“I dream of Parrot Cay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parrot Cay
Toronto, Canada
“I dream of Parrot Cay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

It's been over a week since my return from Parrot Cay and I still can't figure out exactly what it is that makes the resort and island so very special. I think you have to go to know. Yes, the resort is expensive but you know that when you book. Yes, there are mosquitoes but I never got bitten. Yes, you are on an island with two restaurants & no nightly entertainment but isn't that the point?

The magic begins flying into Provo. Turks & Caicos is breathtakingly tropical. After going through customs it was easy to spot the Parrot Cay representative. We were taken in an SUV to the dock while being entertained by the knowledgeable driver. The welcome centre was great for a quick snack & drink then onto the boat. What a fun ride. When we got to Parrot Cay the golf carts were waiting. I loved the rum punch welcome drink and would have been happy to "check-in" for longer.

We stayed in Pirate House aptly named for the pirates who once roamed the area. The 3 bedroom villa is on the highest point of the island with great views. Everything I could think of was there from flat screen TV's, bose sound systems and big comfy furniture to umbrellas, flip flops and even a book light next to the bed. We spent most of our time lounging at the infinity pool. I loved the bathroom products. Ice and fresh fruit was replenished daily. There was a kettle & tea so I called and voila, an espresso machine appeared. My son wanted some Lay's chips and voila, they picked them up from Providenciales! I could get used to this lifestyle. By day 2 I felt like I was home. We took the half board option for dinner only and paid for lunch with portions big enough to share. You can choose to dine in either the Terrance (Italian) or Lotus (Asian) and I took advantage of being able to order any meal in your room for a $5 tray charge. The Fish & Chips is my favourite but everything is fresh & delicious. Thanks to Yoga and Restu for taking care of us at Terrance.

I wish I had the words to describe the beach. It is the best I have ever seen. The sand is like white flour. Everywhere you look is picture perfect and no waiting for a lounge chair. My favourite part was the blue flag to plant in the sand for drinks and food. We visited the fitness center to look and it looked great. The bar by the main pool served up delicious cocktails and had a wonderful romantic feel at night. We enjoyed afternoon tea in the library, free WIFI everywhere you go and DVD's available to watch at "home".

After reading reviews on TripAdvisor, I committed a cardinal sin by not visiting the spa so I will, hopefully, be correcting that mistake on a future visit. To sum up my week, everything about Parrot Cay was relaxing. It got to the point where I wanted to call someone to carry me to the beach. I slept well, ate well and totally relaxed. All the staff were wonderful with Grant, the general manager stopping by the tables for a quick chat at dinner to the ladies at the front desk who had the warmest smiles. Turn down service is another treat.

When we left the island, the boat stopped so we could watch as a mother & baby dolphin swam by. It was an unforgettable Au Revoir to Parrot Cay & Turks & Caicos.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Grantnoble, General Manager at Parrot Cay by COMO, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review, it is very much appreciated by the team and I. We look forward to welcoming you back, and the team from the spa are eagerly awaiting your visit.

Grant Noble

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

In the Summer of 2011, my wife and I had a chance to get away for a week and after much research, settled on Parrot Cay. From the outset, let me be perfectly clear: this is NOT an inexpensive hotel nor vacation. On top of fairly expensive rooms, you will pay for very expensive meals. The one caveat is that a fabulous, healthy breakfast is included with the price of the room. In the week we were there, we never tired of the selections for breakfast and often opted for one of the "spa" meals which are low fat, low sodium, low calorie, but very delicious. (We ate well througout the vacation, and actually came home having lost several pounds.) If you go, expect to pay at least $100/person for dinner with a glass of wine. Of all the dinners we ate, only the first (on barbeque night) was disappointing and not worth the cost. Once you get past sticker shock and accept your fate (since it's somewhat laborious getting off the island and into Provenciales and back for dinner), the dinners were quite good. Normally, we don't eat lunch, and didn't while at the resort, so I can't vouch for quality, though I would expect the cost to be proportionately high. In all fairness, EVERYTHING must be imported -- not only to Parrot Cay (it's own private island), but to Turks and Caicos in general.

The rooms themselves were good, but nothing special - white with (unneeded) mosquito netting around the bed. Our room did have a wonderful, full-length soaking tub, and the provided bath amenities were sensational. Though overpriced (of course), we bought shampoo and soap to bring home. We also made use of some of the free spa activities (like beginner's yoga) and the kayaks to paddle around the bay side. I used, twice, the massage and acupuncture and acupressure services and can say the therapists were absolutely first class. (I suffer from a number of back issues and frequently get massages as one of the few things that gives me relief.)

We also made use of their free ferry service which took us across to Middle Caicos so we could rent a car to drive through Middle and Lower Caicos Islands (a micro review in itself). However, "car rental" is a very loose term. We rented a Jeep (highly recommended), but it was obviously "rented" from "John" for the day. I.E. - I believe most of the rental vehicles actually belong to someone else who they call and say "Hey John I've got some tourists who want a Jeep. Let me rent your Jeep for the day. I'll give you half." It was an adventure, but we made it there and back in one piece. In the course of the drive, you can see first hand the over-speculated development in parts of the islands where the construction just stopped or the "streets" are laid out, but nothing is there.

