“Great "bang for your buck"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Complex

You added Royal Decameron Complex to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Complex
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lazaro Cardenas 150 | Riviera de Nayarit, Bucerias 63732, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bucerias
Vancouver, Canada
“Great "bang for your buck"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

My wife and I just returned from a week (March 14th – 21st) at the Royal Decameron. We had a great time! We loved the property. The grounds were beautiful and we have dozens of pictures of nothing but vegetation. Most of what I have to say echoes the comments and reviews I’ve read on Travel Advisor (thanks to everyone for all the accurate information), but I’ll say it anyway. I’ll try not to be too long-winded, but here are some comments divided into groups:

The room

Our room was simple, but clean and quite large. The bed was very, very firm and not particularly comfortable, but we were usually so tired at the end of the day that we zonked out anyway. The housekeeping service was good, though we did have to leave a note after a day or two asking for bottles of water. Water was left in our room every day after that. We were in building four, which suited us just right. There was very little noise and we were close to a buffet, bars, the lobby and not too far from the beach or pools.

The beach

The beach was great. I’ve never been to Mexico before, so I can’t really compare the beach to other places, but we walked the beach to Bucerias and found the RDC’s beach to be nicer than pretty much any spot along the way. Similarly, we traveled along the coast near Nuevo Vallarta and Puerta Vallarta a couple of times and didn’t see any beaches that looked any better to us. In fact, the water at the RDC’s beach looked much, much cleaner than the beaches in Nuevo and PV. There were lots of chairs, even though way too many inconsiderate people heap their stuff on a chair and leave it empty for the next four hours. That said, we never went without chairs in the shade of a palapa when we wanted them. The water was fairly warm and the (attempted) boogie boarding was a blast. Again, in our experience there were plenty of boards to go around and we never waited.

The food

The one complaint I’ve read time and again about this resort is that the food isn’t very good. In our experience, most of the time this was not the case. We ate at the buffet near our room, I can’t remember the name, but it was very near the smaller lobby where buildings 4, 5 and 6 check out and where there are two internet terminals. We ate at the other buffet once, but this meal wasn’t very good. It could have been an off day though, because for the most part the buffets were quite acceptable. The a la carte restaurants we ate at, however, were very good. We ate at the Piccolo twice and at the Rodizio once. The Piccolo is fairly standard Italian fair, but good. The setting is lovely, but if it’s only two of you for dinner, get there early or you’ll have to share a table for four. However, we shared a table our first time there, and we met a very nice couple and drank wine and talked until they closed the restaurant. I’ve read several complaints about the Rodizio, particularly that it isn’t really a steakhouse. This is certainly true – it’s not a steakhouse, but it is no less good for that. We loved this place. The setting is great and the food was very good. But if you don’t like meat, and lots of it, this is NOT the place for you. We had no problem getting reservations for either place and never waited in line to do so. During the day, the Rodizio doubles as a snack bar serving pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos, etc. It’s a good place to catch some quick, but not gourmet junk food.

Drinks

Plentiful. The bartenders were generally great and more than generous in pouring drinks, whether you wanted strength or volume. When I ordered drinks, I was usually asked how many I wanted. The only bad drink I got was from the disco, where I got margueritas with virtually no tequila. But, over the course of a week, a couple lousy drinks is pretty darn good I’d say. I very rarely waited more than thirty seconds for a drink and the bartenders were very friendly.

Entertainment

We thought the entertainment was good. It was cheesy, but that was one of its primary virtues. There was music or karaoke or something going on every night by the activities pool and the nightly shows (we saw three) outside the disco were very funny. Ramona is such a star (you’ll see what I mean ;)! All the entertainment staff were very good and a lot of fun. There didn’t seem to be much in the way of night life on the resort. It got pretty quiet after about ten, so if you’re looking for an all night party, this may not be the best place for you.

Activities and excursions

Definitely go off the resort. Bucerias is a great little town. We went horseback riding with Charlie and saw much of the town. It was one of the highlights of our trip. Just head down the beach a little (in the opposite direction of Bucerias) and you’ll find Raoul, Charlie and the gang with their horses. Raoul asked for $60 for two of us, but pretty quickly agreed to 500 pesos, so I probably paid a little too much. ;) Whatever the case, it was well worth it.

Take the public bus to Puerta Vallarta. It is really easy, cheap and can even be kind of an adventure. It’s a 22 dollar cab ride or a 20 pesos bus ride.

