“A great holiday!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Complex

You added Royal Decameron Complex to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Complex
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lazaro Cardenas 150 | Riviera de Nayarit, Bucerias 63732, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bucerias
GreenLeadersGold level
di40
“A great holiday!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We have just returned from two weeks at the Royal Decameron Complex in Bucerias. We have been to this resort in the past and I have to say that it has only gotten better. The service was amazing -from the front desk staff to the animation team to the servers in the restaurants - we have absolutely no complaints! The first week was quite loud as there were 250 drunk teens at the resort. They were loud and took over the bar areas. The resort is so geared to families that I was surprised that the Decameron allowed them on the property. I heard a lot of people say that they would not return because of this. There are so many other properties where the kids can go to party. Apart from this, the vacation was great. We loved the steak house and the Italian restaurant. We never tried the other a la carte restaurants. I see other posts about the rooms needing updating - they may need a facelift, but really all we needed was a dresser to put clothes in and a bed. The rooms are extremely clean and the resort is spotless. Remember this is not a 5 star resort - not like the Princess or Barceló chains by any comparison. You only need a place to crash for the night as you are so busy in the day. There is not an alarm clock in the room nor shampoo etc. Bring your own and you will be just fine. We heard people complain about this for sure, but who goes on holidays to use the tiny bottles of shampoo anyways! We stayed in Block 1 and loved it = right central to everything. The walk to Bucerias takes about 20 min and the market is there. Cab ride costs 50 pesos to come back to the resort. We would not hesitate to recommend this resort to friends and family. Thanks to all at the Decameron for a wonderful holiday! Wish we were still there!

Room Tip: Block 5 and 6 are very quiet areas. Block 1 is right on the beach, with a pool on either side of th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (845)
Alt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The entire resort, including the rooms, is spotless.
The buffet food is good, with changing choices and variety. We preferred them to the specialty restaurants that were "set menu" rather than a la carte. If you like Japanese food, stay away from the Jap Jap The meal started with mushi sushi and went downhill from there. This was probably the worst meal that we have ever had in Mexico. The Brazilian restaurant was better, but the set meal was served one piece at at time with no choice.
In the spotless room was a TV, phone, and hairdryer. Missing from what I would consider a 4* - shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, fridge with beverages and snacks, resort directory, paper & pen, alarm clock and modern safe. (you pay $25/week for a safe key). It took us three calls to get a remote for the TV and a second chair for the balcony.
Several people told us that the evening shows were good, but nothing was posted to say what was being shown each evening. Also, we did not find out that the two lobbies had Wi-fi until day five of our stay. We had paid for internet.
The bars were great, especially Cesar's, but no swim-up bar or poolside/beach service.
Great beach for swimming, but no good for snorkeling.
Overall a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: There are six buildings, number one being the oldest and closest to the water, six the newest and fu...
Ladysmith, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We had a great time in Bucerias at the Royal Decameron! We loved it! It was the perfect place to go with our two teenagers.

This is what we loved about it:
- close to the quaint Mexican town of Bucerias (20 min. walk along beach or road)
- excellent food with amazing selection (2 buffet restaurants, 4 or 5 reservation restaurants)
- beautiful beach
- clean rooms
- outstanding entertainment shows every night
- very friendly and helpful staff

It was fairly busy because of spring break, especially the last few days. The last two days there were probably 50% mexican families and it was starting to get harder to find a chair by the pool. We enjoyed meeting the Mexicans and felt that it contributed to the cultural experience we were looking for.

I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone!

Room Tip: We had requested Block 6 because of adjoining rooms and what we had read in other reviews, but we fo...
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

In short; this place has some great staff who love being there, and some staff who clearly just resent it. The rooms, from what I saw, were for the most part average and decent. The room I had was aged, and there was a bat that would come in through the cracks in the ceiling, I asked twice to move or have help getting it out, but I was just ignored like they didn`t know what I was talking about. Drinks were average (no top shelf), food was average, and overall the grounds are well kept.
My only advice is that you can find better in PVR for the same price...

P.S.
As is becoming the norm in Mexico, you have to pay to use the room safe.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We travelled from March 20-27 with Nolitours. Three kids (9, 13 and 24) and my husband and I.

Caution: If you are planning to go to this resort, or any other with your children, make sure S-Trip is not there! We had a few days of hundreds of drunk teens, most were great, but those with extraordinarily foul mouths were a disgrace to themselves and their famililes, dumped people's stuff off their beach/pool chairs, got into fist fights etc. I DID NOT expect or appreciate my children being exposed to the f-bomb everywhere we went. This has never been a problem and we have travelled a great deal with the kids. I was stunned. Many of the families that have been going to this resort for over 10 years are now not going back due to this group of poorly supervised drunks that took over the resort for spring break. Decameron made a HUGE mistake allowing that tour company into their property. I'm serious... make sure s-trip is NOT there if you have kids. You don't want them witnessing that sort of public behaviour.

Once those kids left, the place was great. Very laid back and fun. Lots to do for everyone.

2nd Lesson we learned: Easter week is a HUGE vacation period in Mexico, so the last part of our trip the resort was packed to the gills, oversold in fact, with nationals. My kids enjoyed meeting and playing with kids who spoke spanish, practiced their french with kids from quebec, and enjoyed the business of the pool and beach with lots of kids. Easter is not the week to travel in Mexico if you want a quiet vacation!