I've saved the best for last. Service. The service at the hotel is the best I've seen almost anywhere in the world and probably really rates 6-stars -- from the Assistant General Manager with whom we had the pleasure to speak on a number of occasions to housekeeping. Our particular housekeeper in enquired frequently if we were having a good time and wanted to know if there was anything she could do. She said "this is my country and I am proud of it and want you to leave with a good feeling so you will come back". The wait staff in the dining areas is particularly good, and are mostly from Bali, Indonesia and Thailand -- areas with a sterling reputation in hotel service.

Finally, the beach is quiet, long (though not terribly deep) and very clean with excellent service (again). And don't be surprised if you happen to see some Hollywood celeb taking a quick break. We nodded hello to Laurence Fishburn on one of our evening beach strolls.

Room Tip: If you have the money, try to get a bungaloe by the ocean -- very private and very nice. Also, a gre...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very helpfull review, and the kind comments about our resort, and the team. We are constantly striving to be better, and this includes our food and beverage pricing, where we are looking at new purchasing suppliers, in order to reduce the prices on our menu.

Providenciales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This resort is located on a private island and a 30 minute boat ride from Providenciales. The hotel is what one would expect of a five star establishment. What makes it special is the "feel" of Parrot Cay. There are no cars on the island and is a great place to bike, jog or walk the lovely paths around the island. The regular rooms are small but very pretty. If you can spare the cash, go for the l bedroom suite. The rooms are well equipped and has a really good mini-bar. They have two restaurants and I particularly enjoyed eating at the one by the pool. They have a special spa cuisine menu for those who prefer healthy food. Cell phones are not allowed in the restaurants which is much appreciated. The landscape is beautiful and this resort has found a way to control mosquitoes which made my stay even more enjoyable. Special mention to Liz at front desk. She is wonderful. The only downer is having to leave.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your review on the resort, I will pass your comments on to LIz, whilst it is a downer to leave, the good thing is that you can always come back, and the team and I look forward to welcoming you.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Let me start by saying that traveling & staying at $500/night minimum is what we indulge in. So I've been to a lot of hotels, resorts, spas of this kind all over the world. I went to Parrot Cay with my husband for 4 days full of high hopes. There was a tropical storm during most of the time we were there so we had to stay in our $600/night room for most of the time. We tried to talk to the manager several times to see if the hotel could cover for one of our dinners, or some drinks or something that'd show they actually cared about us, but it never happened. We're not the complaining type but the service (besides the non attention from the manager) was poor, the tiny suite we were caged had an 'ocean view' somewhat obstructed by the bungalow in front of us, the mattress had caved in and by the end of the 4th day my low back hurt so much I could barely walk, the breakfast buffet (included in the $600) had very few selections so if you're one of those people that like to try different foods every morning, this is not your place: stick to cornflakes (3 types), eggs (3 kinds) & pastries. I'm not saying Hotel Bahia del Duque (Canary Islands, Spain) where they had a freaking volcano of melted chocolate where you could cover your fresh made beignets but seriously.... for the price we paid, the breakfast was right out of a hostal.
The dinners were probably the nicest part, when it didn't rain. We didn't include them for $200/night more but we should have done it. It was a complete RIP OFF. Soups & salads around $20, entrees for $40, cocktails for $18.... that sort of thing. Again, not a big selection of anything.
One last thing, the resort is quite a ride from Providenciales (PLS) airport. You get a free van ride with other guests at your arrival/departure. That takes about 15 min. You arrive at a charming cabin where you wait for the boat (we waited for quite a while) and then it's a 30-40 min ride to the resort. Too far for what it is.
Beware there's no signs of any kind inside the resort so if you get lost looking for the yoga pavilion bring your compass with you or wait for an employee to pass by to show you the way. Also, at night there's very little light everywhere when walking around. Careful with the small lizards & little animals

Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My wife and I wanted a vacation spot that was more intimate, relaxed, and the antithesis of a huge resort. We left the kids at home and were blown away at the attention to premium service that was at Parrot Cay. This is not a Sandals experience but more of a 5 star, premium, relaxing answer to the craziness that often surrounds a 300 room resort. If you are looking for a boutique type of feel, then Parrot Cay is the place. The food, quality of rooms, and spa services were 5 star all the way. I was also blown away at their ability to accommodate food allergies. Best vacation in years.

Room Tip: Garden rooms were nice but opt for Ocean, worth the money.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your very kind review, the team and I are thrilled that you enjoyed you stay so much, we look forward to welcoming you back, not one day, but very soon.

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I am writing this review a little late, but always said I'd get around to it.

My husband and I came here for a week in August 2010 for our Honeymoon. Parrot Cay was amazing, and we cannot wait to come back one day!

