Go pay 3x more if you want plasma TV in your room or a fridge..who goes to a beach resort to stay in their room anyways? for the price we paid it was above and beyond the best value for our money.

Anything you need for you and your young kids (chips, diapers, pedialyte, etc...) are easily accessible with a 5 minute walk to the pharmacy and OXXO store (Mexican 7-11).
Even when the resort was fully booked it was not crowded.. there are lots and lots of room to enjoy the whole resort.

Some good advice:

-Bring big shampoo
-50 $1 bills for tips
-Alarm clock (we simply used our cellphone alarm)
-A travel mug

We will definitely go back !!

Ken from Winnipeg

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

My husband, me, my husband's sister and our sister-in law, plus 8 of our friends travelled to Puerto Vallarta February 23 and returned March 2. This was my husband's and my second trip in two years and we have only good things to say about the trip. We had so much fun between sunning, swimming, walking down to the flea market in Bucerias and checking out other little shops just up the road in the complex. We also did the Pirate Ship evening dinner and I would highly recommend this to everyone. The entertainment and food aboard the ship were absolutely fabulous. Back at the complex, the food was absolutely wonderful and so many choices in the buffets we did not go to any of the a la carte restaurants this time. The service at the bars was excellent and they were always so pleasant whether you drank alcohol or ordered virgin drinks. The rooms are basic but they are kept spotless. The housekeeping staff were always pleasant as were any of the staff in the entire complex. I had to use the lost and found one day as I left my travel mug on a table one night and the staff at the front desk and the lost and found person were so helpful. I actually got the mug back right away. We felt very safe in this complex and would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Saskatoon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

We had a great vacation!! The rooms are basic but very clean. Bring your own shampoo!! The resort, pools and beach also very clean.
The breakfast buffet was always awesome (great egg station, lots of fruit). Lunch also pretty good (burgers and pannini very tasty, buffet options okay). Supper buffet was edible (except Mexican night which was exceptional). We went to the a la cart restaurants four times and enjoyed them all. The Italian restaurant was very classy with superior service. We went to the Brazilian restaurant twice we liked it so much. It was easy to get supper reservations.
Staff was great. Bartenders great. The maid service for the rooms was a little slow but they do not promise your room to be done until 1700. We lefty lots of tips; the staff deserve it!!
We walked to Bucerias a couple times. Found some great silver shops that were cheaper than PV. My husband and I both felt safe walking to Bucerias.
If you have a late flight (eg airport transport at 2300) make sure to ask for a late check out!! NOLITOURS does not arrange this as part of your package!! The charter plane was also packed....it felt like we flew sardine express!
Overall great vacation!! Have already recommended the hotel to friends!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

I stayed at the RDC February 22-March 1 2010. This was my first stay here but will not be my last. From start to finish this resort was amazing. The rooms although a bit dated but were spotless. The maids are to be commended for the excellent work they do.
Check in was a breeze, pools were clean and well looked after. All the buffets were great with lots of choices, there is no way you could possibly go hungry here. The staff truly make your stay here a joy. Every staff member was smiling, happy and could not do enough for you. Nothing was too much trouble for them. The animated staff were fantastic and did everything in their power to make your stay enjoyable. I can't wait to get back here.
FYI...please leave a tip for these workers. They work so hard. I could NOT believe the number of guests that never left anything.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