We booked two tours through Scott’s Tours (I highly recommend using them if you’re going. They saved us a lot of money compared to the tours on offer at the resort. Just email him ahead of time and he’ll hook you up): We went to Yelapa on the Princessa Yelapa. It was great!! Breakfast, lunch, open bar, and a guided walk up the falls for 30 or 35 dollars a person. Our guide Dennis was super awesome! Be sure to lay a good tip on these guys – they earn it!

Our other trip was the highly acclaimed Rhythms of the Night. The dinner was great, the setting was absolutely spectacular, and the show was amazing. One caveat – the ride there was on a catamaran (with Vallarta Adventures) and was very, very rough. It could have just been the day, but if you’re prone to sea sickness, I’d think long and hard about this excursion. The boat we were on had many people that were very sick; so much so that they couldn’t even enjoy the lovely dinner (I, however, enjoyed it very much).

Shopping

Ok, I already wrote way more than I intended. Can you tell we had a great time? Check out the markets in Bucerias, but do be careful. We were asked to pay 380 pesos for things we saw for 70 pesos in PV. Nearly everyone we bartered with, however, was very friendly and (I think) we got some pretty good deals. Make sure you travel a little past the main market area and check out the Huichol art store. It’s amazing art.

Almost done….A couple of quick tips

• The HSBC bank is pretty close, but there is a bank just a block or so from the resort entrance (next to the Oxxo) that we used a few times. There is also a machine in the Oxxo and one just outside the main entrance. Both of these are swipe style machines, so you don’t have to worry about losing your card. I used these and paid reasonable fees (a few dollars).
• The internet café just outside the resort (next to the ATM) is cheaper than in the resort and we never had to wait.
• Don’t sit near the front or on an aisle if you don’t want to participate in the show! Or, alternatively, sit there if you do!! It looked like a lot of fun (for somebody else!)
• When you get off the plane, clear customs and walk through first set of glass doors DO NOT STOP AND TALK TO THESE PEOPLE. They are timeshare sharks and will lie to you, saying you have to check in with them. Put your head down, pass them by and go through the next set of doors – there you will find your tour rep or taxis.
• Before leaving, I decided not to load up on US dollars, as it seems quite sensible to use local currency for things like tipping. In theory, this is a great idea, but it was like pulling teeth trying to get small bills and coins (ten and twenty pesos) for tipping. There were times when I wanted to tip, but couldn’t because I had a wallet full of 100 or 200 peso bills that I couldn’t break without buying something I didn’t want. Next time, I’ll be bringing a bundle of American singles.

That’s my essay. We loved the resort and would definitely think about going back – the resort, the town, and everything were great. Adios!

• Liked — Beautiful grouns, the beach, and being away from the 'hotel zone.'
  • Disliked — Very hard bed, not much to do later at night
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2008

My wife and I visited Royal Decameron last May and will be flying out there for another 14 days this April 2008. I have read a number of reviews and thought my wife and I should share our great experiences and some suggestions we learned along the way.

Beach/Pools:

Lots of lounger style chairs available on the beach and poolside (they use the same style) they are nice and solid but if you plan to lie on the beach all day and drink your favorite beverage as I did you might find them a little hard. Hint: Bring an inflatable air mattress with you, throw it on the chair and voila! You have instant comfort. If you don't want to lug one with you can purchase plain ones at the little store across from the cash exchange by Block 4. Beaches are cleaned and groomed nightly. All chairs are lined up evenly overnight but feel free to drag them anywhere you want during the day to catch the best view. Hint: Bring LOTS of sunscreen before you get there. You can purchase it locally but it is VERY expensive (about $16 - 20 US bottle if you purchase on site)

Watersports:

Kayaks and boogie boards are available for free by booking them directly on the beach. Best time to get a kayak: about 9:30. You can book them for a half hour at a time and if you go out at this time you are likely to see and kayak with (as we did) with dolphins. I believe the complex also organizes group kayak tours in the morning to follow the dolphins. You can also book a catamaran and they will give you a ride out (they drive you sit and enjoy the experience)

Boogie boards are a blast and we had lots of fun riding the small waves in. If you don't like wind get on the beach mid morning to early afternoon as an on shore breeze starts to pick up by late afternoon.

There is a guy that shows up beside the resort beachside that rents sea doos and parasailing he charged an average $50 for parasailing and about the same for a jet ski (45 mins to an hour on the water)

Hint: Beside the kayak bookings there is a table set up where you can buy pottery fairly cheaply, you can paint them right there. The guy takes them away cleans them up, shellac them and brings them back for you the next day. Everyone from kids to seniors was doing this and it was a nice memento to take home.

Best bar on the beach: We found the best bar was the one by Block 4. It is on the edge of the property and less travelled it seems so you don't have to wait too long and folks don't seem to cut in line like they do at the other two.

