“Lived up to the hype” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parrot Cay
NJ
“Lived up to the hype”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I had been hearing about this resort for years - and am finally glad I made the trip. From the start, we were met atthe airport and shuttled over to the boat, for a beautiful ride. We were transported by golf carts to our wonderful room with amazing views. The rooms here are not "fancy" by modern standards but are more beachy, our room 303 was awesome. We spent 8 days at the pool / beach and did not have a single complaint about the service. We found all the staff to be there for every need without being intrusive. I must give a special thank you to Carlos by the pool - he always seemed to be right there when i needed him. The food is very much top quality and we loved having the choices of both menus. There are a ton of food options for even a picky eater. While the food is expensive, it is the Islands and food is always expensive, so we got the all inclusive food and was very glad after the fact. We went to the spa on two occastions and I have to say it was the best spa experience EVER. We have travelled all over the world - and no spa massage holds a candle to this. After spending 8 days there, my only complaint was that i had to leave.......Already planning my return.

A hats off to Grant and the entire team - for a job well done.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Grantnoble, General Manager at Parrot Cay by COMO, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your time with us, and I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Grant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We have been to Parrot Cay 5 times in the last decade and loved the place. Staff are excellent, food healthy and delicious, great pool for swimming laps early morning and a beautiful beach.

However, tragically for us, Como has made the decision to focus on families with children and Parrot Cay has changed and is no longer the tasteful, peaceful respite it once was. Screeching children running wild, diapers being changed poolside. What a shame! I would no longer recommend this place for couples without children. I agree with other comments that the resort has lost its sheen.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review.

You are correct that Parrot Cay does welcome families, and I am sorry that this put a damper on your vacation.

I have however checked our records, and during the time of your stay, we only had 3 children on property.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a place to celebrate a special anniversary. A friend had recommended Parrot Cay and we were not disappointed. The trip to get there was long; women should remember to bring a clip for the boat ride out to the island. The journey is worth it. The resort is small -only 60 odd rooms and villas. Service is impeccable without being intrusive. Our room was understated elegance. We could watch the sunrise over the ocean from the bed. We could watch the sunset from the terrace which overlooked the water. The beach was just pristine. I liked having the two menus - the shambala health menu and the regular menu - to choose from at both restaurants. It was so quiet at the resort. My husband took his first yoga class and loved it. Morning walks along the 1+-mile beach were the best way to start the day. We returned refreshed and renewed.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your very kind review, the team and I are so happy that you enjoyed your time with us.

I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Happy New Year

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was our 6th year in Parrot Cay and as always we had the most wonderful week, returning home refreshed, relaxed and feeling incredibly healthy. Parrot Cay provides the peace and relaxation of a small intimate resort while offering active individuals (such as us!) a great gym, running trails, water-sports and tennis. The spa is exceptional and we are always delighted with the quality of the massage therapy. The rooms are elegantly tropical with touches of local and Balinese art - we always find them very clean and comfortable. The food (we enjoyed breakfast at the Terrace and dinner at Lotus) is tremendous in terms of choice, preparation and taste. The service is quite exceptional and our greatest stress is trying to remember the names of each of the many wonderful members of staff that make our stay each year so special such that we can commend them in our evaluation. We are already looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Grantnoble, General Manager at Parrot Cay by COMO, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review, and for your loyalty to Parrot Cay, the team and I are very happy that you enjoyed your time with us.

We all look forward to welcoming you for the seventh time.

FireIsland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

We had wanted to visit this resort for years - we were not disappointed. The staff, grounds (gardens and paths), beach, food and drinks - pool, restaurants and spa all met our expectations. The rooms are what we enjoy at a beach resort - decorated in a low key tasteful and comfortable style. With that said they are in need of updating/renovation, while still maintaining a simple smart look and atmosphere that fills this beautiful resort.

Special thank you to the entire staff. The Parrot Cay survey asks to name one staff member who stood out - impossible and for me unfair. The entire personnel were equally wonderful, the resort is fortunate to have them.

Looking forward to our return.

Wow!!

I am so happy that it was worth the wait, and that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you for recognizing the team, and the effort that they put in to making each stay memorable.

We all look forward to seeing you back in the very near future.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

This is our 3rd stay at Parrot Cay. Overall, it was a fantastic experience, especially the 2 unforgettable massages at the Spa, the incredible food at Lotus, and the gorgeous beach. I was slightly disappointed in 2 areas where I feel corners were cut since my first visit in 2012:
1. The transfers to and from the airport seem to be by outsourced taxis/vans, as opposed to their own staff who did the transfers last year. I felt a bit unsafe in the hands of the very elderly driver from the airport to the Welcome Center on our arrival, and I was just about to carry my own luggage on and off the van as she seemed very frail. Fortunately there were some staff at the Welcome Center who helped with the luggage.
2. The Afternoon Tea has deteriorated in quality. Also there aren't any choices for gluten-free clients.

