We just spent our 10th anniversary with 3 other couples at Hollywood Beach Suites, and I must say it was exactly what my husband and I were looking for. Very private and secluded - away from the hustle and bustle. I loved having NOTHING to do and being able to enjoy the view, take walks, kayak and ride the bikes. I loved that we had 4 couples in our group and we had the place all to ourselves. It may not have been quite so much fun had we not known the people in the next suite. I would call the rooms/ building "rustic". Honestly, they could use a little updating, but we didn't go there looking for the most cutting edge and chic place. The view, the seclusion and the quiet private environment are what sold us on this place. We went in December and had strong winds while we were there, and it was very comfortable with the windows open and the breeze blowing through. It may have been a bit hot during the summer months, but I haven't been that time of year, so I am just guessing.
You must also remember that you are on a relatively poor island with limited natural resources, so your water pressure will come and go, and such. I loved this aspect of being on this island and truly getting a sense of what it is like to be a local on a little Caribbean island! The local groceries stores have limited choices, but work to supliment things you forgot to get at IGA on Provo. DON'T GET IN A TAXI AT THE AIRPORT WITHOUT FINDING OUT WHAT THE PRICE SHOULD BE AHEAD OF TIME. On the way there the cabby charged us $30 PER PERSON! On the way back is was $12 per person. They also charge you 60 cents per minute to stop at the grocery, so have your list ready and split in two. Buy Beer in Provo.. it is $15 per 6 pack on North. We enjoyed riding bikes to KJs and Big Josh McINtosh's, etc.
We biked/drove to 3 Mary Cays. It was wonderful, but if you aren't a biker (5 miles each way) take the car. I loved the bike ride!
GET A RENTAL (pay the extra $10 a day for the more expensive rental place -much better cars than the other option - because with the less exp. one you may not get breaks that work), and make a day trip to see Mudjin Harbor and explore the caves on Middle Caicos. We really enjoyed having a car to get around and explore the island, and we even hit the pool, bar and restaraunt at the St. Charles resort.
Here are our thumbs ups:
- Alveda (the Property Manager) is wonderful!!! She cooked us a good meal, caught snapper for us, made us fried plantanes, brought us bait, and even took us to church with her. When our chartered fishing trip got cancelled due to high winds/seas, she even took us and showed us good spots for fishing on our own. She will do anything for you!! Even invited us over to her home one night! I really hated saying goodbye to her.
- If you have a group of 4 couples and don't want to be bothered by other people this has plenty of seclusion - you can be as loud as you want, and still each have your own private space at the end of the night.
- Big Dog - the local security was so much fun to have around. He even escorted us down the beach to eat at the Silver Palm (Karen there is PHENOMINAL - you MUST try her cooking and her Champagne Mojitos!).
- It was fun to have the kayaks and the bikes.
- On a clear night you can sit out there and see more stars than you ever dreamed was possible.. we saw some 15 shooting stars in one night!!
- We enjoyed having little coolers to take to the beach.. and even packed our lunches in them for our day long trip to Middle Caicos.
- You can't beat opening that bedroom door in the morning and looking out at that view!!
- Even though we could use our US cell phones, we got the Property phones, anyway, because they cost less and were easier for us to call home to the kids on. Plus Alveda could get in touch with us more easily, and we with her when we needed to
Some areas that the owner could improve on/things you need to be prepared for:
- The outdoor lighting does not work. We really would have liked to spend more time on the deck and outside at night, but it was really dark until the last night when the MOON was so bright it lit the whole island. The grill on site is really nice, but when the sun goes down early, you are trying to cook on it by flashlight in the pitch black dark.
- The furniture in the suites was fine and nice enough, but the building itself could use a little updating and work. Again.. if you are looking for 5 star, this isn't for you, but it was exactly what we were looking for.
- This is a very low-key and completely NON-touristy island!! Call ahead if you want to go out to eat somewhere, so they are prepared for you. Especially in large numbers (like 8). There isn't a lot of night life, but we provided our own.
- There were little sugar ants that wandered in, so make sure you put your food away well. We just sprayed with the bug spray they have there, and had no problems with it.
- Because, again, you are on what I would call a fairly remote island, your internet access is a bit shotty. We discovered that the router was in suite #2 - in the top of the closet/laundry room, and so the couple that was part of our group would go in and reset it when we had trouble with it. You wouldn't be able to do that I guess if you didn't know the people next door to you, or if it was empty.
- The beach is beautiful, but if you want to be able to lay out on the sand in the sun all day, you need to walk down the beach to the west a bit and find the spot where there are no trees, because a good portion of the day this spot right in front it shaded.
For what we wanted and needed it was perfect - our group was perfect for it, and we took turns cooking some WONDERFUL meals in our little kitchens, so it IS possible to cook in the little kitchen despite what other posters have said about that.
Honestly, I have had trouble reinserting myself back into our lifestyle here since leaving. Wish I could figure out how to put the for sale sign in the yard and pack up our kids and go live there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Hollywood Beach Suites, a secluded intimate and tranquil paradise on the Island of North Caicos. Our four comfortable beachfront suites sit directly on a stunning seven-mile stretch of sparkling white, powder-soft sand and look out on brilliant sweeping turquoise waters. Complementary snorkeling, kayaking, biking, high-speed Internet connection, WIFI, iPod & iPhone music docking station. Complementary fine wine bottle. Take pleasure in inspiring sunrises and magnificent sunsets; daylight swims and moonlight strolls. Relax beachside where gentle cooling trade breezes pass under the shade of tall native Casaurina pines, or soak up the warm sunshine in the luxurious sand. Explore the underwater world of wonders on a snorkeling or scuba adventure to view the remarkable coral reef and tropical fish life. Discover the beautiful island scenery, with its lush vegetation, and tropical birds and butterflies. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Hollywood Beach Suites Turks And Caicos Hotel North Caicos
- Hollywood Beach North Caicos
- Hollywood Beach Suites Turks And Caicos North Caicos