“Awesome Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta

You added Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lazaro Cardenas 150, Bucerias 63732, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bucerias
Grande Prairie, Canada
“Awesome Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. We were right by the quiet adult pool next to Building 5. It was a matter of about ten steps from our little patio to the pool. I thought the food was super good - never ate anything I didn't find tasty. The Brazilian BBQ restaurant was our favorite - the BBQ ribs are delectable. i really got a kick out of the daily feeding session for the iguanas right by our building. If you look into the tree there at any other time, there they are perched, almost like birds! The one show we liked the best - Tuesday evening I think it was - featured aerial silks, a male pole dancer and a lady contortionist as good or better than any Cirque du Soleil performer! Unreal! I loved it here and would definitely like to return at some time.

Room Tip: Go ground level if you don't like stairs and want to have easy access to the pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
Corunna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We were at the RDC March 29-April 5. The weather was perfect. No rain and not a cloud in the sky all week. We were unsure what to expect. The resort was bigger than the resorts we usually stay at, however, you could get from one side to the other in under 5 minutes. It had many restaurants and many pools to choose from.

We stayed in room 6238 which was the farthest away from everything. It was on the second floor and there were no elevators. This was not a problem for us. Our balcony over looked a pool, bar, and an a la carte restaurant. Our room was very clean, the shower was huge, and everything else was "normal". The TV was small and did not have a sleep timer. The bed and pillows were very hard. Friends of our asked for a foam pad and got it without issue. We asked for one twice and did not get one. The only other issue we had with this resort was having to pay $27USD for a safe. This is the first place we have ever had to pay for one. Also, don't lose your keys! The keys (the room key with the safe key) because the keys have your room number stamped on them. If they end up in the wrong hands, someone could have access to everything in your room and your safe.

The staff was incredible and the entertainment was the best I have seen. They were very interactive. I have to give a HUGE shout out to Abel and Pedro at the bar near the Flamingo restaurant. They were the best bartenders I have seen to date. They had a variety of things going on such as Mexican Casino Night, Karaoke, Reggae Night, Name that tune and so on. These activities were before the "show" that started at 9:30.

This was a very family oriented resort. If you don't want to see kids on your vacation, this is not the place for you. There were a lot of families there and kids of all ages. The entertainment staff was really great at keeping the kids (and adults) entertained and busy.

We went on one excursion that we booked just outside of the resort beside the tequila store. We booked a deep sea fishing trip for $300 with JC (owner of the tequila store). We bartered a bit and agreed to a 12 pack of beer, and a $50 refund if we did a time share thing (which included a bottle of tequila, a blanket, and two straw hats :)). We went on the time share for an hour and a half at a resort that was 5 mins away. We had lunch over there (it sucked), the time share "chat" was okay with Jonathan, but the rest of it sucked too. Mind you, it was worth getting the $50 back. After all, $50 is $50 right? On our fishing trip, we also got free passes to snorkel Marietas Island. It looked beautiful though we chose to try and fish more instead. On our fishing tour, my fiance caught a Yellow Tail. It was quite a fight!! That was the only fish we caught in the 6 hours we were out there though, we saw a whale and some dolphins. It was a great day out on the water. We went out from Paradise Village Pier and fished with Alex and Louis from Bahia tours. They were great though they were not overly interactive.

We took a walk into Bucerias from the beach. It was about 20 minutes from the resort and was beautiful. It was a large market and was pretty awesome to see.

The pools were busy for the most part, however, we didn't have any difficulty finding a chair on the beach. There were many people that had bought inflatables to lay on as the chairs were just plastic.

The food was good. It changed a lot but we were able to find something we liked everyday. We only went to one a la carte and it was "the meat" one. They come to your table with a large skewer of meat. It was delicious though it was far too much meat to handle. You have to be up at 7:00 to book the a la cartes, and then return between 8:30-noon to reserve the a la carte you want.

Overall this resort was great. We met a lot of great people and shared a lot of laughs. I would recommend this resort.

