“LOVED THIS PLACE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Complex

You added Royal Decameron Complex to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Complex
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lazaro Cardenas 150 | Riviera de Nayarit, Bucerias 63732, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bucerias
GreenLeadersGold level
Listowel, Canada
“LOVED THIS PLACE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We went with a group of 11 cousins from Mar 29-April 5th. Let me start with the check in. I was the only one that didnt get my room on time. I paid for the ocean view with a king bed. They had my room rented out til 3pm that day for someone that asked for a late checkout. Finally got my room by 5:30pm. But when we got the room, we werent disappointed. We were in Block 1 on the main floor. Loved this place.
The food
The way you have to book the ala carts is silly. You have to wake up early and get a number at 7:30 and then at 8am they start with the reservations.This is just silly/ People get very mean.
We did get reservations for the brazillian and the Italian. If you like meat, you will love the brazilan , My favourite was the Italian. If you want 2 meals there, you can order another entree. Very good food. I had the Flank Steak. High salt content, but very tasty.The desserts at this place is very good. Not bland or dry at all.
The beach
The beach sand was so hot so make sure you always wear sandles. The jellyfish werent an issue but they caution you on this. Not a very crowded at all. Always lots of chairs (very uncomfortable) But if you want the ones in the shade, you better get it early with a towel on the chair to hold your spot. The vendors are always asking, but for the most part if you say no thanks, they will go away. I bought 2 dresses. But you need to bardor. I got a dress that he wanted 40 U,S to 20,00/ Stand your ground on what you want to pay and you will probably get it.
The Pools

I cant say much about any other pool but pool 5. This is the adult pool, Get your chair early . They seemed to go fast.It was the quiet pool, But very nice. I spent most afternoons there. There is also a buffet there as well/..Bathroom close by as well. If you go near the tennis courts by pool 5 at around 12:30-1:30, you will see them feeding the iguanas. Very interesting. Big to.

Off resort
It is very safe to go off the resort here. We took a bus at the top of the hill for 7 pesos each way per person to MEGA. It is like a Walmart. We went there for a cooler since there is no fridge in the room. We Bought a case of water and beer to keep cold in the room. Went to the bar every morning and got the cooler filled with ice . Worked great for us.
We also did a walk into the market. Very neat place. We ate lunch at Fat Be boy's on the beach.Food was great and the Miami Vice drink was fantastic. Also went to a jewelery store and bought a silver ring with my birthstone. Paid 120 us,
We also did The Rythum of the Nights excursion. This far exceeded my expectations. It cost us 119.00 each , Didnt disappoint. Kinda felt like a was on survivor walking around. 1 hr boat ride the is so much fun, then you see a show , then a buffet, All drinks and food included in the 119.00.
Overall.
I would go back to this resort for sure. The maids, bartenders, tourists are amazing. Very friendly all around. The place is dated, but the fun you have will make you forget it isnt a 5 star,,

Room Tip: Ocean view in Block 1 is close to the beach, food, lobby and 2 pools. Also bring a blowup floaty for...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (872)
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

