My girlfriend and I stayed five lovely, relaxing days in "Sunrise." What you see in the photos is what you get - a nearly deserted gorgeous beach just below the property and breathtaking views of the coastline from the cliffs above. The beach is fantastic for close-to-shore swimming and wading, but not for snorkeling. In fact, we didn't have good snorkeling anywhere on Middle Caicos (or Provo due to heavier than normal surf for a couple of days). The beach is accessed by a short pathway or steps, and we literally never saw more than six people on the beach at any time, and we were on it all day long for five days. We usually had it all to ourselves. We also rented a Jeep and drove to Bambarra Beach twice, which was similarly empty and a change of view but I wouldn't say any better than the beach at Blue Horizon. The Sunrise cottage itself was functional and perfect for a short stay. It included a small kitchen, and best of all, a great sweeping view towards the sea with great breezes, and the sound of the ocean in the distance. One word of warning: the water pressure was low in the shower and the temperature fluctuated wildly throughout the shower. I guess the good news is that we always had hot water, which isn't true in all resorts like this.
On car rentals, I wouldn't necessarily recommend that you rent a car for your entire stay because there's not much to see on the island that's different than your immediate surroundings at Blue Horizon, or sufficiently interesting to justify the high cost (US$85/day). Our Jeep from Easy (or EZ) Rental (which was terrible to the point that it actually lost brake fluid and barely stopped on our last day) sat unused for most days.
Another word of warning: there is a major biting insect problem in the area around Blue Horizon, and probably all of Middle Caicos. I don't get affected terribly by mosquitoes normally but I was covered head to toe with itchy bites after the first day, mostly by other non-mosquito biting insects. Very annoying. By then it was too late to rectify the situation but I started using bug spray day and night in large doses which of course got old quickly. We were both ready to leave after five days, purely due to the bugs. Unfortunately, this alone will probably cause me to avoid Blue Horizon for future trips but I'm glad I saw and experienced it once and maybe you have a higher tolerance for such things.
The staff here is super friendly and was always available to assist with questions or needs. The restaurant on site is improving and provided great meals. We had enough goods from the market (both provided by Blue Horizon and from our own shopping) to make our own lunches almost every day but we used the restaurant for dinner all but one night and were impressed. The grilled local lobster was the highlight. One of the best lobster meals I've ever had.
Overall, I would highly suggest staying here or another property on Middle or North Caicos instead of Provo. I found Provo to be overpriced and too crowded. The remoteness of Blue Horizon is one of its greatest attributes. If you want a vacation with beautiful beaches, gorgeous clean water, brilliant stars at night, and not many people around, this is it!
- Also Known As:
- Blue Horizon Hotel Middle Caicos
- Blue Horizon Hotel
- Blue Horizon Resort Middle Caicos, Turks And Caicos
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blue Horizon Resort - Natural Beauty, Adventure and Tranquility. Located on Middle Caicos, Blue Horizon Resort's newly reinvented boutique eco-resort and wedding destination is unrivaled in the Caribbean. Set amidst stunning Mudjin Harbor and Dragon Cay, the scenery and tranquil turquoise waters are dramatic and unparalleled. Five fully equipped Caribbean style cottages and two larger villas are set perfectly into the landscape each with spectacular views. You will find your own private beach paradise at Blue Horizon Resort and all of our activities and excursions have been designed to compliment the natural settings without disturbing our fragile ecosystem. Concierge services are available and include tour arrangements, groceries and any special requests. Enjoy fishing, kayaking, caving and snorkeling. Or, simply relax and take pleasure in the serene beauty of your surroundings. Whether its adventure, romance or tranquility you seek this small intimate resort and friendly personal service will ensure a truly memorable escape. Our restaurant, Mudjin Bar & Grill, offers the best view in all of Turks and Caicos - Patio and indoor dining available - Serving Lunch Daily and Dinner by reservation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Blue Horizon Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.