Those who complain about food at this resort, have NOT been to a Mexican resort with bad food. I have two rather picky eaters, and they had lots to choose from. We have the rule that you try it and if you don't like it, get something else. They try a lot, leave a lot, and get new stuff. Some of the Mexican food that looks gross, actually tastes quite good. The sandwich bakery is fantastic, the guacamole is to die for, fresh baked nacho chips hot out of the oven, fresh salsa, super breakfast stations, as always I know that no matter what there will be great omlets freshly cooked, fried eggs and bacon, toast and fruit. The fresh baked bread was delicious. We always take Ducarol before 3rd world vacations, so don't worry about what we eat. The al a cartes were fine, my favorite was the thai but not enough food for the men in the group. The Mexican was not good due to very tough meat. I liked the quite breakfast nook by pool 5 the best, but the kids liked the big buffets.

We stayed in block 6 as this is the only block with connecting rooms, so the kids were in the room next door. We had a king, and the kids had two double beds. The rooms are fine, and those that complain have not travelled extensively in Mexico. It was a bit of a walk, 5 mins max, to the beach and buffets, and I didn't mind it, but the kids would have preferred to be in block 3 or 4. I preferred to have the connecting door. The pool by block 6 has a nice shallow wading area for little kids, and the drinks were the best at that pool! People who complain about these rooms have NOT travelled extensively in Mexico. They are better than typical. The beds are fine, not as ROCK HARD as many mexican beds. We have been in hotels in San Diego where the kids have said: "we have to sleep here?" and so if you want to stay in a pristine place, don't go to mexico! The kids did not like that there was a public road that they had to cross to get to block six, even though it was very quiet, it made them not feel secure so we would cut through block five. They did not go back to the room without us, which we don't allow even at 5 stars with security guards with guns!!

Other lesson learned: Although the brochure said "kids club" it isn't a kids club, it is activities. This is a huge difference if you have kids, because you cannot leave the resort and drop your kids off in the club. You sign them in for an activity and then pick them up. Usually my son likes to go to the club instead of into town shopping etc, but we were unable to because of the structure. They don't take them to the buffet for lunch, so you must be there to get them. Jenny, the leader was great, but it really is not what we expected for a 'kids club', so I know to watch for this next vacation.

I missed the coffee pot in the room, but this could have been solved if I'd brought travel mugs and my husband could have gone for coffee for us while I read in bed in the am. I missed waiters serving at the palapas and by the pool, although I got a bit more exercise by having to get up for my own drinks!! lol The kids missed a dedicated fruit bar, that they'd expeirenced at Now resorts in Punta Cana, and they missed not being able to bring their nachos or burgers etc to the beach/pool. You are supposed to eat in the restaurants only, although we did sneak out a hotdog from the snack bar once. Apparently it was the best hotdog they ever tasted!!

The massages at the beach were fantastic, I went to the 2nd tent North, ask for Alma. If you say, mucho, you get the most wicked massage...if you are there for massage and not just a rub!! But the sound of the surf and the aroma therapy... loved it! 20 bucks well spent.

The weather was great, and there was a continuous breeze at the beach which made the 30 degrees plus bearable. When we were in Loretto that temp was too hot for me with no breeze.

Final lesson, if your bracelet has even a nick, get it changed at the front desk. My daughter's had a tear, and they replaced it. My son's had a nick and so we thought it would be fine, but he lost it in the rough waves on the last day of the trip, and still there was going to be a charge.. 450 pessos, but they reduced it to 360 as it was less than 24 hrs before we left. Check your bracelets daily for wear, and get them replaced at any sign of cracking.

Room Tip: 6314 has really iffy air conditioning, but the connecting room 6313 had great air conditioning. They...
brighton, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

After looking at some of the pictures of the resort I was worried that it would be run down. When we first got to the resort I was still a little skeptical. We are use to the bigger resorts. The rooms are in a desperate need of updating. With that being said, everything was very clean. After the first night we realized that we was going to actually like it here. Everyone is so nice and helpful. Bartenders were great. Anytime we wanted extra alchol in the drinks we just asked and they had no problem doing it. The food was ok. Not always a lot of variety but never went hungry. We ate at the Italian and Brazilian restaurants and they both were great. Every night they had a few vendors set up on the property. None of them were pushy even the beach vendors didnt bother us.
If you want free wifi you can go out the front gate and at the sports bar across the street, buy you a drink and he will give you the code for the wifi. After you have it you can be at the front of the resort and use it anytime.
If you like shopping you can go right outside the resort and walk through town. Very safe no one bugs you. Neat place. You can also take a cab to the flea market. its about a mile down the rd. it cost $5 us for up to 4 people each way. I highly recommend going .

The ocean isnt as pretty as the Gulf side but its still nice and no seaweed. it can get windy sometimes.

Overall we loved the resort I would just like to see the rooms get updated and a little more variety in the buffets. The staff is excelent and I would recommened going with a open mind and you will have a blast.

Room Tip: Block 1 is ocean front. Blocks 5 and 6 are in the Adult section which is quieter. We had block 4 and...
kelowna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This was our first visit to the resort. We just cannot say enough about it. There is just a good vibe about the place. We would know as my husband lost his wallet or it fell out of the knapsack while we were at the pool. As soon as we reported it missing and described the wallet, the location, etc. the wallet with ALL of the contents was handed over to us! This was after we had read of all of the reports on trip advisor of things missing, etc!
We loved how spread out it was so that it did not feel congested even though it was busy. There were so many pools, bars, and restaurants to discover. There was even a pool for adults who would enjoy some quiet time. There was always a chair available to enjoy time with a favorite beverage by the pool.. The walks along the beach, the massages on the beach, even the walk into Bucherias via the quiet road with many shops and restaurants to explore were an experience. The staff was wonderful! Just everyone there was so friendly! We just loved every minute that we were there. It was an amazing week! We hope to return!

Room Tip: We loved Block 4. It was steps to the ocean, or pool, or the buffet! However, we often went to Blo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Decameron Complex? Share your experiences!