My husband, daughter, and I, as well as 70 friends and family, just returned from a 2 week visit to the resort for my sister in law's wedding. We had an AMAZING time! We enjoyed everything about the resort, from the 5 pools scattered throughout the grounds, to the incredibly friendly staff, to the gorgeous location.
We had no problems checking in, and when a few family members wanted to switch from ground floor to higher level rooms, not a problem at all, and they were moved the next day. With our 8 month old daughter, we enjoyed the main floor room in building 6, as it allowed the two of us to come and go while our daughter napped in the room. We even had Rueben, the bartender at the pool bar, bring us drinks on our patio one night!
Info for families with children: They offer a mommy package at no cost, including a playpen for sleeping, baby bathtub, and bottle warmer. It was offered to me at check in. Building 6 is very quiet, has a huge section of the pool only 50 cms deep, and seemed to be the newest in terms of furnishings. There are high chairs at each restaurant, and they allow little children at the 6:00 and 6:30 seatings at the a la carte restaurants. Yes, building 6 is further from the beach, but at most it's a 5 minute walk away.
General info : There are a ton of loungers around each pool and at the beach, so we never had a problem finding somewhere to sit. Food at the buffets is good, and changed regularly. Omelette station every morning, deli counter (better than subway) every lunch, and changing station for dinners, depending on the night's theme. If you get tired of the buffets, you can walk into Bucerias in about 20 minutes and find a great variety of restaurants. Wifi is available, best in the lobby bar, but if people are using skype or facetime, it can be sketchy at times. Usually pretty good though. The grounds are very well kept, most staff speak pretty decent english, and are eager to please. We're seasoned travellers, and I don't think we had any problems at all this trip.
As for all the negative comments people leave, I think most are due to people expecting 5 star service when they didn't pay to stay at a 5 star resort. Remember, you're going to Mexico, so you can't expect all staff to speak perfect English. Your room won't be intricately decorated, but all you do is sleep there anyways, so why does it matter?? Spend your time in the sun, on the beach, in the pools, and at the restaurants and bars, and you'll have an amazing holiday.

Room Tip: Building 1 faces the ocean, is right next to the activities pool, so therefore noisier. Buidling 2 a...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Burlington, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We spent March 22nd - March 29th at the Royal Decameron and as always, it did not disappoint !!!
This was our 4th time at the RDC, we have stayed elsewhere in Nuevo Vallarta as well as other parts of Mexico . Once we vacationed at the RDC we were hooked ! We stayed in building # 1 as we love to hear the waves crashing all night long and the views are amazing . We had a very nice room with a flat screen TV and a king bed. It was spotlessly clean. We have also stayed in building # 4 on previous visits and have always had nice rooms. I don't understand the complaints about no toiletries or magnifying mirrors, I never use the hotel toiletries anywhere I go anyways as I like to bring my own.Do your homework before you book people !!!
This resort is spotless, the people are friendly and eager to please.The grounds are very pretty and the beach is wonderful. We have no complaints about the food, it is typical of an all inclusive. The Italian restaurant " The Piccolo" is our favourite. We never waited long to get our reservations booked.
If you have booked this resort , go and have a wonderful time.
We will definitely be back !!
Thank You Royal Decameron...we had an awesome vacation :)

Room Tip: Building # 1 is close to the action so it can be noisy, but the views are amazing ! Building # 4 is...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
di40
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We have been back a few weeks now, and we are missing our pool chairs! We had another nice stay at the Decameron. Not much has changed there. The resort is constantly being painted, workers are always tending to the lawn or pruning bushes, but we thought this time that the resort is in need of a facelift - especially the rooms. For family traveling with us, the rooms were the biggest disappointment. They are very simple - no clock radio, no Kleenex, no shampoo etc, toiletries that we all have come to appreciate in hotels. Just a bed, a night table, a dresser drawer with three small drawers, 5 coat hangers in the closet and a tv. Oh and one chair. Very simple. So if you choose the Decameron, go knowing that it is no frills! Really there is not enough storage for three people in a room with three small drawers. There is a safe in the room. We paid about 340 pesos for 11 days. We were not really in our room except to shower and sleep so the simpleness of the room didn't bother us, but it did bother family with us.
The food was alright - always something was of interest to us - chicken, pork, beef, sausage most nights. Always a salad bar and nachos and cheese. Every night there is a different theme. Thursdays are fun as it Mexican Fiesta night. The workers work all day to set up for it. Although we were there over the BC Spring Break, the resort was not full. In fact, they closed restaurants on a number of occasions. The Snack bar at the front of the resort was only open 3 days out of 11 . This was about our 5th trip to the Decameron. The staff is wonderful. Always is... but the cost to stay has gone up over the years and I don't think we will go back. We will try something different next year. All in all, a good trip.