We stayed in an ocean view room. The bathroom was very big, and the bed was so comfortable. We loved laying around on the porch, looking at the ocean. I also loved the toiletries that they provided in the room, the smell was absolutely wonderful.

The food was excellent! We had all of our meals included in our package, which was definitely the way to go. The room service menu was also great, which we ordered from a few times. I do with the Mediterranean Restaurant had been open a few more nights when we were there, but the other restaurant was very good. Breakfast is usually my least favorite meal of the day, but at Parrot Cay I loved eating breakfast everyday. There was so much to choose from.

The service was outstanding the entire time.

My husband and I only left the resort twice to go fishing, which was very fun. The bonefishing was great.

We also had a few spa treatments, and these were excellent as well.

I can't say enough great things about this resort. I cannot wait for us to come back one day!

Room Tip: We loved our ocean view room.
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I will begin by saying I spent 4 nights with my wife at Parrot Cay (we are a young couple age 30) and we went because we were looking to get away to a quiet resort and just enjoy each other's company and get away from the city for a bit. Parrot Cay offered that. It was an excellent choice for what we wanted. Now for my review.

First, I will tell you what Parrot Cay is NOT. It is not a place to go party, it is not a place to be loud and pretentious. It is not loaded with constant activities. You won't find an organizer or cruise director type anywhere. There are no clubs nor is there loud music at the pool. Now I will tell you what Parrot Cay is. It is a plantation-style resort on its own island. The resort is at the northeastern tip of the island and it faces north toward the ocean. There are private homes on the island belonging to celebrities that are somewhat part of the Parrot Cay resort but if you blink you'll miss them. People go here to get away and not be bothered. The staff is helpful but not in your face. If you want something, ask and they will help. They go about their business and respect that you want to go about yours. The other guests are typically the same way. I truly believe if you rent a villa on the island, you could probably go your entire stay without encountering another guest. That said, staying in the resort rooms isn't so bad either.

The rooms are well appointed. We had an ocean view room which had a king sized bed, a seating area, a huge balcony and a large bathroom. I don't know why other reviewers complained about rust and things like that in the bathroom. Ours was just fine, and yes it's a cold hard tile floor, but it's the Caribbean. That's how things go.

When you arrive at the airport, a car will be waiting to take you about 20 minutes to a private dock where you will wait for the private ferry to take you to Parrot Cay. In all, this can take about an hour total. It's an enjoyable ride and they take care of your bags. That being said, now that you are away from civilization, you are pretty much stuck at the resort for the length of your stay, which has its pros and cons. The cons are you can't really explore Provo or any restaurants there. The pros are that you are secluded, it is quiet, and you can really unwind without having to worry too much.

You must eat at the resort. Food is expensive, but when you think about what it takes to get it there, you can understand why. But the food is very good. Do not get the meal package they offer when booking. It isn't worth it. Breakfast is included and they put out a nice spread. My wife and I enjoy our food and we didn't both eat an appetizer, entree and dessert at each meal, which is what you'd get with the meal plan. We found that the portions were large enough to even eat an appetizer or first course as a meal. I'm not a small person either, so trust me on this one. We also found it to be too hot to consume a large amount of food. There is one restaurant by the pool which is all outside and has an Asian flare to it. The inside restaurant is in the main house and is more continental. We found ourselves preferring the poolside Asian restaurant for dinner.

In all I have to say it was a great stay at Parrot Cay. I have very few minor complaints. Once, we asked to not be seated at a particular table at the restaurant and they denied our request stating they needed those other tables. Meanwhile those tables stayed empty for the rest of the night. Service was also slightly slow at times. Poolside drink service was hit or miss. It really depended on whether or not the guy felt like coming around. It's easier just to go up to the bar and get your own. Also they try to get you on the water when you eat. They ask "sparkling or still?" Still means bottled and they charge $7 for it. Just say "tap water" and you'll get it for free. There is also no iron in the room. They have an electric kettle, a full bar, a tv, blu-ray dvd player, but no iron. But I guess you could pay for their pressing service. Those are my complaints. Like I said, nothing major.

What I did like about it was that I was able to do my own thing and not be tied to schedules or event planners. Everyone is there to relax and unwind and they let you do that. Everyone is respectful of your privacy from the staff to other guests. The crowd was a mix of Americans and Europeans (Germans, Italians, French, Brits). Some South American as well. I'd say 70% American and 30% rest of world. Many people had children, although I don't really see how much fun this place would be for kids. I wouldn't recommend it since it's so secluded and kids really have to try to make their own fun. I'd say it's more geared toward adults. While it's not kid unfriendly, I just think kids would have a better time elsewhere.

You charge everything to your room, which is nice. They are quite accurate and not-forgetful when charging things to your account. If you want something, you can get it and will get it, but you will pay. Nothing is done for free. The room rate is higher than at other resorts in T&C but I think that is for a reason.

So if you're looking to relax and just unwind and enjoy the sun and beach, Parrot Cay is the right place for you. If you need constant activity or a party, spring break environment, then go somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Parrot Cay by COMO? Share your experiences!