Best Block: We stayed in Block (3 very noisy due to a service road running along it where staff would roll very noisy carts along the concrete) we also stayed in Block 6 and Block 4. Watch out for block 6! I have heard lots of folks comment about how great the block is but we were put in a room that had an adjoining door to another room. The door was locked but we could hear simple conversations. We ended up in block 4 and this was by far the quietest. Hint: Check out the "Iguana tree" behind block 4 use the stairs next to the cashier’s area. In the palm tree you'll find a family of 5 iguanas. They hang out there all day. Rooms were pretty plain but who spends time in your room right? Beds were pretty firm but we always had hot water and clean sheets (make sure you tip the maids a few U.S. $ if you can. You'll find they'll fashion your hand towels into art if you do!!)
Don't drink the water from the taps, they leave you bottled water in the room. Also at check in make sure you ask for a remote control for your TV in the room.

Food:

Food was awesome! Buffets were always full of food. If you like omelets there is a person who will cook to order... lots of bacon sausages for the meat eaters, lots of fruit and veggies for the folks that were not.

Al A Carts: We found the best alacarts were the Rodizio and the Piccolo. Rodizio is Brazilian where they bring many skewers of different and cut it on your plate right at your table (make sure you have an appetite for this place!)

Piccolo is a Mediterranean style place where they dress up. Air conditioned on the inside but we found the best place was to sit outside on the patio. The servers dress up there. They really make you feel like you are in a fancy restaurant and food is great.

There is also a Mexican alacart next to the Piccolo. Very good food. There too. We had enchiladas and they covered them in a sauce that made the dish look like the Mexican flag.

There is also a Japanese and Thai alacart. They server sushi at the Japanese. We aren't keen on sushi so not fair for us to comment on that. We didn't eat at the Thai either but looked pretty busy. Best place to book ala carts (you can go as many times as you want as long as you book them ) you can book at either the shop where the internet cafe is (across from the main check in lobby or by block 4. We found the best place was at block 4...again not as busy as the internet cafe was.

Entertainment: The resort has lots of onsite entertainment. I think Thursdays is Mexican night (be prepared for roaming Mexican bands playing various sounds in the buffets and ala carts while you eat) Also Tequila seems to flow freely everywhere!

There is a disco on site and they have regular shows throughout the week there. You can also book out bicycles from the resort beside the disco if you like as well.

Shopping: There are vendors that will sell to you right on the
Beach. But you can find flea market style vendors just down the beach in a small town called Bucerias. It is about a 25 minute walk down the beach (north of the complex) To get there go to the beach and simply turn right and walk until you see the vendors (you'll pass by a few beachside restaurants first).Hint: make sure you bring pesos. Vendors will take both US money and pesos but will not provide great exchange rates. It’s better to haggle in pesos!

Also in Bucerias is tour guide called Scott's tours www.scottstoursbucerias.com he'll set you up with the best tours at a fair price. But don't worry if you don't want to walk there you can also book tours right at royal decameron beside the ping pong tables (near rodizio)

Phoning Home. We would recommend you buy a calling card and use a pay phone that is located at the entrance to the complex to call home. It is the cheapest way for you to call.

Overall we found Royal Decameron to be very reasonable priced and there was lots to see and do. We liked it so much we are going back again in April.

Hope you find this review useful and enjoy RDC!

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Hard beds
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Duncan, vancouver island canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2008

The resort is beautifull. Check in a breeze. We had two rooms as there were 8 of us. We were given a double and king room. They did not have another room so put in two rollaway cots. We had a cot in other room as well and no extra charge. The staff very friendly for the most part. We found the service hit and mss in the largest buffet. We tipped. The staff in snack bar were the most attentive by far.We did not like the food. We ate in snack bar a lot. Breakfasts were the best, lots of choices, made to order eggs . The kids club staff were great and worked hard and long hours Katrina was so good to the kids and you could tell she loved her job. We had no trouble changing large bills for smaller at cashier. We used bank machine just outsde resort . We booked a van and driver through Scotts tours for 6 hours to show us the real mexico. We were in building 3 facing the ocean and it had an elevator so transporting luggage a breeze. The kids loved the ocean and boogie boards. They got stung by jelly fish a few times but not enough to keep them out of water. The pools were great also, many choices. We were there for 2 weeks so took in our laundry on way into Bucerias and picked up next day. We liked the town and walked in a few times and took a taxi back. $4.00 each way for 4 people. The shows were good for the most part but left a few as not appropriate for all ages. Mexican night the best for entertainment. They have games to earn RDC bucks to use to bid on later at show. They also have fireworks. Most days vendors set up on Resort but no pressure to buy and even the beach vendors would leave you alone if you said no. We liked everything about the place except the food . We would not go back for that reason only.