This was my second time to the Royal Decameron, the first was 6 years ago, and it was as good as I remembered.
Location:The location is perfect, beach is beautiful and the ocean is warm and clean. Rooms/grounds: We were in building 3, near the disco, but didn't find the noise bad at night, although it may be that the AC helped to reduce the noise. I found the bed quite comfortable, and the rooms and grounds were kept very clean. There was several gardeners, who helped to make the resort ground beautiful.
The staff were great, especially the servers and the entertainment staff, who always were smiling and made the stay special.
Restaurants: The buffets were fine, nothing amazing, but the food was good and there was always enough to eat, unless you are quite picky. The breakfasts were good, lots of fresh fruit, and the freshly made omlettes/egg station was great. The sit-down restaurants were awesome, there are 5: Mexican, Italian, Thai, Japanese and Brazilian. We went to the Thai (very good, quite a bit of selection, and nice flavours) Brazilian (lots of meat, so it was very filling, and very popular with my boyfriend) and the Italian, which was my favourite! It has a very upscale restaurant feel, with a romantic setting, and the waiter was so friendly and the food was great!!!. The presentation of the food at all of the restaurants was wonderful, they are really trying to make their restaurants a higher standard.
Entertainment: Entertainment was amazing, far better than I remembered. The staff were all very talented in many different types of dance/acrobatics, and the costumes and sets were exceptional. The theatre seating was always full every night, and well worth getting a spot to see such talent! The resort also got the CTV feed for the olympics, and broadcast all the canada hockey games at the disco, which was full of canadians, and had staff coming around with drinks, and popcorn available, which made for a really fun atmosphere!
I also got a massage at a small spa just down the road towards the highway from teh resort. The prices were about half of those in the resort (35$ for 1 hour massage) and the spa was very clean, nice setting, and very professional staff. It was a great massage.
My boyfriend and I took advantage of the scuba at the resort, and took a lesson in the pool. We also then booked the Marietas island tour, and did a 30 minute scuba around the island. It was a fun tour (wiht Vallarta adventures, through the resort) including whale watching, food and drinks, and was a fun, though full-day, trip.

Overall, a great resort, very good value for the price, great staff, location and food. I would definitely go back!

Vancouver Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

We just got home from our third trip to Royal de Cameron. I don’t know where to begin; every employee goes above and beyond to make sure every guest is having fun and treated well. The employees work six days a week and each day is long, but you would never know this by their smiling faces, kindness and cheerfulness. I can’t even count how many times I was asked if I was having fun! I know if we had to work as hard and as long days as they do, not to many people would be able to keep up to their standards. They are all amazing!

We spent our days by the activity centre in Block One because we like to participate in the wide variety of activities; there is something for everyone. Fabian, Luis, Claudia, Brenda, Andy, Carlo and all those who relieved in the activities centre worked hard and added a lot of fun to our days. They made us feel like we were part of their family. They acknowledged us by our first names (which surprised us, because who knows how many people they meet in a day). You could tell by the smile and enthusiasm Luis has, that he loves his job!

We have known Fabian for three years and have seen him grow from working at the activities centre to acting and impersonating Michael Jackson. He cesses to amaze us. I can’t wait to see what he’s doing next year – he’s got amazing talent!

Roberto and Abel at the pool bar were always smiling, friendly and hard at work doing what they do best- mixing up some great drinks!

We never missed the dance shows, they are fabulous! The choreography and costumes are astounding. I have been to So You Think You Can Dance Canada and a few other dance/theatre shows, and I have to say these shows are outstanding!

Food wise, there is always a wide variety to choose from and plenty of it. The rooms are simple, but nice and clean, and the housekeeping staff always surprised us with something new like swans on our bed made out of towels, toilet paper made into rose buds, etc.

We love the location. Just a stroll down the road or a walk along the beach is Bucerias, which has a variety of markets to shop at and nice sites to see. Up the road from the resort ARE the bus stop that can take you anywhere you want to go, a corner store and a pharmacy.

This is not a complaint, only a recommendation. we all felt there should be no smoking permitted in any enclosed buildings such as the lounge by Block 1 and in the disco, due to the poor air quality. Some of us had sore throats, which we feel was due to this, along with maybe the air conditioners. We enjoyed going to the disco, but after being there an hour we would leave as we felt the music catered more to the younger crowd.

In all, the staff should be highly commended on how hard they work to make every guest happy. They are all very professional in what they do! Thanks to all of you for making another trip so memorable. See you all next year!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!