Room Tip: Block 5 is at the back of the resort and it is where they put us.. but beware.. the pool in front of...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Madison, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We have traveled to Mexico for the past 20 years, almost every winter. Booked this trip w/ Apple vacations and it was the first time that we were not impressed with our choice based on the usually reliable apple rating. The check in was done by a staff member with limited English lanuage skills. There was a table set up with paperwork in big plastic bins. This lady while smiling could not answer any question outside of the script in English which she had memorized and at one point had me wait to go and a get a welcome drink for herself ( only 2 of our party of 5 actually received the welcome drink eventhough we were all standing together, good comic relief).ex of poor check in: we got there at 3:15 PM and I was wondering if there was still lunch being served and if so, where. When I asked her how late lunch is served, she said "5" which of course was incorrect. Where to go, she pointed to the paper map and behind her and said "you can go anywhere"! At first glane the grounds are not very impressive because the buildings are scattered and there is mostly grassy areas between them. The resort is much prettier at night with beautiful lighting. Our room was the biggest dissapointment. While clean, there was no beauty. An old small TV, a wall unit air conditioner with rust stains on the wall, no fridge or toiletries or tissues or even a magnifying mirror. Water marks and rust in the stark and utilitarian concrete bathroom with old rundown tiles. Best described, we expected a Hampton Inn and got a Motel 6. The next day, I went to the front desk and asked if we could pay extra and be moved to a nicer room. Arturo ( very nice young man), said all the rooms are the same but we could ask to be in a sea view room for no extra cost. Of course no one even mentioned this at check in! So, they moved us after 2 nights to a similar room but with a beautiful view of the sea which made a big difference. The beach area, multiple pools, kind staff members, evening entertainment and specialty restaurants salvaged the rest of this vacation for us but the first 48 hours were not pleasant. Reason 1: I feel like the hotel is misrepresentd based on the current apple rating and images. Had we expected what was actually there, we would have made an informed decision and not been so shocked upon arrival. 2) The hotel management should reconsider the check in process and make it more welcoming with staff who is more capable of handling tourists who do not speak Spanish. Also, adding a fridge to the rooms and shampoo, kleenex, magnifying mirror are fairly cheap fixes to add to the overall experience for travelers. The specialty restaurants and the beach quality were amazing. It is also very nice to have mutiple pools so none of them are too loud or crowded. The beach vendors are a bit of a challenge but it is a public beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room on a higher floor at check in. Go to building 4 lobby area at 7:15 AM to lin...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Just returned from our 5th trip to Royal de Cameron. We are boring but we just like everything about this resort so we keep returning. The only thing I wish they could do different is the way to book the a la carte dinners but that is a minor thing. Hubby went on the Outdoor Adventure this time and was a bit nervous but he had a wonderful time zip lining, rappelling, riding a mule, etc. and I was quite comfortable staying at the resort, having a margarita and doing my Xword puzzles! Was a bit different weather wise this trip as we usually go the 2nd week of December.
I am sure we will return again next year.

Room Tip: We like Block 5 or 6.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

My boyfriend and I took our first trip together to this resort. We were in block 6 , and delighted to find the bar and the pool right outside our door. The staff overall were friendly , funny and very helpful.
We went to Bucerias 20 min walk and found this restaurant that had this band called "Flamingos" that played flamenco music , it was wonderful..
The buffets were good, better than most buffets that I have been to.
The Brazilian A la Carte was very good, and the Italian one was amazing. Do NOT eat at the Japanese restaurant, it is horrible and not anything like Japanese food. They really need to get a Japanese Chef there !
The beach is amazing and we walked 5 miles every day. The chairs at the pool are very very uncomfortable but if you buy a 7 dollar raft it is the best money you have ever spent. Floating in the pool is so great.
There are many excursions although we didn't do any of them , we heard Rhythm of the Night is supposed to be fantastic. The sunset and the sky is beautiful.
I would recommend this hotel .

Room Tip: Blocks 5 and 6 are quiet but not on the beach however beach is a 5 minute walk.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bucerias
Hotel Decameron Los Cocos
Hotel Riu Vallarta
Hotel Riu Vallarta
#11 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.0 of 5 stars 3,246 reviews

Been to Royal Decameron Complex? Share your experiences!