Listowel, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We went with a group of 11 cousins from Mar 29-April 5th. Let me start with the check in. I was the only one that didnt get my room on time. I paid for the ocean view with a king bed. They had my room rented out til 3pm that day for someone that asked for a late checkout. Finally got my room by 5:30pm. But when we got the room, we werent disappointed. We were in Block 1 on the main floor. Loved this place.
The food
The way you have to book the ala carts is silly. You have to wake up early and get a number at 7:30 and then at 8am they start with the reservations.This is just silly/ People get very mean.
We did get reservations for the brazillian and the Italian. If you like meat, you will love the brazilan , My favourite was the Italian. If you want 2 meals there, you can order another entree. Very good food. I had the Flank Steak. High salt content, but very tasty.The desserts at this place is very good. Not bland or dry at all.
The beach
The beach sand was so hot so make sure you always wear sandles. The jellyfish werent an issue but they caution you on this. Not a very crowded at all. Always lots of chairs (very uncomfortable) But if you want the ones in the shade, you better get it early with a towel on the chair to hold your spot. The vendors are always asking, but for the most part if you say no thanks, they will go away. I bought 2 dresses. But you need to bardor. I got a dress that he wanted 40 U,S to 20,00/ Stand your ground on what you want to pay and you will probably get it.
The Pools

I cant say much about any other pool but pool 5. This is the adult pool, Get your chair early . They seemed to go fast.It was the quiet pool, But very nice. I spent most afternoons there. There is also a buffet there as well/..Bathroom close by as well. If you go near the tennis courts by pool 5 at around 12:30-1:30, you will see them feeding the iguanas. Very interesting. Big to.

Off resort
It is very safe to go off the resort here. We took a bus at the top of the hill for 7 pesos each way per person to MEGA. It is like a Walmart. We went there for a cooler since there is no fridge in the room. We Bought a case of water and beer to keep cold in the room. Went to the bar every morning and got the cooler filled with ice . Worked great for us.
We also did a walk into the market. Very neat place. We ate lunch at Fat Be boy's on the beach.Food was great and the Miami Vice drink was fantastic. Also went to a jewelery store and bought a silver ring with my birthstone. Paid 120 us,
We also did The Rythum of the Nights excursion. This far exceeded my expectations. It cost us 119.00 each , Didnt disappoint. Kinda felt like a was on survivor walking around. 1 hr boat ride the is so much fun, then you see a show , then a buffet, All drinks and food included in the 119.00.
Overall.
I would go back to this resort for sure. The maids, bartenders, tourists are amazing. Very friendly all around. The place is dated, but the fun you have will make you forget it isnt a 5 star,,

Room Tip: Ocean view in Block 1 is close to the beach, food, lobby and 2 pools. Also bring a blowup floaty for...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

My husband, daughter, and I, as well as 70 friends and family, just returned from a 2 week visit to the resort for my sister in law's wedding. We had an AMAZING time! We enjoyed everything about the resort, from the 5 pools scattered throughout the grounds, to the incredibly friendly staff, to the gorgeous location.
We had no problems checking in, and when a few family members wanted to switch from ground floor to higher level rooms, not a problem at all, and they were moved the next day. With our 8 month old daughter, we enjoyed the main floor room in building 6, as it allowed the two of us to come and go while our daughter napped in the room. We even had Rueben, the bartender at the pool bar, bring us drinks on our patio one night!
Info for families with children: They offer a mommy package at no cost, including a playpen for sleeping, baby bathtub, and bottle warmer. It was offered to me at check in. Building 6 is very quiet, has a huge section of the pool only 50 cms deep, and seemed to be the newest in terms of furnishings. There are high chairs at each restaurant, and they allow little children at the 6:00 and 6:30 seatings at the a la carte restaurants. Yes, building 6 is further from the beach, but at most it's a 5 minute walk away.
General info : There are a ton of loungers around each pool and at the beach, so we never had a problem finding somewhere to sit. Food at the buffets is good, and changed regularly. Omelette station every morning, deli counter (better than subway) every lunch, and changing station for dinners, depending on the night's theme. If you get tired of the buffets, you can walk into Bucerias in about 20 minutes and find a great variety of restaurants. Wifi is available, best in the lobby bar, but if people are using skype or facetime, it can be sketchy at times. Usually pretty good though. The grounds are very well kept, most staff speak pretty decent english, and are eager to please. We're seasoned travellers, and I don't think we had any problems at all this trip.
As for all the negative comments people leave, I think most are due to people expecting 5 star service when they didn't pay to stay at a 5 star resort. Remember, you're going to Mexico, so you can't expect all staff to speak perfect English. Your room won't be intricately decorated, but all you do is sleep there anyways, so why does it matter?? Spend your time in the sun, on the beach, in the pools, and at the restaurants and bars, and you'll have an amazing holiday.