• Liked — the cleanliness
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ottawa, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2008

Travelled from Ottawa by bus to Montreal for depature by plane.

Grounds:

- beautiful, well maintained, and clean

Transportation to-and-from Hotel: 4 stars

- comfy

Rooms: 4 stars

- maintained, and clean

Beach: 4 star

- always being cleaned
- not overpopulated with vacationers
- occasional local salesmen roaming/trying to sell
- showers available near steps down to beach
- volleyball, and water activites are available by booking in morning... Motorized water-sports has a fee (had a blast on the Seadoo)
* water is not clear
* occasional washed up sea creatures on beach (carefull, I almost stepped on a blow fish)

Pools: 4 stars

- always being cleaned
- great adult pool, very relaxing (near section 5)

Bars: 5 stars

- great service!!
- friendly staff
- awesome drinks (great operating hours)

Restaurants: 5 stars

- excellent food!!
- a huge variety

A La Carte Restaurants: 5 stars

- must be reserved in morning cause it very well demanded
- excellent food!!

Disco: 3 stars

- went once, so so (not much happening there)
- drinks are available, and included

Entertainment: 4 stars

Off Resort Trips Options: (available packages offered in lobby by your tour operator)

- great variety
- need to pay fee for taxi depending where you are going (available in front of resort)

Markets Near By: 3 stars

- don't be afraid to say no
- a fair variety of things for sale

Went with my Martial Arts group.
Friend (Sensai) got married at same time as our vacation...It was beautiful!!

As for the rest... I have gotten the chance to experience. I hope my review helps.

P.S Had new upgrades done...During our vacation, we seen section 6 being built (some of use was in section 5 to be able to see it... during construction, it was not too noisy, I was suprised).
- I would love to return, and would feel safe with my child there.

Enjoy your trip.

• Stayed November 2005
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2008

I read a lot of these reviews before I went to the Royal Decameron, and was a bit wary. However, my experience was so overwhelmingly positive that I'm wondering if some of these reviewers were at the same hotel as I was.

Many people complain about the food-- I had good experiences almost everywhere in the complex, and I don't eat meat! Breakfast was excellent because there was a cook to prepare fresh omlettes (or any other kind of egg) every day. We usually had a big breakfast, skipped lunch and booked at one of the a la carte restaurants for dinner, thus avoiding most of the buffets.

Even in the buffet restaurants, at night you can get an excellent pasta with freshly sauted vegetables and Alfredo sauce merely by waiting in line for a few minutes. Every restaurant had an excellent salad bar, but it was often worth asking about some of the more unfamiliar salads, as meat appears in the most surprising of places. (Even in some of the bean & rice dishes.)

Every a la cart restaurant was worth the visit. My mother is a meat eater and usually found the meat to be a bit tough but never dry. I was always able to find enough to eat either on the menu or on the salad bar. The best dish I ate was the saffron rice with shrimp at the Italian restaurant. Skip the bouillabaisse-- the shrimp were overdone and mushy, but the huge piece of fish and a couple of mussels were nicely done. However, it comes without any rice, pasta, or vegetables-- I should have asked for them.

But the resort is much more than the food-- it's a beauiful complex full of well-tended gardens, perfectly green lawns, and lots of flowering shrubs. What a welcome contrast to Winnipeg's winter!

The pools are not heated, but I found them quite comfortable -- and the ocean was lovely any time of the day. Those who think the water is too cold must be used to vacationing farther south. I tend to do real swimming, so both the ocean and the pools were just right for me.

The best part of the resort was the staff. They were all very friendly and kept the place looking spotless. I especially loved Rosa Maria who waited on our table in the buffet in block 5 every morning-- she was always smiling and chatting-- and made sure our coffee cups stayed full. A particular treat was the fresh squeezed orange juice every morning and the heaps of fresh papaya. I loved the "breakfast birds"-- and I never saw them eating out of the granola bowl. They tended to swoop in and eat leftovers at the bussing stations but were too timid to bother us at our table.

I'm not a big drinker, so I can't say that I noticed that the alcoholic drinks were weak. I'm sure if those who were concerned about alcoholic content asked the bartenders for an extra shot, they'd get it, especially if they left a tip. The staff works hard and not all guests seem to show their appreciation by tipping. I heard from a Canadian woman who runs a bed and breakfast close to the resort that the chamber maids make only $3 a day-- tip them! The servers work for a subcontractor and seem to tip share, but I have no idea what they earn. Rosa said that she worked serving for a wedding one night and made an extra $30, but she still had to be back at work by 7:00 a.m. (She worked a 16-hour day that day!)