Apart from these issues, the rest of the stay was just as I expected. The staff are very friendly, and responsive to our needs. The Asian cuisine at Lotus was superb. Loved the fact that I could drink coconut juice out of a Thai coconut during breaks playing tennis on the Omni court. Loved the pure white sand on the beach and the clear turquoise water and that you don't have to share the beach with more than a few people at a time. Siki worked wonders on my neck and shoulders during the Indian Head Massage at Como Shambhala. Loved that I could sit in the peaceful outdoor jacuzzi and look up at the stars.

Room Tip: We had a garden view room, which was more than adequate.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Grantnoble, General Manager at Parrot Cay by COMO, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are all happy that you continue to enjoy your time with us and thank you for your constuctive feedback.
I will be adressing these shortfalls with the team to ensure that they are improved.

I look forward to seeing you back very soon,

Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

This was our second time in Parrot Cay and we spent two weeks here this November 2013. We had wonderful memories from our 10 days in 2011 and were really looking forward to experience the Parrot Cay magic again.

Brimming with excitement and high expectations, we were picked up in Provo by a representative from Parrot Cay and our transfer to the island was absolutely fine. We booked a one-bedroom villa on the beach (very expensive, but it is also very large), and we were shown directly to the villa upon arrival without having to check in at the reception. The arrival was perfect, also the requested electricity adapters were brought over very swiftly.

Our one-bedroom beach villa contained a very large living room with a big TV and a dining area, a bedroom with an adjacent bathroom and dressing room (in the bathroom), a conservatory, as well as a small kitchen and an extra small bathroom with shower. Outside we had a small heated pool, a table with chairs and sunbeds. The style is not that of great luxury, but more down-to-earth, in white and natural colours and rough textures. We both liked that, even though it was clear that they villa was a little old. Unfortunately, the villa had several flaws:

1. There was a distinct foul (sewer or latrine) smell in the bedroom and at the entrance to the villa, mostly noticeable after it had been raining, and it had been raining a lot. My boyfriend did not notice it much, but I am quite sensitive to smells and it made half of my stay quite difficult, especially at night. I woke up feeling physically sick a few times. After I mentioned it to the cleaning staff, they decided to solve the issue by burning perfume oils, which I found even worse.
2. All doors inside the villa had slits in the wood, looking like blinds, making them quite useless. This included the bathroom doors, which meant rather embarrassing bathroom moments.
3. The indoor shower did not have a door or a curtain, so flooding the bathroom floor daily was inevitable (there were also no shower hoses).
4. Our TV had some really bad sound output - we had to rely on subtitles to understand what was being said when we watched movies. Since there isn't much to do after dark (17:00) other than watch TV, this was quite infuriating.
5. Towels were abundant but often spotted with stains.
6. The toilets were leaky (and hence noisy).

I must add, that there was generally a great readiness to help, so no complaint fell on deaf ears. We did not voice most of these issues, because nothing could be done. The resort needs an overhaul with some new technology and someone, who takes quality of construction very very seriously.

The food was good and mostly very healthy (there is this great Como Shambala spa menu). Of course, everything is insanely expensive, but hardly surprising. What I did not like was the never ever changing breakfast buffet (except that they sometimes switched between blueberries and raspberries). On day 6 or 7, I already longed for at least some variation.

The spa is probably great - I did not risk a massage as I have some herniated disks. I did have a (complimentary) manicure which was fine.

Some staff members were very attentive and really did their best (I remember Yoga and Restu from the Terrace restaurant, Oka and Sunisa from the Lotus restaurant) and some staff members seemed to think the guests were a bit of a nuisance. Very mixed feelings here.

The gym was great, especially when the towels were in.

The beach was a dream, and nothing can spoil that. It is the ultimate luxury to be able to walk into the sunset on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and meet almost no one on the way.

Overall, it is hard to beat the beauty of the beach and the relaxed blissful feeling of the resort. We still came home very rested and will probably retain only the positive memories. However, the devil is in the detail and the few small but bothersome issues combined with prices being what they are, forced us to seriously discuss looking for a new location for our next beach holiday.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, and we all enjoy welcoming you back, thank you for your support.

We all look forward to welcoming you back again.

Grant

Been to Parrot Cay by COMO? Share your experiences!