Room Tip: Building 1 faces the ocean, is right next to the activities pool, so therefore noisier. Buidling 2 a...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Burlington, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We spent March 22nd - March 29th at the Royal Decameron and as always, it did not disappoint !!!
This was our 4th time at the RDC, we have stayed elsewhere in Nuevo Vallarta as well as other parts of Mexico . Once we vacationed at the RDC we were hooked ! We stayed in building # 1 as we love to hear the waves crashing all night long and the views are amazing . We had a very nice room with a flat screen TV and a king bed. It was spotlessly clean. We have also stayed in building # 4 on previous visits and have always had nice rooms. I don't understand the complaints about no toiletries or magnifying mirrors, I never use the hotel toiletries anywhere I go anyways as I like to bring my own.Do your homework before you book people !!!
This resort is spotless, the people are friendly and eager to please.The grounds are very pretty and the beach is wonderful. We have no complaints about the food, it is typical of an all inclusive. The Italian restaurant " The Piccolo" is our favourite. We never waited long to get our reservations booked.
If you have booked this resort , go and have a wonderful time.
We will definitely be back !!
Thank You Royal Decameron...we had an awesome vacation :)

Room Tip: Building # 1 is close to the action so it can be noisy, but the views are amazing ! Building # 4 is...
di40
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We have been back a few weeks now, and we are missing our pool chairs! We had another nice stay at the Decameron. Not much has changed there. The resort is constantly being painted, workers are always tending to the lawn or pruning bushes, but we thought this time that the resort is in need of a facelift - especially the rooms. For family traveling with us, the rooms were the biggest disappointment. They are very simple - no clock radio, no Kleenex, no shampoo etc, toiletries that we all have come to appreciate in hotels. Just a bed, a night table, a dresser drawer with three small drawers, 5 coat hangers in the closet and a tv. Oh and one chair. Very simple. So if you choose the Decameron, go knowing that it is no frills! Really there is not enough storage for three people in a room with three small drawers. There is a safe in the room. We paid about 340 pesos for 11 days. We were not really in our room except to shower and sleep so the simpleness of the room didn't bother us, but it did bother family with us.
The food was alright - always something was of interest to us - chicken, pork, beef, sausage most nights. Always a salad bar and nachos and cheese. Every night there is a different theme. Thursdays are fun as it Mexican Fiesta night. The workers work all day to set up for it. Although we were there over the BC Spring Break, the resort was not full. In fact, they closed restaurants on a number of occasions. The Snack bar at the front of the resort was only open 3 days out of 11 . This was about our 5th trip to the Decameron. The staff is wonderful. Always is... but the cost to stay has gone up over the years and I don't think we will go back. We will try something different next year. All in all, a good trip.

Room Tip: Block 5 is at the back of the resort and it is where they put us.. but beware.. the pool in front of...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Madison, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We have traveled to Mexico for the past 20 years, almost every winter. Booked this trip w/ Apple vacations and it was the first time that we were not impressed with our choice based on the usually reliable apple rating. The check in was done by a staff member with limited English lanuage skills. There was a table set up with paperwork in big plastic bins. This lady while smiling could not answer any question outside of the script in English which she had memorized and at one point had me wait to go and a get a welcome drink for herself ( only 2 of our party of 5 actually received the welcome drink eventhough we were all standing together, good comic relief).ex of poor check in: we got there at 3:15 PM and I was wondering if there was still lunch being served and if so, where. When I asked her how late lunch is served, she said "5" which of course was incorrect. Where to go, she pointed to the paper map and behind her and said "you can go anywhere"! At first glane the grounds are not very impressive because the buildings are scattered and there is mostly grassy areas between them. The resort is much prettier at night with beautiful lighting. Our room was the biggest dissapointment. While clean, there was no beauty. An old small TV, a wall unit air conditioner with rust stains on the wall, no fridge or toiletries or tissues or even a magnifying mirror. Water marks and rust in the stark and utilitarian concrete bathroom with old rundown tiles. Best described, we expected a Hampton Inn and got a Motel 6. The next day, I went to the front desk and asked if we could pay extra and be moved to a nicer room. Arturo ( very nice young man), said all the rooms are the same but we could ask to be in a sea view room for no extra cost. Of course no one even mentioned this at check in! So, they moved us after 2 nights to a similar room but with a beautiful view of the sea which made a big difference. The beach area, multiple pools, kind staff members, evening entertainment and specialty restaurants salvaged the rest of this vacation for us but the first 48 hours were not pleasant. Reason 1: I feel like the hotel is misrepresentd based on the current apple rating and images. Had we expected what was actually there, we would have made an informed decision and not been so shocked upon arrival. 2) The hotel management should reconsider the check in process and make it more welcoming with staff who is more capable of handling tourists who do not speak Spanish. Also, adding a fridge to the rooms and shampoo, kleenex, magnifying mirror are fairly cheap fixes to add to the overall experience for travelers. The specialty restaurants and the beach quality were amazing. It is also very nice to have mutiple pools so none of them are too loud or crowded. The beach vendors are a bit of a challenge but it is a public beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room on a higher floor at check in. Go to building 4 lobby area at 7:15 AM to lin...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!