The activitiy staff is great. I went to a few Spanish classes and actually learned enough to get around on the buses and in the market. The dancing lessons were fun and so was the aquacise. Those young people work very hard to make sure that we have fun and they work long hours. On Thursdays, Mexican fiesta night, they work from 8:00a.m. to 11p.m. One of them told me that they get a nice room in a three bedroom townhouse, free meals, and about $250 every two weeks, which is considered a good job in that area,

The dancers who put on the shows most nights were professionals. They practise every day and it shows. Sure, they put on a few cheezy shows with lipsynching, but when they did dance, they were excellent. The rock & roll night was especially well done. (However, I'd avoid any nights that they have off-- Sunday and Tuesday, when the the rest of the activity staff put on a summer camp-like evening which usually involves embarassing the guests and rewarding the participants with a free bottle of tequila.)

Some people complained about not getting the rooms they requested, but I got what I asked for-- a room on the main floor of block 5 because I was with my elderly mother. We arrived in the middle of the night, however, and no one took us to our room or transported our suitcases, which was a challenge for my mother. The rooms are very basic but our beds had a thick foam cushion on them that made them quite comfortable. Our air conditioner worked well, but we tended to use it only at night when we wanted our patio door locked. If we tried to shower between 4 & 5 in the evening, there was only lukewarm water, but other times of the day, the water was hot and the showers were generous-- they didn't have those annoying water-saving heads.

And the beach.... it was lovely and I was always able to find a chair under a palapas despite te early-risers who claimed spaces that they then left vacant for most of the day! As for a sewage smell.... I think those people who complained about that were smelling the sulphur from the well water that was used in the fresh water showers on the beach. I saw no sewer pipes and the only place I smelled anything on the beach was when we walked into Bucerias past a slightly swampy part where the seasonal creek leaves a bit of a mud hole.

The weather was perfect for the two weeks were were there-- sunny and warm without being too hot. If you go to the beach in the morning, there is little wind, and then you can move up to the pools in the afternoon when the sun has warmed them and get shelter from the wind which seemed to rise every afternoon-- except, of course on the day that I'd booked my catamaran ride...

Sure-- it isn't a 5-star resort-- but it doesn't claim to be. For the price, I don't have much to complain about. Anywhere but Winnipeg in February would be nice, but I think that the Decameron is good value-- and I loved being near sleepy Bucerias rather than noisy, busy Puerto Vallarta. (Which was fun to visit on the bus, btw.)

(And if you do't like the prices on the resort, or have trouble with the cashiers, go to the money exchange on the street corner near the main lobby-- you get a better rate of exchange, better service, and cheaper internet access. The fastest and cheapest that I found, however, was in downtown Bucerias at the Marcos II restaurant-- about $1.50/hr.)

Leave the resort and have some fun in the town-- it's safe and friendly-- one of the vendors in the market even takes Canadian Tire money!

• Liked — The serving staff and activity leaders.
  • Disliked — Lukewarm showers
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
British Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

I'll keep this short & to the point. We have been to Mexico dozens of times & stayed everywhere from super high-end to private apartments. I am not a fan of all-inclusive resorts of any caliber.
PROS:
This resort has quite nice grounds & the beach is one of the nicer in Pto. Vallarta. The staff are also very friendly (above average, actually). Bucerias is about a 15 min walk & has a number of good restaurants/bars. This is important because of the...
CONS:
The food & drinks are the worst I've come across at any resort I've stayed in. At the bars you will not see any recognizable brand of liquor (except Sol beer) & all drinks are made with cheap, syrupy bar mix. Think Rum & Tang...yum.

A lot of other guests really liked the place so I guess it's a question of what you're looking for & how important food & drink quality is to you. We had a good time in spite of the deficiencies just don't go in expecting too much. We will not be staying here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Food/Drinks
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Powell River
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2008

Nice place,very clean, good food kind of,too many smokers around the pools espicaliy if the french canadians are there. Terrible service at their cashiers.They won't let you change your money for smaller bills and they don't have a bank machine on the premises.In Mexico all they think about is trying to get your money so if you want change you have to buy something.The banits on the beach hound you steady even if you are sleeping they won't leave you alone.This was our first trip to this resort and it wasn't good enough to get us to return!!

Stayed February 2008

Been to Royal Decameron Complex? Share your experiences!