We cut short our stay at Parrot Cay - in under 24 hours. Such a disappointment as we had been looking forward to a quiet and relaxing vacation. The key problem being the accommodation - other reviews have described it as outdated, I would go several steps further to say it is grotty and equivalent to a 3-star hotel in the US. I would like to highlight the following issues:
- we were left waiting at the airport. There was no representative to greet us and the other guests arriving on our flight. Greeters from another hotel had to call a representative from Parrot Cay, who arrived some time later.
- upon arrival we were escorted to our room, an ocean view room. It was very small, dirty, grotty, dated furniture, stained towels and sheets. Worst of all was the bathroom - chipped tiles in the shower, no door on the very small shower. Generally dirty, aged and completely unacceptable. We requested another room immediately. In fairness we were moved immediately to a COMO suite. Although much larger the underlying quality of the room, especially the bathroom and furnishings, were unacceptable. Please note the cleanliness is not an issue re housekeeping but more the dated rooms and furnishings. We could not settle in the room and complained to the manager.
- The response of the manager was exceptional - he handled our complaint quickly and attempted to do everything he could to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, despite his best efforts, there were no suitable rooms available (all the villas were occupied).
- towels at the pool were old, ripped and stained.
- the food was very expensive for average quality.
It appears that the hotel is currently under renovation and the villas have been the priority. While it is appreciated that this takes time the main block of the building is at an unacceptable level for a hotel of this co-called standing. This is such a disappointment as the location and beach are fabulous - exactly what we were looking for, being very quiet and relaxed. However, there are a number of quality resorts nearby at a similar price point so we decided to move immediately.
I would like to thank the staff and management team for their positive reaction to our compliant and am very grateful to them for refunding the deposit we paid when making our initial reservation. In addition the restaurant and breakfast staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Such a lot of potential but significant investment required to some fundamental aspects of this resort. Please see some of my reviews of other properties (e.g. 4 Seasons, Viceroy in Anguilla) which are the standard that Parrot Cay should aspire to achieve.
One final point - a very small section of staff had an attitude that only people staying in the villas mattered. I appreciate that the villas are more expensive and profitable for the resort however the other rooms are not priced as bargain discounts and all guests should be treated with the same respect. This aspect was very disappointing.
- Also Known As:
- Parrot Cay
- Parrot Cay Providenciales
- Parrot Cay Turks Caicos
- Parrot Cay Resort
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Parrot Cay by COMO in the Turks and Caicos is the northern Caribbean’s preeminent private island. It combines nature—1000 unspoilt acres, a mile-long powdered beach—with relaxed luxury and the multi-award-winning COMO Shambhala Retreat, which offers a range of holistic, Asian-inspired therapies as well as yoga and Pilates with world-class tuition. Accommodation, comprising whitewash interiors with chic teak finishing, includes beachside houses and villas. The island also features private residences, offering absolute privacy away from the main resort. The island’s two restaurants serve gourmet and easy dining as well as healthy COMO Shambhala Cuisine. Watersports, diving and island adventures complete the Parrot Cay experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Splendia, Tingo, Otel, Hotels.com, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your Parrot Cay by COMO reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.