“Overrated” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: European, Tapas, British, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Situated in the centre of historic Sawbridgeworth, Goose Fat and Garlic offers something for every palate and every occasion. A range of menus caters for everyone from the casual diner looking for a quick lunchtime sandwich, to a business meeting over an a la carte dinner. A set price a la carte menu during the week offers a great dining experience at a very reasonable price, and an authentic tapas menu is a great causal eating option - ideal for groups. The bar attached to the restaurant provides the perfect meeting place for those just wanting a drink, or for pre and post- meal gatherings, and is known for its great cocktails and extensive wine and beer choices. The ambiance is smart but relaxed.
London, England, United Kingdom
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went on a lunch time had fish and chips that was dished up on a wooden board with the smallest amount of chips and the fish inside didn't seem cooked through needless to say I sent it back I think it's expensive you pay for the decore and ombionce

Visited December 2012

sawbridgeworth
“Saturday Pre-Christmas Brunch With Friends”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I was most disappointed with the service and lack of table cloths, it felt like we were a bit of a nuisance wanting to eat brunch. I have been coming here for years and I feel the service has been going steadily down hill to the point where I would no longer bring friends or family here.
I think that since Craig left the staff lack training and appear to be less comitted to good service.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
“Amazing Xmas Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had an amazing Xmas day here at the Goose Fat. As per usual the staff were so friendly. The food was fab, all seven courses. The seating was nicely spaced out (unlike other establishments that want to cram as many people as poss in!) and we were not rushed.
We were a party of ten which included, a baby, young children, and adults and they couldn't do enough for us. As a family we all enjoy eating out whether it be a pub lunch or a Michelin star restaurant. We understand that it takes a lot of effort to create such a fantastic atmosphere. Well done Goose Fat, see you soon. J.Mundell.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sawbridgeworth
“Christmas Day with a great difference.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

As I was totally fed up with doing most of the Christmas feeding frenzy, I decided to let the Goose take the strain this year and I am more than glad of it!!

Most of us had opted for the fillet steal, but 2 of our party of 8 had the turkey and there were some other options taken up. The food was really good made even more tasty by the facts that I had not had to cook it and someone else was doing the washing up.

Seriously, we had a few drinks at the bar before we realised that we had a welcoming Kir to get through too. So all started well. The food was as good as always and we all had a very good time. The atmosphere was also very festive and there was a good crowd all around.

Service was great, food great.....couldn't ask for more really. Recommend it to anyone, but book early as we nearly missed the boat. Although there was a 10% service charge included in the bill, I left an extra £60 as the staff had done a good job and we went home more than full and quite jolly.

Nice one chaps.
John

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
“Brilliant, as usual”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Another superb meal at this smart and welcoming restaurant just before Christmas, my third visit since the summer. This time I had duck confit and my companion decided on the turkey ballantine ... both full of flavour and delicious, as was the recommended wine and the (shared!) dessert. The service was efficient but unobtrusive by a very pleasant young waiter, - look forward to dining there again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere