This is our 2nd time vacationing in PV. The first time was back in last May/early June of 2005. Like last time, this time we stayed at the RDC in Bucerias – just north of PV.
What a nice surprise to see that they have renovated the place – and I mean major renovation.
1. They have a new, permanent guest check-in counter at Block 2.
2. The old internet room has been knocked down and replaced by a lobby bar. And because of that, a la carte dinner reservation is now done at the counter at Block 4.
3. There are 4 internet terminals: 2 at the Block 2 lobby and another 2 at the Block 4 lobby.
4. Block 6 is a new addition since our last visit. The Piccolo Restaurant has been re-located from Block 4 to Block 6. Adjacent to it is the Mexicana Restaurant.
5. There is a spa called Temascal in Block 6 as well.
Make no mistake about it, this is NOT a 5-star resort. However, with all the “hardware” upgrades, this is deemed to be a 4 star resort.
We do find that the quality of food has improved since our last visit. No more “divorced chickens” or “wired beef”! The presentation of dishes at the Piccolo was remarkable.
As usual, the grounds are still very well maintained. Always saw their crew watering or trimming the plants and wiping and cleaning the floors.
We have no major issues with the resort. However, we just have two smaller ones which I think is room for their improvement:
1. Housekeeping – can be late at times. We may be picky as we do expect rooms to be made up by noon time. However, for a couple of days, the maid did not come until afternoon. What we were told was that their priority was to make up those rooms which were checked out that day.
2. Switched off air-conditioners. When we finally got to our room after check-in, we found our that the air-con was not turned on. So the room was really stuffy and hot. So we had to turned on the air-con and headed out for dinner before coming back into the room. Fortunately with the new Block 6, the relatively new air-conditioner cooled the room quite fast. And unlike the traditional air-conditioners in the older blocks, these “segregated body” models (which the compressors are segregated units from the fans in the rooms) are actually much quieter. I guess the maids turned off the air-con’s after they cleaned up a checked-out room.
Other Trip Advisors have commented about smell of urine in the rooms. When we got into our room, I thought it was the smell of stale (or old) potpourri … but one day while I was inside our room when the maid came to clean up, I finally realized what it was: The smell is actually from the floor cleaner that the maid uses to wipe the floor! So, if you notice that smell, it actually means that the floors are clean!
Also another issue which I promised to report back - “Security Cops”: Yes, there was security guards patrolling the pools as well. However, we did find them quite polite. I spent extra time trying to see if they “bug” any guests for “mishaps” like taking their drinks into the pools … but I saw no incidents.
Other things worth mentioning off-site:
1. There were 2 time share kiosks – one right at the corner opposite to the complex and another one off that intersection on the street leading you to the Bucerias village.
2. I think the internet café and exchange kiosk has changed hands (used to be owned by JoJo). The place is still there. For internet, they are 50% cheaper than what is offered inside the resort … but it is just a small room. No air-con, just a fan. So you have to stand the heat if you are going there in the afternoon.
3. OXXO and the pharmacy on the hilltop is really handy. But we find that the pharmacy has more selection of stuff than OXXO. YES, they do not have bath gel at the pharmacy. You may need to try the MEGA just opposite the Flamingo golf course (2 bus stops away from the resort – PV bound). We were not at that MEGA but we saw bath gel at the MEGA inside the Marina Shopping Centre (just south of the airport).
4. If you want to go downtown, forget about taking the taxi (too expensive) or the hotel shuttle bus (always not enough people signing up). We twice took the local buses. Just walk up the road to the hilltop where the main highway is, there is a bus stop. The fare is just 10 pesos (~US$1). On the return trip, the bus will stop right on the opposite side of the road. If you are lucky, you will have live entertainment on the bus as well!
RDC, another well-spent and well-rested vacation – 2nd time around.
**again, change the "(DOT)" to a "."
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Decameron Complex composed of three hotel units: Flamingos, Tropical and Royal, is located 20 minutes from Puerto Vallarta International Airport on the most exciting and extensive beach of the beautiful Bay of Banderas in the typical Mexican town of Bucerias in Riviera Nayarit. The colorful architecture of the Royal Decameron Complex offers 5 swimming pools, 4 of which are suitable for children, and long stretch of beach where you can enjoy different activities, non-motorized water sports and bar services. You can also enjoy a large number of buffet and a la carte options with specialized restaurants including: JAP JAP, Wok, MexicanoFusion, Piccolo and Steak House, among others. We also offer 6 bars along the beach and beside the swimming pools. The Royal Decameron Complex also has other installations like the Vallarta disco, 3 tennis courts, one soccer pitch and a fun Kids Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Royal Decameron Complex reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Decameron Vallarta
- Royal Decameron Hotel
- Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta Bucerias
- Royal Decameron Mexico
- Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta Mexico
- Royal Decameron Complex Puerto Vallarta
- Royal De Cameron
- Royal Decameron Nuevo Vallarta
- Royal Decameron Puerto Vallarta Hotel
- Puerto Vallarta Royal Decameron