“Perfect relaxing getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lazaro Cardenas 150, Bucerias 63732, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bucerias
winnipeg
“Perfect relaxing getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

My boyfriend and I took our first trip together to this resort. We were in block 6 , and delighted to find the bar and the pool right outside our door. The staff overall were friendly , funny and very helpful.
We went to Bucerias 20 min walk and found this restaurant that had this band called "Flamingos" that played flamenco music , it was wonderful..
The buffets were good, better than most buffets that I have been to.
The Brazilian A la Carte was very good, and the Italian one was amazing. Do NOT eat at the Japanese restaurant, it is horrible and not anything like Japanese food. They really need to get a Japanese Chef there !
The beach is amazing and we walked 5 miles every day. The chairs at the pool are very very uncomfortable but if you buy a 7 dollar raft it is the best money you have ever spent. Floating in the pool is so great.
There are many excursions although we didn't do any of them , we heard Rhythm of the Night is supposed to be fantastic. The sunset and the sky is beautiful.
I would recommend this hotel .

Room Tip: Blocks 5 and 6 are quiet but not on the beach however beach is a 5 minute walk.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
Wakefield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

As UK residents, we have waited nearly 9 years for the British Tour operators to go back to this resort. Yes, the rooms are basic, so what I don't spend my holiday in my room. For those who have never spent their holiday(vacation to some) in Spain, let me tell you, this hotel is fantastic. All inclusive in Spain means one buffet restaurant, and if you're lucky one A la Carte, which for certain foods you have to pay that extra. You don't get fridges in your rooms unless its 4/5 star, and then this is hit and miss with most hotels. One pool is all you get. They don't give you pool towels. Meals are at certain times, and the snacks in between are burgers/ham sandwiches which have been left out in the sun for 2/3 hours. The attitude with most of the hotel staff in Europe is that they are doing you a favour by serving you and cooking your meals. The choices are abysmal compared to this hotel. Oh and by the way, drinking stops at 11.00pm and the staff are cleaning up why you are still sat there. This is typical of anywhere in Spain, France, Italy, Greece etc. So please don't moan about this resort. Until you have truly experienced All Inclusive in Spain, etc this is luxury compared to there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New Westminster, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

My teenage daughter and I went to Bucerias for a week over Spring Break. At the recommendation of some friends, and the decent reviews on TripAdvisor, we booked at the Royal Decameron. I thought, given that it was Spring Break, the place would be crazy busy, but it was just perfect. Enough action to keep things interesting, but no problem getting a lounge chair or food & drink without waiting. The staff throughout the resort were amazing. Not a single negative impression from the people. The rooms and infrastructure were clean but basic. The food in the buffets was okay but nothing spectacular. We felt the dinners in the bookable restaurants much better, in particular Piccolo, the Italian restaurant - don't miss it. We hung out at all the pools, finding each one unique with a different vibe. We also spent a lot of time at the beach enjoying the surf and buggy boarding. We would have liked it if they kept one of the pools open into the evening as we like swimming at night. That would be the only recommendation for the resort. The massage 'promotions' were great . I had a 50 minute massage for $20, and it was good!
The town of Bucerias was quieter than I thought but we walked into town (15 min walk) a few times - day and night. There is a market with fairly assertive vendors but they are quite funny. There is a night market for food if you want to experiment a bit.
I would definitely recommend the Vallarta Adventures day trip to Isla Marietas ($79 and worth it). Both my daughter and I loved everything about it - the crew, whales, dolphins, swimming, beach, birds. You can book it at the hotel. See separate review. Also recommend day trip (or more) to Sayulita, 45 minutes north by public bus. Cool little surf town with lots of good eats.
We will be back - maybe not annually as so many others seem to do, but if you are looking for a reasonably priced resort holiday that you don't have to put much thought into, this is it!

Room Tip: We stayed one night in Block 5 and felt it was too quite and far away from the beach so we moved to...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Don't be put off by the fact that this resort is less expensive than others. There is nothing wrong with it. It is NOT a 5-star and doesn't claim to be, so if you are looking for luxury, this is not the place for you. However, if you're seeking a spot to simply relax on the beach or around a pool for a week or so, this is a good choice. It is scrupulously clean and out of the seven Mexican all-inclusives where we have stayed, it is the friendliest resort by far. Read the other reviews about which block to request depending on your needs.

Room Tip: Blocks 4 and 5 are in quieter areas.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

My wife and I and another couple first visited the RD 8 years ago, on our first trip to Mexico. We really thought that we lucked in, because we didn't realize that we weren't really in PV, but rather in the beautiful small town of Bucerias. We really liked the RD then,....and weren't disappointed this time. We were in Block 6, which is a short walk to the beach, but is away from the activities and really quiet. The rooms were very nice, and kept spotless.
If you haven't been before, the RD is on a large tract of land, and consists of 6 low rise buildings, each with it's own pool, and pretty much it's own bar as well. The grounds are beautifully manicured, and the buildings are kept spotless, with workers cleaning and painting and updating constantly. The staff are consistently friendly, always greeting you with "hola" when passing by. The food is varied, and is standard all inclusive fare. But you definitely not go hungry, and will always be able to find something good to eat.
Please remember that although you are in an all-inclusive, don't forget to tip the staff when serving you. 10-20 pesos a day for the room maids, 10-20 pesos for the waiters, and 10 pesos for the bartenders every couple of drinks. It is a small addition, but means so much to them!
Don't forget to make the 20 minute walk to Bucerias, and visit the bars and restaurants there. There are lots on the walk there as well. Try Le Bistrot, for a fantastic French meal,...the pepper steak is to die for! The Red Apple, just before the bridge to town, is a friendly place to have a cold cerveza, and you can look down on the street activity from the 2nd floor vantage.
We will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I stayed at the Royal Decameron Complex 3 years ago for a mother/daughter trip. I have to say I absolutely loved this placed. I am now heading back with my husband for our 10 year anniversary and am so excited.

Don't listen to any of the negative reviews. This is not a 5 star resort nor does it claim to be. Those that go expecting a 5 star should book a 5 star. Keep in mind you are going to Mexico where they speak Spanish. If you want them to speak English you should stay in an English speaking country.

The rooms are very basic but spotlessly clean. The beds are comfortable. The room doesn't come with coffee makers or mini fridges which was not a big deal for me. If it is for you, you could always bring a small coffee maker with you and they do provide an ice bucket.

There are six blocks. Building 1,2 & 3 are ocean view. There is a cobble stone street that runs through the resort dividing the first 3 blocks from 4,5 & 6. Each block has it's own pool. Block 5 is the adult pool. It was a 5 minute walk from block 6 to the beach. Not a long walk at all.

The food was really good. We ate at the buffet mainly but did try the Italian which was fantastic. The only issue I had was with the booking of the Ala Cartes is you would have to get up early and stand in line to book for the same day or at 3pm to book for the next day. I would have liked to try the other restaurants but unfortunately didn't get the chance. I will this time for sure!

The entertainment was incredible! I have been to higher rated resorts in the Dominican and must say that this resorts entertainment blew them out of the water. They were so amazing and professional. We went every night except where I had a few too many margarita and was visiting the tidy bowl man. LOL.

As I was there with my 73 year old mother we didn't get to walk the beach as she has mobility issues so I can't comment but have heard you can walk for miles. I plan to do that this time.

Some people complain that it is not like home. So here is a tip for free STAY HOME! Others complained that they didn't get an oceanview room even though it was their anniversary. Well I am going for my anniversary and guess what? I booked an Ocean view room. Amazing how that works.

Like anything if you go with an open mind you will have a great time. Don't let the little things ruin your trip. If you don't get the room you booked just tell the desk and they will fix it for you. We need a ground floor room for my mom but they booked us in a third floor. I just asked them to please move us. They did ask if we could take a seat while they booked everyone in which was fine. The resort was serving this wonderful fruit juice so we sipped that for 20 minutes while we waited. No big deal. There was a man who had also booked a ground floor and was so upset that he had to wait. Really upset already and you have only been there for 10 minutes.

Keep in mind that these people work for about half of what we do in Canada and the US. They do it with a smile and should be shown respect. I have heard people yell at them over stupid things. Try to put yourself in their place and imagine how you would feel if someone started screaming in your face. You have paid for this vacation but that does not give you the right to treat them like they are your servants. Just chill out and enjoy.

Room Tip: Block 5 is adult pool. Block 6 is very quite at night. Block 1, 2, & 3 are ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Québec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Just got back from a great week at the royal decameron complex..our second time..might be shooting myself in the foot praising this place too much..and they'll raise the rates like crazy..lol..but..i gotta be honest..the staff..the grounds..the food..were all excellent..the rooms were very clean..comfortable..i heard someone say ..it wasnt a 5 star...well buddy..you didnt PAY for a 5 star...so dont expect it..having 5 pools is amazing..the adult pool was always quiet..lots of chairs and shade at the pools or beach..yea..the chairs are pretty uncomfortable..the only thing that could be improved on in my opinion...would be on inconsidarate visitors...and yes..they come in ALL nationalities..the people that come in yelling at all hours of the night..just saying..your not the only ones paying for your vacation..thanks again Royal decameron for a super stay..

Room Tip: might sound stupid..but buying an air matress for your beach chair could make or break your vacation
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!